U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should Hong Kong be back under British Rule?
Yes: God Save the Queen 11 26.19%
No: I love comunism 2 4.76%
No: We Should be indipendent 18 42.86%
No: I have other ideas 6 14.29%
I realy don't care! And anyway China will always rule Hong Kong as it is a stubborn country! 5 11.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-30-2014, 12:12 AM
 
1,379 posts, read 1,816,199 times
Reputation: 980

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Uh, no. China is a single-party dictatorship with severely reduced civil liberties. The criticism is well-founded. I know that you will defend China regardless of its actions, but the rest of the world doesn't care about protecting your feelings, and the rest of the world doesn't care about protecting 'Chinese core values' if those values actively oppress its people.

You see, when people protest in large numbers - to the extent that entire roads are impassable - then you have a problem. The number one priority of a nation state is supposed to be about making its citizens happy - but the Chinese state does no such thing for Hong Kong or China in general, and the people of Hong Kong are making that explicitly clear - and the only reason no such thing is happening on the mainland is because they will more than likely get shot.

Sorry if it upsets you, and I'm so, so sorry if I come across as an self-righteous Westerner - but I don't care. Denying people the right to self-determination, and denying people the freedom of speech or freedom to protest, will never sit right with me, or anyone else in the West. We have fought so hard to get the civil liberties we have today and it's a repellent sight to see the civil liberties we take advantage of every day being outright denied to over a billion people, and it saddens me to see Chinese propaganda trolls such as yourself defending the Chinese state regardless of what it does.

Hong Kong is too good for China.
Would you be happy with a racist ultranationalist anti-Western Chinese liberal democracy? Because that is what will happen if China becomes a democracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-30-2014, 02:56 AM
 
6,726 posts, read 6,614,442 times
Reputation: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Also, if you loved China so much, you'd still be living there.
Many foreigners work and study in China as well. Does that mean they don't love their country?

No, I always hold a China passport and never applied for a green card, because I will return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2014, 05:35 AM
 
Location: Taipei
6,776 posts, read 5,131,359 times
Reputation: 4566
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Hong Kong is better off with the Taiwanese, not the British. Taiwan is a capitalist, democratic country, and Taiwan uses Traditional Chinese, like Hong Kong does, unlike the English speaking British
Sorry but this is quite ridiculous. First of all Taiwan is pretty [MOD CUT/profanity] ourselves, we are not as democratic as you think. Secondly, we're just not interested in Hong Kong AT ALL.
Btw Taiwan uses traditional Chinese but we speak Mandarin and Taiwanese, as opposed to the Cantonese speaking Hong Kong.

Anyway, to answer OP's question. It's unreasonable for Hong Kong to return to the UK. Even though HK was 1000000 times better under British rule, the British were still colonizers. It just doesn't make sense to give a colony back to a former colonial empire.
The problem of this handover is that both China and the UK completely ignored the universal right of self-determination. Hong Kong and Macau were actually in the list of Non-Self-Governing territories, most of those former colonies were able to gain independence under the help of UN Trusteeship Council. However they were removed due to China's request, thus the self-determination didn't happen.

I too think independence would suit HK the best, and I can foresee this become the trend in Hong Kong eventually if the protests now were brutally repressed or completely ignored. Yeah, China is powerful, but PLA can't buy HKers' minds.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-03-2014 at 11:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2014, 05:42 AM
 
Location: Taipei
6,776 posts, read 5,131,359 times
Reputation: 4566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
I think the red flag and the CCP are the problem. If the country actually slowly reformed and possibly had a multipary system, taiwan would join in a heartbeat.
Sorry but we wouldn't. Just like Canada wouldn't want to join the US and Austria wouldn't want to join Germany. If China evolves to a multiparty democracy, good for them, but it doesn't really has anything to deal with Taiwan other than the dark clouds over our heads are finally gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
China will always be China, and it will be the first real non-westernized developed country in human history, which I like. This is truly where "diversity" stands up.
I tried to ignore you but this is too inspirational to be overlooked.
Have you heard of Japan? An Asian country which has been called developed since like 30 years ago?

Last edited by Greysholic; 09-30-2014 at 06:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2014, 08:11 AM
 
1,379 posts, read 1,816,199 times
Reputation: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Sorry but this is quite ridiculous. First of all Taiwan is pretty fxcked-up ourselves, we are not as democratic as you think. Secondly, we're just not interested in Hong Kong AT ALL.
Btw Taiwan uses traditional Chinese but we speak Mandarin and Taiwanese, as opposed to the Cantonese speaking Hong Kong.

Anyway, to answer OP's question. It's unreasonable for Hong Kong to return to the UK. Even though HK was 1000000 times better under British rule, the British were still colonizers. It just doesn't make sense to give a colony back to a former colonial empire.
The problem of this handover is that both China and the UK completely ignored the universal right of self-determination. Hong Kong and Macau were actually in the list of Non-Self-Governing territories, most of those former colonies were able to gain independence under the help of UN Trusteeship Council. However they were removed due to China's request, thus the self-determination didn't happen.

I too think independence would suit HK the best, and I can foresee this become the trend in Hong Kong eventually if the protests now were brutally repressed or completely ignored. Yeah, China is powerful, but PLA can't buy HKers' minds.
Hong Kong 1967 Leftist riots - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These people didn't seem to think so. At least no one has died yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2014, 08:20 AM
 
Location: Taipei
6,776 posts, read 5,131,359 times
Reputation: 4566
Apparently these people think so.

And what happened in 1967 was a riot, people die in riots, however the current one most certainly is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2014, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Portsmouth, UK/Swanage, UK
2,178 posts, read 1,955,784 times
Reputation: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Apparently these people think so.

And what happened in 1967 was a riot, people die in riots, however the current one most certainly is not.
It's also the fact that it's coming from a south China newspaper... You'd think if they found that research out the Chinese government would censor it? As it's everything against Chinese suppressive, communist and dictatorship rule!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2014, 08:38 AM
 
Location: On a Long Island in NY
7,682 posts, read 8,493,362 times
Reputation: 7034
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
Hong Kong 1967 Leftist riots - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These people didn't seem to think so. At least no one has died yet.
The riots were instigated by the Chinese government.

Quote:
The waves of bombings did not subside until October 1967. In December, Chinese Premier Zhou Enlai ordered the leftist groups in Hong Kong to stop all bombings; and the riots in Hong Kong finally came to an end.
Golly gee ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2014, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Portsmouth, UK/Swanage, UK
2,178 posts, read 1,955,784 times
Reputation: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
China will always be China, and it will be the first real non-westernized developed country in human history, which I like. This is truly where "diversity" stands up.
What do you mean by diversity. London, New York, Sydney and other great cities of the west all have a great mix of people from all over the world. Beijing is like 96% Han Chinese... How is this diversity?

Now London is 60% white (45% of which are white British), 18% Asian, 14% Black, 5% Mixed, and 3% other - now that's what I call diversity!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2014, 10:10 AM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,192,720 times
Reputation: 11624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Sorry but this is quite ridiculous. First of all Taiwan is pretty ourselves, we are not as democratic as you think. Secondly, we're just not interested in Hong Kong AT ALL.
Btw Taiwan uses traditional Chinese but we speak Mandarin and Taiwanese, as opposed to the Cantonese speaking Hong Kong.
PRC doesn't seem to think it ridiculous to have the western regions or Inner Mongolia, or Guangdong, or Xizang to be part of the PRC, does it? Doesn't seem so ridiculous now, does it?

Taiwan is ****ed up, in your opinion only. If Taiwan was such a terrible place as you say, where are all the Taiwanese pouring across our border or Canada's? Last I checked, most of the Chinese coming to the US were from Fujian, not Taiwan. Also, according to my Taiwanese best friend who I actually go to school with, Taiwan is not a bad place.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Many foreigners work and study in China as well. Does that mean they don't love their country?

No, I always hold a China passport and never applied for a green card, because I will return.
When will that be?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-03-2014 at 11:03 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top