U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-03-2014, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,956 posts, read 36,230,096 times
Reputation: 9496

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BangkokNights View Post
Exactly. Actually with the US or Australia they're new world immigrant nations, so I think there's less 'claim' if you like (even if you go back far enough people have always moved around) to want to preserve their culture from outside influences. Still even the UK is a melting pot. I don't think Europe or Asia should have to be open, but limited immigration might be interesting.
Or at least allow for the possibility to accommodate the existence of a hyphen the other way. A Euro-Thai, for example, instead of a Thai-American or whatever.

Actually there are white people born and raised randomly here and there throughout Asia. But, their status is all weird, and it's almost completely inconceivable throughout Asia of their existence for masses of most Asian populations. But, having almost NO immigration policies for the most part to even accommodate the idea, makes it strenuous at best for those caught up in a situation of being born and raised aboard to even get a passport or participate in that said society.

 
Old 11-03-2014, 12:04 PM
 
1,701 posts, read 1,999,162 times
Reputation: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Actually, that's the spirit of this post. Why does everyone think that Europe should be wide-open to the world, but no one else in the world allows the same policies outside of Europe, the Americas, and OZ/NZ?
This is such a silly idea.

The two rich countries in the Americas, Canada and USA were built by immigrant communities. Today, USA needs cheap labor for farming type jobs and hi-tech workers for their IT industry. Canada continues it's very liberal immigration policies to increase population. So, I don't understand how you can compare these countries to India, Indonesia, Malaysia, etc ....
 
Old 11-03-2014, 09:24 PM
 
Location: Macao
15,956 posts, read 36,230,096 times
Reputation: 9496
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
This is such a silly idea.

The two rich countries in the Americas, Canada and USA were built by immigrant communities. Today, USA needs cheap labor for farming type jobs and hi-tech workers for their IT industry. Canada continues it's very liberal immigration policies to increase population. So, I don't understand how you can compare these countries to India, Indonesia, Malaysia, etc ....
I'm not against immigration. I'm just stating that Asia should at the minimum allow the possibility of europeans/americans people emigrating to their countries, in a reciprocal kind of way.
 
Old 11-03-2014, 10:44 PM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,221,981 times
Reputation: 11628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'm not against immigration. I'm just stating that Asia should at the minimum allow the possibility of europeans/americans people emigrating to their countries, in a reciprocal kind of way.
Why? If they don't want to, they don't want to.
 
Old 11-04-2014, 12:30 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,956 posts, read 36,230,096 times
Reputation: 9496
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Why? If they don't want to, they don't want to.
The immigration seems to be a one-way street. It gets tiring.

Think back to the Miss Universe or Miss World contest a few years ago. It was held in Mexico City. The Mexican audience booed Miss American horribly horribly horribly. It was because of an Amnesty Issue in the U.S., where there was a debate if 50 million Mexicans living in the U.S. could become automatic citizens. The issue was debated, and argued, and the idea was turned down. So, therefore Mexico was BOOing Miss America in some random beauty pageant.

I could UNDERSTAND if America had just accidentally bombed Mexico and killed 50 million people. But it was because America didn't open up its doors significantly more throwing the door competely wide open for 50 million more Mexicans becoming legal. (FOR THE RECORD, I"M NOT AGAINST THIS).

But, what I am against, is it's NOT recipricol. If I wanted to move to Mexico and become Mexican, there are gazillions of issues and loopholes and things that make it near impossible. It is so impossible, that its almost unheard to meet someone who says "Oh, I'm an American-Mexican". My parents were from Ohio, and they moved down to Mexico, they had me, and I'm American-Mexican. You'll never hear it happen, not because Americans don't ever consider doing it, it's because the laws make it damn near impossible for large numbers of Americans to just 'emigrate' en masse and make a 'Little America' in Mexico City or Guadalajara or wherever.

That's what I disagree with. The hypocrisy of it.
 
Old 11-04-2014, 01:14 AM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,221,981 times
Reputation: 11628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The immigration seems to be a one-way street. It gets tiring.

Think back to the Miss Universe or Miss World contest a few years ago. It was held in Mexico City. The Mexican audience booed Miss American horribly horribly horribly. It was because of an Amnesty Issue in the U.S., where there was a debate if 50 million Mexicans living in the U.S. could become automatic citizens. The issue was debated, and argued, and the idea was turned down. So, therefore Mexico was BOOing Miss America in some random beauty pageant.

