U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 01:42 PM

4,710 posts, read 3,637,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Wait till you mother takes a 12-hour workday job in Toronto. See if she's still in the mood for frequent trips to grocery stores. That's what older folks do. They do grocery on their spare time. Everyday.
Yes, and many of these older folks also go around rummaging through other people's trash for recycle bottles to get some money for their families. It's not that they are desperately poor, it's just that they do not see any shame in digging through trash.

There are many cultural habits, like digging through other people's trash and strange culinary habits (like the killing in the most grotesque way and eating of dogs), that make the Chinese a very "interesting"people, to say the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 01:31 AM

9,792 posts, read 13,400,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
You talk as if the Chinese don't have fridges at home.

They can choose to buy a lot and store in the fridge too if they want. When my mother came visiting me in Toronto, she goes to grocery shopping at least once every two day because the idea of eating vegetable bought 3 or 4 days again is appalling to her.

I agree living standard in America is still far higher. I was just pointing out there is advantage in NOT living in suburban houses with yards. A suburban mall-going lifestyle is unimaginable to me and I am willing to accept any cramped space to avoid that.
I actually know a good number of people who live in large, single-family homes and go food shopping every day or two. The size and layout of your home has basically nothing to do with this, especially considering that nearly every suburb has at least a couple competing 24-hour supermarkets on the way from work to home that they could stop by.

Conversely, I live in a 2-bedroom apartment in a brand-new multistory building in GZ. My Chinese flatmate buys a few kilos of meat at the market once every week or so and freezes it. Every few days she'll make a stir fry, otherwise she generally eats instant noodles... like most young people in China.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:36 AM

9,917 posts, read 10,181,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Why is this even considered a major statistic? The only one that truly matters is real, pure dollars- and the US is still far ahead of China in that category. So no, China is not the biggest economy. It WILL get there someday in the not too distant future, as it should since it is so much bigger than the US- but it's not there yet.
Partly that is true. The USA has a $17 trillion GDP while China has a $10 trillion GDP at current exchange rates (with 4X the population).

The big news should be that the IMF cut their estimate of the purchasing power of the USA by a whopping 3% in 6 months.

In IMF predicted % of World's GDP For End of Year 2014
USA April: 19.242% Oct: 16.277%
CHI April: 16.055% Oct: 16.479%

Back in April of 1999 the IMF calculations were
20.76% for USA
15.48% for Eurozone
11.95% for mainland China
7.44% for Japan

16.479% mainland China
16.277% USA
12.010% Eurozone
4.475% Japan

Now that USA and other Western power and Japan are falling, there will be more pressure to stop trading oil in dollars.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:24 AM

25 posts, read 28,302 times
The prediction of IMF is a Joke, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or