U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 01:00 PM

100 posts, read 88,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
you are right.

What frustrates me sometimes is the sudden temperature change out of blue. And that happens quite often.

For example today is 20C (average should be like 12). Tomorrow the high will be 10 and by Saturday it will be 3. In Jan, it could be 10C one day and -10C the next. Completely unpredictable. Maybe because it is continental climate.
Northeastern China has a continental climate too. Warmer Temperature fluctuations in winter are more indicative of a warmer climate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 04:32 PM

2,792 posts, read 2,285,099 times
Chinese people are more low key in their entertainment values. A night in with friends, food, alcohol, and cards are a typical weekend night. Or karaoke or shopping.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:22 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,157,683 times
I'd pick China over India anyday, and Japan over China.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:52 AM

448 posts, read 499,665 times
Yeah, non busy Chinese play mahjong to kill time in China.

It is more fun in Southern China than Far Northern China as there are no snowfall. The same for a Californians or Florida Americans to say Canada is boring.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:20 AM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,170,975 times
Quote:
Funny that people complain about China being boring.

I guess it is nothing but cultural difference in terms of what people consider "fun". As far as I know, 95% of Chinese students in the US would consider the US as an extremely boring country.

Except for a few major metropolis, the vast majority of America is dominated by the homogeneous suburbs and low rise single family homes with a tiny downtown which has some stores (mostly chain) and restaurants (many of which are chain too).

New York City is the only city that come close to what most Chinese people consider busy, vibrant and happening cities. Places like Boston and San Francisco are considered "small cities" as a matter of fact. Cities like Seattle and Vancouver look half dead and can hardly pass as cities.

In most American cities, stores close at 6pm, sometimes 5pm on weekends, and don't open until 11am (or 12pm). This is unimaginable in China where stores usually open between 10 and 9/10pm.

And this coupled with the fact that most American downtowns are not that safe (and very small) which means it is not wise to being walking on the streets with a few friends at night (instead of being in a car).

I am not saying American cities are bad, they are just not as vibrant and most Chinese young people prefer (or are used to) a more urban lifestyle, while America doesn't really offer much of that and its advantage lies in offering much better access to the nature outside the city.

If someone loves exploring the nature, enjoying doing things like hiking, swimming etc, then America is an ideal place for them, on the other hand, if someone enjoys cities more and likes shopping, restaurants, plus all the activities they do in Asian cities (karaokay, playing cards etc) America appears excruciatingly boring.

Its so hilarious that you have to drag the US into it...again!. Is there any subject on earth that you can't somehow turn into a China>U.S. competition?! What's the Mandarin term for "monomaniac" ?

I used to take you seriously, now you're clearly just good comedy fodder.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:08 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,265,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Its so hilarious that you have to drag the US into it...again!. Is there any subject on earth that you can't somehow turn into a China>U.S. competition?! What's the Mandarin term for "monomaniac" ?

not funny at all.

The point of my comment is whether a place is boring depends on your cultural background. An American finds China boring not because China is boring, but because the type of things the Chinese like to do don't interest the American person. It is the same reason most Chinese find the US boring.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:34 PM

12,691 posts, read 8,756,192 times
Quote:
except most Chinese don't live in the cold northeast. The three northwest Chinese province has less than 10% of China's total population.

And the snow fall in Beijing is not comparable to Canadian cities at all. Let me give you some stats in terms of average annual snowfalls (many seem to think Beijing has a lot of snow, it doesn't) and it is from the Canadian government sources

Toronto: 115 cm
Montreal: 218 cm
Vancouver: 48 cm
Calgary: 127 cm
Ottawa: 236 cm

Beijing: 30 cm.

Yes, right, Beijing has less snow than Vancouver, which is almost considered a snow free city in Canada.

Weather conditions in capital and major cities (Precipitation)

Additionally, Beijing is a cold city only in the Chinese context and winter is very short compared with Canadian cities. Average April temperature in Beijing is 8-20 C, compared with 4-11C in Toronto or (entire southern Ontario) and Montreal.

Even Vancouver, which is supposed to have an early spring, has a average high of 13C in April. In fact, no where in Canada April is as warm as Beijing.
That stat is an average from 1981 to 2010. Years go by when there is no snow in Vancouver at all. Some years we get a fair amount, it lasts a few days, before it is washed away in the rain. Hence the average over 19 years.
The last BIG snowfall in the Vancouver area was I believe back in 2008.

Average Yearly Snowfall in British Columbia - Current Results

Most of the time when it does snow, it doesn't accumulate. The bit that does, is gone in a few days.
We have had only about 6 or 7 white Christmases in over 100 years.

So Vancouver IS practically a snow free city.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:37 PM

12,691 posts, read 8,756,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post

...and Canada. He takes EVERY chance to slag the US and Canada. Saying RIDICULOUS things like " Vancouver and San Francisco are not real cities. "

He has a size issue problem, but he refuses to do anything about it.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:59 AM

21,947 posts, read 27,360,351 times
Quote:
except most Chinese don't live in the cold northeast. The three northwest Chinese province has less than 10% of China's total population.

And the snow fall in Beijing is not comparable to Canadian cities at all. Let me give you some stats in terms of average annual snowfalls (many seem to think Beijing has a lot of snow, it doesn't) and it is from the Canadian government sources

Toronto: 115 cm
Montreal: 218 cm
Vancouver: 48 cm
Calgary: 127 cm
Ottawa: 236 cm

Beijing: 30 cm.

Yes, right, Beijing has less snow than Vancouver, which is almost considered a snow free city in Canada.

Weather conditions in capital and major cities (Precipitation)

Additionally, Beijing is a cold city only in the Chinese context and winter is very short compared with Canadian cities. Average April temperature in Beijing is 8-20 C, compared with 4-11C in Toronto or (entire southern Ontario) and Montreal.

Even Vancouver, which is supposed to have an early spring, has a average high of 13C in April. In fact, no where in Canada April is as warm as Beijing.
I've actually been surprised at how fairly cold winter temperatures coexist with so little snow in Beijing. I suppose it's in a very dry winter region. Harbin which is (very roughly) in the same part of China is actually very cold in winter but also has extremely low snowfall totals I believe. Must be tough to grow plants there!

Old 10-08-2015, 07:18 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,265,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I've actually been surprised at how fairly cold winter temperatures coexist with so little snow in Beijing. I suppose it's in a very dry winter region. Harbin which is (very roughly) in the same part of China is actually very cold in winter but also has extremely low snowfall totals I believe. Must be tough to grow plants there!
If not for the status of being the capital which enables it to keep sucking resources from all around the nation, Beijing would be hardly a livable place, not alone being a big city. Despite its northern location, summers can be very hot - almost as hot as Atlanta. 40C is not uncommon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia