Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 06:46 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,849,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone
I have never seen footage of the "CCP flag" being raise on any of the reefs and atolls in the South China Sea. That flag is usually hung around some party school, or draped on a dead communist cadre's body as he/she lay in state....Your other points are certainly valid.
I'm comparing what China wouldn't do with what Western powers have done fro centuries... it doesn't matter whether it's the CCP flag or the Chinese flag itself, they're not going over to other countries and doing it one way or the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 11:52 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,714,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
It's a vastly different world from that time. At the same time this was happening, the sun was setting on then still-mighty European empires. The "international community" was basically comprised of these empires. Imperialism was their thing, and as long as the big empires respected eachothers' spoils, it was acceptable in that international community's eyes to take them over.

The interceding century has seen many nations burst into independence as these empires have dies off, to varying degrees of success, of course. International trade and commerce has grown on a level that no one could have imagined in the 1800's. Even in just the last half century, the changes in how the political world functions have been massive... if it was as it was in times past and China had its current levels of strength, you bet they'd exert their power to get what they want from Japan, Korea, Vietnam, and the Philippines - islands, territorial waters, and the natural resources under them.

The thing is that China believes that those are theirs, always have been theirs, and thus they have a right to them - they are not sending a boat to an island in the South Pacific, unloading a bunch of marines, raising the CCP flag and declaring the island's inhabitants to be subjects of China. China doesn't want to see the West take a massive dive, because that would create a massive dent in exports and impact China's growth and stability. The powers-that-be in China aren't so stupid as to think that its domestic economy, massive as it may be, could make up for such a loss.

The world doesn't have a whole lot to fear about China surpassing whatever country in whatever metric. It's just the winds of change. This is just how the world works. China is actually one of the more benign players on the international stage. People in the US (keep in mind as I say this that I am an American) have more to worry about from their militarized civic police forces than they do about China surpassing them by some metric.
well said.

It is so stupid to boast about one's imperialist past.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:35 PM

1,485 posts, read 953,676 times
It's the result of a slow process of prostituting our economy out by our own politicians.

Old 10-26-2014, 02:47 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,688,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
It's the result of a slow process of prostituting our economy out by our own politicians.
I skimmed some of your posts and I assume you mean the US economy.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:32 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,928,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
I skimmed some of your posts and I assume you mean the US economy.
There are other countries where politicians prostitute out their economy?

Old 10-26-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
There are other countries where politicians prostitute out their economy?
If by prostituting the economy you mean buying cheap Chinese products then yes, I've seen the same thing happening in Thailand. Otherwise I'd have to know what is meant by prostituting out the economy before I could try to answer.

Last edited by ArkansasTgirl; 10-26-2014 at 05:05 PM..

Old 10-27-2014, 02:02 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,377,903 times
It could be though outsourcing Amercian jobs to China.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
It could be though outsourcing Amercian jobs to China.
From what I've read this is slowing down, I know walmart is trying to "onshore" jobs because its getting more expensive to manufacture things in China. I would think this would be more the fault of private companies than politicians and outsourcing certainly isn't exclusive to the US.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:54 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,377,903 times
^There will always be alternative to China in terms of cheap labor (yes Vietnam, I'm talking to you), where the US capitalists can take advantage of.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:19 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,917,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
^There will always be alternative to China in terms of cheap labor (yes Vietnam, I'm talking to you), where the US capitalists can take advantage of.
Isn't it cheaper or about the same to manufacture in the Philippines, too? The Philippines is also very American friendly, which is why a lot of US call centers were outsourced there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia