U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-17-2014, 03:56 PM
 
Location: DFW
6,804 posts, read 11,798,375 times
Reputation: 5163

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Most are not interested in western women to begin with.
If you check Chinese men's computer, almost all porn videos are Japanese.

In China, men do not usually approach unknown women either. The vast majority marry their classmate, colleague, someone from friend circle, or someone introduced by relatives.

Asian Americans, Japanese, Filipinos ... who do not spit etc. are often rejected by white women too.
Most Chinese men feel shame or loss of face if they were rejected by a woman, way more so than men from other cultures.. it's not as big of a deal for Chinese men who grew up in the West (i.e. US.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-17-2014, 04:01 PM
 
6,730 posts, read 6,625,020 times
Reputation: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
"Releasing sexual desire" is a lot easier in china. The west doesn't have anything comparable to saunas or ktvs
Yes. But probably only 1% Chinese men really go to the saunas, especially young men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2014, 04:17 PM
 
6,730 posts, read 6,625,020 times
Reputation: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Most Chinese men feel shame or loss of face if they were rejected by a woman, way more so than men from other cultures.. it's not as big of a deal for Chinese men who grew up in the West (i.e. US.)
I don't think there's any difference in this regard. Many men have been rejected one way or another.
But in China it is not a norm to ask women out unless you already know each other well from school or work, or you are introduced by friends/relatives. Internet has changed things.
It is not socially acceptable to ask a girl out just because you think she's pretty when you see her for the first time. But again, things are changing.

In fact I think men in China are more extroverted than Asian Americans in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2014, 10:28 PM
 
Location: Macao
15,954 posts, read 36,224,668 times
Reputation: 9493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I don't think there's any difference in this regard. Many men have been rejected one way or another.
But in China it is not a norm to ask women out unless you already know each other well from school or work, or you are introduced by friends/relatives. Internet has changed things.
It is not socially acceptable to ask a girl out just because you think she's pretty when you see her for the first time. But again, things are changing.
I think it's also somewhat of a myth, that in American society, you can just go up to any pretty woman you see on the street, and get a date.

I mean, sometimes the movies portrays it like that. But, it isn't the reality. That type of behavior would creep out most American women. It would really have to be just the right situation, in some way, that that would actually work.

I think with the Internet, it's even less likely to 'approach pretty girls' in the streets. That being said, that's exactly what people do in Japan. "NAMPA" culture, and westerners in Japan, find it fascinating. If that was the norm in the West, they wouldn't find it as fascinating.

However, watching 'NAMPA' work in Japan, I would have to say that 95% of the J-girls constantly being approached by J-guys involved in 'nampa', are very annoyed by them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2014, 11:51 PM
 
4 posts, read 7,190 times
Reputation: 10
I agree it would have to be in the right situation and in some way. And there are often chances of being rejected by going to any random woman, not necessarily pretty, to get a date. Both women and men have many reasons to reject dating. But in American and some western cultures, making simple friends with opposite sex on the streets is much easier than in other cultures. Western culture is less tradional and gone through a sex revolution. In the extreme traditional cultures, marriage is arranged with approvals from parents or females hide their faces.

In Asia, it is customary to get marry before a certain age level. Parents become worry if children do not get married and will "help" to look for potential spouses for them. Only in the more western Singapore and HK this urge to marry is less prevalent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I think it's also somewhat of a myth, that in American society, you can just go up to any pretty woman you see on the street, and get a date.

I mean, sometimes the movies portrays it like that. But, it isn't the reality. That type of behavior would creep out most American women. It would really have to be just the right situation, in some way, that that would actually work.

I think with the Internet, it's even less likely to 'approach pretty girls' in the streets. That being said, that's exactly what people do in Japan. "NAMPA" culture, and westerners in Japan, find it fascinating. If that was the norm in the West, they wouldn't find it as fascinating.

However, watching 'NAMPA' work in Japan, I would have to say that 95% of the J-girls constantly being approached by J-guys involved in 'nampa', are very annoyed by them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2014, 11:54 PM
 
4 posts, read 7,190 times
Reputation: 10
That's why men in China do not apporach women as randomly, as frequently and as confidently as people who grew up in the West, as they do not want a lose face situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Most Chinese men feel shame or loss of face if they were rejected by a woman, way more so than men from other cultures.. it's not as big of a deal for Chinese men who grew up in the West (i.e. US.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2014, 12:02 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,954 posts, read 36,224,668 times
Reputation: 9493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidspirits View Post
That's why men in China do not apporach women as randomly, as frequently and as confidently as people who grew up in the West, as they do not want a lose face situation.
I think there is a 'face' thing in the U.S. too. It is NOT easy to be in the U.S. and just going out asking for dates, without some enormous embarrassment and awkwardness involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2014, 01:42 AM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,783 posts, read 13,381,493 times
Reputation: 11313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I think there is a 'face' thing in the U.S. too. It is NOT easy to be in the U.S. and just going out asking for dates, without some enormous embarrassment and awkwardness involved.
It depends on the dude, but I think that most guys who are willing to just walk up to a girl and ask her on a date don't care a whole hell of a lot if they get rejected. Even for a guy who's a smooth talker, there's probably at least a 10/1 fail-to-number ratio. Most girls just don't really want to meet some random dude while they're out, and even if they think he's good looking initially, if he comes up and tries to put on the moves, they'll assume that's just what he does to every girl.

No one particularly likes rejection and not everyone deals with it well or gracefully. I've had girls "reject" me by not wanting to dance with me on a club dancefloor, and it's like "eh, whatever." I've been rejected by girls I was way into, and it's made me feel like a doofus for even trying. As long as you weren't actually a doofus in the process of asking her out, I don't think there's much of a loss of "face" in the West but it can sure make you feel like a dork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2014, 11:09 AM
 
6,730 posts, read 6,625,020 times
Reputation: 2386
When I traveled to Austria, I met an Italian guy and an Argentinean guy from the hotel.
We went out together, and they did talk to pretty girls on the street and even asked for phone numbers.
In the restaurant, the Argentinean asked the waitress out directly... I was totally surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2014, 04:50 PM
 
448 posts, read 500,795 times
Reputation: 170
It may be Latin European or Latin American culture. Austrian are more reserved.
Could be more difficult by talking to girls in such ways in Austria, US and in Asia.
In the US it may take some more time.
In Asia such behavior usually scared women leaving a bad impression.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
When I traveled to Austria, I met an Italian guy and an Argentinean guy from the hotel.
We went out together, and they did talk to pretty girls on the street and even asked for phone numbers.
In the restaurant, the Argentinean asked the waitress out directly... I was totally surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top