U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-24-2014, 02:28 AM
 
3,751 posts, read 3,729,486 times
Reputation: 3526

Advertisements

Would you say a lot of people in the former Soviet republics, Indonesia etc are privately atheist or at least skeptical or not very devout in their Islamic faith? Or are they pretty much just as into their religion as people in countries like Iran and Saudi Arabia?

I've always got the idea that countries like Indonesia and Kazakhstan had a fairly high number of people who are not particularly religious, but I might be totally wrong being I've never been there or known many people from those countries personally.

 
Old 09-24-2014, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Elysium
6,609 posts, read 3,658,813 times
Reputation: 4597
Maybe not the leadership but things are chsnging among Iranian youth who haven't lived under the Shah.
 
Old 09-26-2014, 09:42 PM
 
19 posts, read 5,473 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Would you say a lot of people in the former Soviet republics, Indonesia etc are privately atheist or at least skeptical or not very devout in their Islamic faith? Or are they pretty much just as into their religion as people in countries like Iran and Saudi Arabia?

I've always got the idea that countries like Indonesia and Kazakhstan had a fairly high number of people who are not particularly religious, but I might be totally wrong being I've never been there or known many people from those countries personally.
Atheism in Indonesia is tiny minority but those who are not as "devout" are quiet common in urban areas, it also varies in places like city vs countryside. Rural areas tend to have more conservative population.

Alcohol drinking is common in middle-upper class Muslim families.
 
Old 09-28-2014, 05:22 PM
 
Location: Earth
4,541 posts, read 3,117,106 times
Reputation: 3375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Maybe not the leadership but things are chsnging among Iranian youth who haven't lived under the Shah.
i honestly wonder why they do not convert back to zohorastrianism. Iranians do not like arabs yet they keep the religion of their conqueror. They seem too proud a people bow their heads west. Plus, Iranian women are pretty hot. They shouldn't be covering up their heads.
 
Old 09-28-2014, 08:44 PM
 
6,731 posts, read 6,625,020 times
Reputation: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
i honestly wonder why they do not convert back to zohorastrianism. Iranians do not like arabs yet they keep the religion of their conqueror. They seem too proud a people bow their heads west. Plus, Iranian women are pretty hot. They shouldn't be covering up their heads.
Well, faith cannot just change in a sudden. There has to be a revolution.
There is no point to change back to Zohorastrianism or any religion either. Most likely, societies are just getting less and less religious.
 
Old 09-28-2014, 09:30 PM
 
Location: Earth
4,541 posts, read 3,117,106 times
Reputation: 3375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Well, faith cannot just change in a sudden. There has to be a revolution.
There is no point to change back to Zohorastrianism or any religion either. Most likely, societies are just getting less and less religious.
When faith is delivered at that sword, that's pretty sudden.
 
Old 09-30-2014, 07:13 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,954 posts, read 36,230,096 times
Reputation: 9493
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Would you say a lot of people in the former Soviet republics, Indonesia etc are privately atheist or at least skeptical or not very devout in their Islamic faith? Or are they pretty much just as into their religion as people in countries like Iran and Saudi Arabia?

I've always got the idea that countries like Indonesia and Kazakhstan had a fairly high number of people who are not particularly religious, but I might be totally wrong being I've never been there or known many people from those countries personally.
Indonesia? Privately athiest? No.

They are definitely Muslim, but there are some that are Buddhist, Christian and Hindu as well. I think in general, most believe in some kind of a religion.

There are plenty that are just secular, and don't take religion seriously. But, it's really really unusual to meet a zealous fanatic atheist, on the other side of the spectrum. I generally associate that as a very Western concept.
 
Old 09-30-2014, 01:04 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
2,482 posts, read 2,234,413 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
When faith is delivered at that sword, that's pretty sudden.
Except it took a couple of centuries for Muslims to even become the majority of the population in Iran. It took even longer for the whole country to be as Islamic as it is today.
 
Old 10-01-2014, 12:11 AM
 
Location: Jersey
2,302 posts, read 3,404,739 times
Reputation: 2039
Salman Rushdie is either an atheist or an extremely secular Muslim. That lady that married George Clooney is probably a non-practicing Muslim if she isn't a Christian. Atheism is pretty rare for people of Muslim backgrounds IME. They might drink and party, but they rarely ditch Islam all together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top