Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2011, 10:39 PM

41 posts, read 190,772 times

Advertisements

I'm studying abroad there for 4 months starting tomorrow. I'm really into photography so I'm bringing a fancy DSLR and some lenses with me. Obviously, I won't hve them on me at all times - only if I'm planning on taking pictures.

But I have read some nasty things about pickpocketing in Hong Kong that have me freaked out that people will slash my bag and steal myself. Part of me doesn't really believe that though...

So is the pickpocketing as bad as people say? Should I be worried about bringing a shoulder strap bag with my camera stuff around with me? What areas to avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 06:21 AM

59 posts, read 123,657 times
JDong:
I have been to Hong Kong twice, for a combined trip time of one month.
During that one month, I traveled all over the country, ranging from the expensive, expat-y Central and Admiralty areas on HK Island, to the more Chinese Tsim Sha Tsui in Kowloon (where I stayed), all the way to some of the poorest neighborhoods in Hong Kong (poor by Hong Kong standards, which means not that bad).
I have carried some expensive things with me, such as nice cameras, phones, etc. I have NEVER felt in danger of being pickpocketed or robbed, or having my things stolen. The Hong Kong people have always been quite honest and polite people, and even when among the poorer citizens, I could tell that they did not even think about pickpocketing or getting any kind of money from me.

Anyone who says otherwise I would question. Hong Kong is a safe place. You don't need to worry.
Enjoy your stay and have fun studying!

Take care,
Jonny

Old 08-24-2011, 06:51 PM

185 posts, read 488,567 times
Default Not to worry

I spend about 20% of my time in Hong Kong, mostly is TST area, and never have seen, or even heard, of any snatch-and-grab or other activities. Unlike the US, they actually have laws-and enforce them-so crime (especially against Westerners) is pretty rare. I guess you could get yourself in trouble in some areas, but if you're taking pictures down by the harbour or somewhere, you won't have any issues. Same as items in your hotel room-be smart and use the in-room safe for your passport and loads of cash, but otherwise you won't have to worry about someone snatching your stuff. This assumes, of course, you're at a decent hotel. Now if you stay at a youth hostel, well...

I have heard of some crime against the Chinese in Hong Kong. Most Chinese carry a "man bag" full of money-and the Chinese know this. So if a Chinese person sets down his bag, well it might be gone quickly. Same as luggage-I had 2 bags in the boot, and my Chinese partners each had a bag there as well-4 bags. When we were in a meeting, our driver left the car for 10 minutes (unlocked, dummy) and when he came back their 2 bags were gone-but my 2 were there. I had name cards on mine, and the Chinese said that is why they were left. Two reasons-they obviously saw I was a foreigner, and they know the laws are especially tough when it involves a foreigner. Second reason is that Westerners are used to TSA and baggage handlers "helping themselves" to anything in a suitcase so we don't keep anything valuable in there. Interesting thoughts.

Oh, one thing to be aware of, especially in TST area, are the hawkers trying to talk you into "tailor sir tailor" or "copy watch boss." These folks can be pretty aggressive and will touch you to get your attention. Don't freak out, don't talk to them, just ignore them. They don't mean you harm, they are just trying to make a living, and part you from your cash. If they get in your way just run over them, but don't engage them, don't even say sorry no thanks, just ignore them. They get kind of annoying, but just accept they are part of the charm of Hong Kong.

Have a great trip here, and be sure to check out the peak, watching the laser show at 8pm. The world's best coffee house is on the peak, right over the tram station, and it's an unforgettable experience. Also, if you have tons of cash, have a drink at the Sheraton or the Aqua bars. Fantastic views!

Old 08-25-2011, 11:47 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDong217 View Post
I'm studying abroad there for 4 months starting tomorrow. I'm really into photography so I'm bringing a fancy DSLR and some lenses with me. Obviously, I won't hve them on me at all times - only if I'm planning on taking pictures.

But I have read some nasty things about pickpocketing in Hong Kong that have me freaked out that people will slash my bag and steal myself. Part of me doesn't really believe that though...

So is the pickpocketing as bad as people say? Should I be worried about bringing a shoulder strap bag with my camera stuff around with me? What areas to avoid?
I've spent a lot of time in a lot of cities and countries...and HK is definitely one of the least likely to see or hear of that happening...

Not that it would never happen...but it seems quite unlikely. It's a wealthy city without much of the social problems that you'd get in the U.S. or European countries (that are equally wealthy, but do have a lot of problems with crime or pickpockets respectively).

Old 08-25-2011, 03:15 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,564,830 times
i lived in HK for 3 years and agree with all the above. just take normal precautions and you will be fine. have a great trip. enjoy the light show, LAN KWAI FONG, and the delights of both wan chai and TST. unique... but very safe...

Old 08-25-2011, 03:16 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,564,830 times
PS Aqua is closed for renovations at the moment...

Old 08-26-2011, 01:16 PM

120 posts, read 313,154 times
I took my family to HK a few years back. Did quite a bit of walking around. Never felt threatened. As with any place in the world just use common sense.
The only thing you have to watch out for are those horrible Indian and/or Pakastanis on every street corner trying to sell you tailor made clothes. They really get to be a pain in the butt after awhile.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:32 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
You're safer in HK than you are in most large US cities.

Have fun, enjoy the junks in the harbor; travel to the giant buddha; go to the lady's market in Kowloon, walk down flower market street; the electronics market is cool; the jade market, etc. Kowloon is more interesting than HK island.

Be grateful that the airport has moved. It was unnerving to look into people's apartments upon landing.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:02 AM

29 posts, read 67,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDong217 View Post
Watch out!

One of my friend was pickpocketed at subway station in Hongkong. He remembered he saw four or five people around him before he noticed his wallet was stolen from his bag. He said they are not like Chinese, much more like Philipino.

Old 05-05-2020, 04:01 AM

1,136 posts, read 523,904 times
HK does have a crime by foreigners problem, which is not uncommon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia