U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Hong Kong be back under British Rule?
Yes: God Save the Queen 11 26.19%
No: I love comunism 2 4.76%
No: We Should be indipendent 18 42.86%
No: I have other ideas 6 14.29%
I realy don't care! And anyway China will always rule Hong Kong as it is a stubborn country! 5 11.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 10:18 AM

6,781 posts, read 5,139,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
PRC doesn't seem to think it ridiculous to have the western regions or Inner Mongolia, or Guangdong, or Xizang to be part of the PRC, does it? Doesn't seem so ridiculous now, does it?

Taiwan is ****ed up, in your opinion only. If Taiwan was such a terrible place as you say, where are all the Taiwanese pouring across our border or Canada's? Last I checked, most of the Chinese coming to the US were from Fujian, not Taiwan. Also, according to my Taiwanese best friend who I actually go to school with, Taiwan is not a bad place.
Ugh it still is quite ridiculous. As I said we are not that close in the first place, and Taiwan is just not in the position of "annexing" anybody. Even if we overlook the China factor, Taiwan should still mind our own business.

Taiwan isn't as bad as Somalia or Yemen, but it's far from a perfect democracy or an idealistic place to live. Not horrendous(for now), but nowhere as good as you might think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 11:50 AM

48,296 posts, read 45,587,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
No. Hong Kong is Chinese and should remain Chinese. Britain never gave Hong Kong democracy either so they are being a bit hypocritical now.

I think the idea when the Sino-British Joint Declaration was signed was that, by 2047, the rest of China would have caught up with Hong Kong. I still think this is true. China will not have a dramatic revolution like the Revolutions of 1989. It will slowly transition to democracy. And what is playing out right now in Hong Kong is part of that.
If neither China or the UK gave Hong Kong true Democracy, and Democracy is what Hong Kong desires, then Hong Kong should become independent, like Singapore.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:57 AM

15,954 posts, read 36,218,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
If neither China or the UK gave Hong Kong true Democracy, and Democracy is what Hong Kong desires, then Hong Kong should become independent, like Singapore.
That's not really a possibility. I'm sure they'd like that, but China definitely wouldn't allow that.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That's not really a possibility. I'm sure they'd like that, but China definitely wouldn't allow that.
Realistically, I know this. However, I was saying that if neither China or the UK could give Hong Kong true Democracy, then Hong Kong is better of on its own.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:12 PM

9,783 posts, read 13,379,062 times
I snapped this at the protests this evening. This seems to be the general sentiment most of the people have.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:11 PM

2,482 posts, read 2,233,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
But Hong Kong doesn't wont China, at least communism! If the Chinese government doesn't listen to all those states, or provinces, or... whatever China calls them (I call them suppressed states!), then China will split up. It's just like the British Empire, if Westminster listened more to the overseas territories and where less racist, then Britain could still be an empire now! Same with China, if they don't change into a democracy, then the states that do want it will leave China! That's what I think anyway. On the other hand, one could ague that some countries that are over populated need a dictatorship. For example, India, a country with a population that will takeover China's at some point within the next decade or two, is a democracy and is filled with corruption. So I could perhaps understand that a little...
Except the Chinese have the ability to control Hong Kong if they so wish, unlike the British Empire which was in terminal decline.

What's the international community going to do if China decides to drop the hammer on Hong Kong? Nothing. Besides some sanctions, no one is going to come charging to Hong Kong's rescue.

That's the sad truth.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:11 PM

1,434 posts, read 2,120,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
Ever since the second world war, Britain has been trying to spread democracy. But I think it's crazy how the UK has been one of the oldest modern democracies in the world, but didn't give a peace of that to Hong Kong... Just mad! But Britain was definitely all about imperialism prior to WW1!

Many Asian and African colonies did not gain Independence until after WW2! So, the British being portrayed as this superior and moral nation of democracy is full of $hit!

Old 10-02-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Many Asian and African colonies did not gain Independence until after WW2! So, the British being portrayed as this superior and moral nation of democracy is full of $hit!
Zimbabwe didn't get independence until around the 1980s.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:29 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,214,202 times
Another thing I just noticed about the OP, whether the OP thinks so or not, HK belongs to China. It was stolen from China by the British. You can't "give back" what was stolen from you in the first place. The only right thing to do would be for HK to declare itself an independent country, like Singapore did. Saying HK should be "given back" is an insult, especially since Hong Kongers don't want to being a British colony again

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 10-02-2014 at 06:44 PM..

Old 10-02-2014, 06:40 PM

7,281 posts, read 8,893,639 times
There was no independence under British rule. There were no free elections either. The British installed whatever government they wanted and there was no say when it came time for new faces.

What the heck is everyone talking about?

The people living in Hong Kong never got to say what British governor was put in place. History people, history.

BTW, HK is part of China. Here we go, sticking our noses in yet another affair that isn't out business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or