I could UNDERSTAND if America had just accidentally bombed Mexico and killed 50 million people. But it was because America didn't open up its doors significantly more throwing the door competely wide open for 50 million more Mexicans becoming legal. (FOR THE RECORD, I"M NOT AGAINST THIS).

But, what I am against, is it's NOT recipricol. If I wanted to move to Mexico and become Mexican, there are gazillions of issues and loopholes and things that make it near impossible. It is so impossible, that its almost unheard to meet someone who says "Oh, I'm an American-Mexican". My parents were from Ohio, and they moved down to Mexico, they had me, and I'm American-Mexican. You'll never hear it happen, not because Americans don't ever consider doing it, it's because the laws make it damn near impossible for large numbers of Americans to just 'emigrate' en masse and make a 'Little America' in Mexico City or Guadalajara or wherever.

That's what I disagree with. The hypocrisy of it.
So what does this have to do with Asia, again? Mexico has an immigration policy much more open than anywhere in Asia. There's actually a ton of Americans and Europeans living in Mexico. The only reason why there aren't more is because Mexico is a developing country. Your average American is not going to drastically reduce their standard of living just for fun you know...The same reason why you don't see many Americans just wanting to move to Poland or the Baltic States. It's always, "I want to live in Ireland, UK, France, Germany, Sweden" The issue is much more complex than, " Well, I want it to be more even". Besides, like I said, Mexico is not Asia. Far far from it
 
Old 11-04-2014, 03:02 AM
 
Location: Phoenix
1,027 posts, read 901,753 times
Reputation: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Actually, that's the spirit of this post. Why does everyone think that Europe should be wide-open to the world, but no one else in the world allows the same policies outside of Europe, the Americas, and OZ/NZ?
I'm not sure about the other countries outside west but in the Philippines:

About retirement:
Philippines has a good retirement program open to ALL foreign retirees. Check the requirements on lump sum of money required.

About putting up business:
Philippines allows foreign investors (from any country) to put up a business in the country. Some restriction applies i.e. % ownership, amount of capital.

About job opportunities:
All foreigners are allowed to work in the Philippines as long as your profession do NOT fall under FINL.

About visitors:
Philippines is one of the easiest countries to get your feet on. Visitors from the developed countries can visit the country visa free for 90 days.

Does Europe, America, Australia, and NZ have such lenient policies for foreigners? I highly doubt.
 
Old 11-06-2014, 12:21 PM
bg7
 
7,697 posts, read 8,193,407 times
Reputation: 15094
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
I'm not sure about the other countries outside west but in the Philippines:

About retirement:
Philippines has a good retirement program open to ALL foreign retirees. Check the requirements on lump sum of money required.

About putting up business:
Philippines allows foreign investors (from any country) to put up a business in the country. Some restriction applies i.e. % ownership, amount of capital.

About job opportunities:
All foreigners are allowed to work in the Philippines as long as your profession do NOT fall under FINL.

About visitors:
Philippines is one of the easiest countries to get your feet on. Visitors from the developed countries can visit the country visa free for 90 days.

Does Europe, America, Australia, and NZ have such lenient policies for foreigners? I highly doubt.

Exactly. The reasons hosts of westerners aren't rushing to the Philippines isn't the weather or the restrictions. Its the crap, the garbage, the pollution, the way-excessive graft and corruption, lack of sewers, lack of rubbish collection. These are basic things which affect the quality of life.

Things which are taken for granted in first world countries.
 
Old 11-06-2014, 02:42 PM
 
6,993 posts, read 9,564,015 times
Reputation: 2957
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Exactly. The reasons hosts of westerners aren't rushing to the Philippines isn't the weather or the restrictions. Its the crap, the garbage, the pollution, the way-excessive graft and corruption, lack of sewers, lack of rubbish collection. These are basic things which affect the quality of life.

Things which are taken for granted in first world countries.
My friends in Manila tell me there's a surge in immigration from Koreans and Brazilians, not to mention mixed-blood Filipinos from the US and Europe. There's easily >100,000 Koreans residing in the Philippines not counting those who make the country their second home.
 
Old 11-06-2014, 02:48 PM
 
1,701 posts, read 1,999,162 times
Reputation: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'm not against immigration. I'm just stating that Asia should at the minimum allow the possibility of europeans/americans people emigrating to their countries, in a reciprocal kind of way.
And who says they don't?

Obviously, you wont have many young Europeans and Americans living in poorer Asian countries. But certainly, many adventurous Europeans and American retire in countries in Asia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top