Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Hong Kong be back under British Rule?
Yes: God Save the Queen 11 26.19%
No: I love comunism 2 4.76%
No: We Should be indipendent 18 42.86%
No: I have other ideas 6 14.29%
I realy don't care! And anyway China will always rule Hong Kong as it is a stubborn country! 5 11.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 10:44 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,572,876 times

Advertisements

Hongkongers never wanted to leave British rule anyway, and definitely didn't want to be under communism! The Chinese government have said "they will respect the different cultural differences of Hong Kong." Hong Kong has a more British culture compared to mainland china, the city used to be a democracy, they play Cricket and it is capitalist. But this is obviously a load of lies by the Chinese as those communist bastards are taking away something that Hong Kong had under British rule, Democracy! As a result, Hong Kong is having it's first protests since Britain gave the city back to china.
BBC News - Hong Kong protests: Occupy Central row - in 60 seconds
92% of people living in Hong Kong want to be back under British rule!

SCMP Poll: Hong Kong Wants Return to British Rule - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 10:49 AM

25,024 posts, read 27,858,782 times
Hong Kong is better off with the Taiwanese, not the British. Taiwan is a capitalist, democratic country, and Taiwan uses Traditional Chinese, like Hong Kong does, unlike the English speaking British

Old 09-29-2014, 11:07 AM

13,562 posts, read 10,309,820 times
As a former resident of HK who lived through the 1997 transition, that's not going to happen.

It's really not about the British, or even the Chinese government.

It's really all about the local tycoon elites - they loved the system under the colonial government which allowed them to amass their riches, and they want to keep it that way (even under the Chinese central government supervision). HK pretty much was and is run like a private club by and for their benefits.

In the past, when the vast majority of the HK populace was less affluent, poor, and many were refugees from mainland China, emphasis was simply about survival. Now that today's HKers are generally more middle class, better educated, often with time spent living overseas, their aspirations and demands in their lives have changed. More and more of them aren't happy with the way things are being run in HK.

Hand-picking a chief executive from the ranks of the moneyed elite to run HK, does not bestow political legitimacy on that person (CY Leung), and this thought has become more and more preevalent.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:10 AM

13,562 posts, read 10,309,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Hong Kong is better off with the Taiwanese, not the British. Taiwan is a capitalist, democratic country, and Taiwan uses Traditional Chinese, like Hong Kong does, unlike the English speaking British
You're kidding me, right?

As someone who's lived in both places, Taiwan doesn't have much to do with HK politically. Lots of trade goes on and they share some pop culture between them (lot of movie and singing stars go between the 2 places).

Using traditional Chinese characters as a basis for integration is like saying Australia, Great Britain, Canada and NZ should be together because they use British English in their spelling convention.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
You're kidding me, right?

As someone who's lived in both places, Taiwan doesn't have much to do with HK politically. Lots of trade goes on and they share some pop culture between them (lot of movie and singing stars go between the 2 places).

Using traditional Chinese characters as a basis for integration is like saying Australia, Great Britain, Canada and NZ should be together because they use British English in their spelling convention.
Haha, good point!

Old 09-29-2014, 11:21 AM

9,240 posts, read 9,714,540 times
Well, Hong Kong did not have democracy under British rule... The governors were selected by the British and they could not be HKers/Chinese.
But I guess truth doesn't matter.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:36 AM

16,265 posts, read 43,063,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
Is it time China gave Hong Kong back to Britain?
Well, that's a little extreme the other way. That's not going to happen.

In the most amazing ever best-case scenario, I'm sure HK would like to be sovereign like Singapore. But short of that, they just want to retain some sovereignty without Beijing essentially choosing their leaders for them. I highly doubt they'd want London choosing their leaders either.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Well, Hong Kong did not have democracy under British rule... The governors were selected by the British and they could not be HKers/Chinese.
But I guess truth doesn't matter.
So your right. Read this and realized I should've did research before I do threads like this: Why Didn (wops soz about that!)
I thought that Britain was so dedicated to spreading democracy and Universal Suffrage to the whole world that it would have given it to it's colonies. How wrong was I there! Though I would have thought that if Hong Kong remained under Britain, the city would have got democracy by the 00s. I believe Gibraltar has been voting since 1964, so the fact that Britain didn't give Hong Kong elections is outrageous!
But according to that video, 92% of HongKongers want to go back under British rule. Personally, after finding out Britain didn't give the HongKongers the right to vote, I believe that Hong Kong should become independent. But that's up to the people of Hong Kong!

Old 09-29-2014, 11:48 AM

5,191 posts, read 4,645,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
So your right. Read this and realized I should've did research before I do threads like this: Why Didn (wops soz about that!)
I thought that Britain was so dedicated to spreading democracy and Universal Suffrage to the whole world that it would have given it to it's colonies. How wrong was I there! Though I would have thought that if Hong Kong remained under Britain, the city would have got democracy by the 00s. I believe Gibraltar has been voting since 1964, so the fact that Britain didn't give Hong Kong elections is outrageous!
But according to that video, 92% of HongKongers want to go back under British rule. Personally, after finding out Britain didn't give the HongKongers the right to vote, I believe that Hong Kong should become independent. But that's up to the people of Hong Kong!
You mean imperialism?

Old 09-29-2014, 11:59 AM

10,640 posts, read 15,962,564 times
Independence!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia