U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 12:26 PM

4,858 posts, read 3,382,404 times

Advertisements

Tiananmen Square again? Hoping not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 12:36 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,159,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Tiananmen Square again? Hoping not.
It sounds like the China reaction, i.e. tear gas a couple days ago....has completely backed off. According to the news, the students/protesters aren't bringing gas masks, or face masks, or plastic to cover their eyes, or whatever they apparently had to carry a couple days ago.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:48 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,355,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
It sounds like the China reaction, i.e. tear gas a couple days ago....has completely backed off. According to the news, the students/protesters aren't bringing gas masks, or face masks, or plastic to cover their eyes, or whatever they apparently had to carry a couple days ago.
Yeah, when I was there, it was honestly just about the most orderly, civilized, and even polite protest I could possibly imagine and there was next to no police presence. Some people still had goggles or masks, but they were the exception and not the norm.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:54 PM

501 posts, read 461,745 times
BBC posted an article about how orderly and polite the protests are

BBC News - Things that could only happen in a Hong Kong protest

Where I live, we flip cars and break windows when our football team loses an important match, so I cannot imagine what damage we would do if we were actually protesting something important :-P

Old 09-30-2014, 01:13 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,355,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
BBC posted an article about how orderly and polite the protests are

BBC News - Things that could only happen in a Hong Kong protest

Where I live, we flip cars and break windows when our football team loses an important match, so I cannot imagine what damage we would do if we were actually protesting something important :-P
Hell, back home in Boston, we do that when we *win* an important match...

Meanwhile, this nice young lady was passing out yellow ribbons to the crowd:

... and I put mine on my camera strap:

"You are now involved in the suppression of civil and political rights, which may be a violation of ICCPR. Please note that 'I was just following my superior's orders' is not a valid excuse, according to Nuremberg principles."

Old 09-30-2014, 07:29 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,159,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
I think Asian people in general are more aware of the fact that absolutely trashing the city and town that you live isn't cool.

I mean, its where you live!

But back in the U.S., especially college campuses, they seem to have enough money to erase the memories of it very quickly. Other places in the world, those memories linger as a major blemish for a long time.

Old 10-01-2014, 04:15 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,153,495 times
Question : is Hong Kong part of the PRC ? if yes, I don't understand the point of those protests. Or else they should be clear and ask for independence. But I doubt Beijing would appreciate.
By the way, the brainless Catalan nationalists are now recycling the Hong Kong demonjstrators's umbrella symbol for their own lost cause. Yes, "lost cause" because their "independence" will not only be blocked by Madrid but by Paris as well, since they plan to aggregate in the future a southern province of France (Roussillon/Rossello) to their new microstate.
So they are not only in conflict with the Spanish state, but potentially with the French state too ! and with Brussels too, since no other European country (I'm thinking Belgium, Italy, UK, maybe others) wants to see opened the Pandora's box of local independences !

Old 10-01-2014, 04:29 AM

6,773 posts, read 5,121,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Question : is Hong Kong part of the PRC ? if yes, I don't understand the point of those protests. Or else they should be clear and ask for independence. But I doubt Beijing would appreciate.
By the way, the brainless Catalan nationalists are now recycling the Hong Kong demonjstrators's umbrella symbol for their own lost cause. Yes, "lost cause" because their "independence" will not only be blocked by Madrid but by Paris as well, since they plan to aggregate in the future a southern province of France (Roussillon/Rossello) to their new microstate.
So they are not only in conflict with the Spanish state, but potentially with the French state too ! and with Brussels too, since no other European country (I'm thinking Belgium, Italy, UK, maybe others) wants to see opened the Pandora's box of local independences !
There's a difference between demanding a fair election and independence. These protests are about democracy, not a Republic of Hong Kong whatsoever. Parisians protest all the time, I'm sure none of them want an Etat de Paris.
And the Pandora's box has always been opened, it's not the first time we hear Catalans asking for independence. Scotland only made the tear wider.

Old 10-01-2014, 04:58 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,153,495 times
Scotland only made the tear wider.

How could it "made the tear wider" in voting against "independence" ?

Old 10-01-2014, 05:06 AM

6,773 posts, read 5,121,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Scotland only made the tear wider.

How could it "made the tear wider" in voting against "independence" ?
They held a peaceful and democratic referendum, of course that'd encourage independent movements around the world, especially in Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or