U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2014, 05:53 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,448,583 times

Advertisements

Has anyone on the forum ever hiked to Everest BC? the Annapurna circuit? Langtang?

I'm wanting to do one in the spring. It looks like Annapurna makes the most sense for me. I don't want to go all the way to the base camp, maybe just to Marpha or slightly beyond. A nice short week-long trek for the views only.

I was also surprised to find out that Annapurna is by far the most popular trek. Why is that? I know Everest BC is trickier, but it's the highest mountain in the world and I figured since it's so iconic that it would be more important to people than the tenth highest, Annapurna I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 01:16 PM

32,089 posts, read 32,994,562 times
I believe one of my uncles did a few years ago, but I don't know the details.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:02 AM

32,089 posts, read 32,994,562 times
BBC News - Nepal blizzards: Rescue teams reach Thorung La pass

Old 10-17-2014, 07:42 AM

12,299 posts, read 18,417,176 times
I walked the Everest trail, didn't have time to make it all the way up to base camp. Mostly hiked around the Junbesi area. This was about 15 years ago however. I have heard about the Annapurna trail, can't remember why it's more popular, could be that it's more accessable (you can't drive to the Everest trails, you have to take one of the little planes in) or because of altitude (even a week may not give you enough time to get acclimated to the altitude for base camp).
I've been to Nepal twice, let me know what questions you have.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:37 PM

328 posts, read 476,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Has anyone on the forum ever hiked to Everest BC? the Annapurna circuit? Langtang?

I'm wanting to do one in the spring. It looks like Annapurna makes the most sense for me. I don't want to go all the way to the base camp, maybe just to Marpha or slightly beyond. A nice short week-long trek for the views only.

I was also surprised to find out that Annapurna is by far the most popular trek. Why is that? I know Everest BC is trickier, but it's the highest mountain in the world and I figured since it's so iconic that it would be more important to people than the tenth highest, Annapurna I.
I assume Annapurna is the most popular trek because it is the most accessible big mountain from Pokhara. Many treks leave out of there. I did it myself. Everest is more remote, costly and time consuming.

Oh, and because Annapurna is only the 10th highest doesn't make it less formidable. It is, in fact, one of the most dangerous mountains to climb. Also close to Pokhara is Dhaulagiri, a massive, scary looking mountain if you ask me. It is seriously impressive looking.

Last edited by Chasva69; 10-17-2014 at 09:54 PM..

Old 10-17-2014, 10:12 PM

I heard about this yesterday. Terrible.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:15 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,175,100 times
I hiked to Annapurna Base Camp.

Things that I remember the most:

1) 7 days, but could take anywhere between 5-10 days.

2) All along the way, they have guesthouses, snicker bars, coca-colas, and some basic food amenities. All along the way, meaning every few kilometers or so, you'd see a place or two with such amenities available.

3) Sherpas carry cases of coca-colas on their back, and the further along you get by days from the main roads, the more expensive it gets. Equally strange is watching them drop off a few cases of colas at their destination, then pack up a few cases of empty coke bottles to bring back down again.

4) I remember how extremely cold it got the exact moment that the sun went down.

5) No electricity at night along the way, in the guesthouses, but they'd always have a bon fire. I remember how I often slept with all my articles of clothing, and still felt super cold.

6) There wasn't any way to shower during that time. I think there was access to water, but it was cold, and I did not want to take a cold shower after a super cold night already.

7) You'd kind of be trekking with the same groups more or less. Meaning, faster and slower hikers go at their own pace, but you'd often see each other at various rest spaces, or you'd make a plan to try to sleep at the same location, and hangout in the evenings.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I walked the Everest trail, didn't have time to make it all the way up to base camp. Mostly hiked around the Junbesi area. This was about 15 years ago however. I have heard about the Annapurna trail, can't remember why it's more popular, could be that it's more accessable (you can't drive to the Everest trails, you have to take one of the little planes in) or because of altitude (even a week may not give you enough time to get acclimated to the altitude for base camp).
I've been to Nepal twice, let me know what questions you have.
Right. I heard you can bus it to Jiri and hike 6-7 days up to Lukla, where you would normally fly to, and through to Namche Bazaar. I think that sounds like a nice alternative too. How much were your Everest permits?

Where else have you gone in Nepal? Anywhere where there are nice views of the highest peaks?

Old 10-19-2014, 09:19 AM

12,299 posts, read 18,417,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Right. I heard you can bus it to Jiri and hike 6-7 days up to Lukla, where you would normally fly to, and through to Namche Bazaar. I think that sounds like a nice alternative too. How much were your Everest permits?

Where else have you gone in Nepal? Anywhere where there are nice views of the highest peaks?
I didn't need permits. I am going by memory here but you only need permits if you go beyond base camp. Things may have changed with the new government. I was in Nepal again a year or so ago but I stayed in Kathmandu only.
Most trekkers simply take a flight up to Lukla from Kathmandu. It just takes too long to walk in. Lukla is high altitude and if you fly in you probably should take a day to acclimatize. This is a very popular stretch, you will pass lots of westerners and can do it alone without porters and guides. The little towns along the trails have plenty of lodges, although they are spartan to say the least (no electricity, cold outdoor showers). You will need to carry at least a sleeping bag (you can rent them in Kathmandu). I actually flew into Paphlu, which was several miles off the main Everest trail. But I did a circle route of sorts, hiking to Junbesi, then hiking on the main trail part of the way up to Lukla, then circling around back to Paphlu. You get great views, including of Everest, going north from Junbesi. Flying in has it's own concerns, besides that you will land on a small field that is really just a y*k pasture (LOL, for some reason citydata forums censored that word). Flights out get cancelled all the time, because of fog, etc. So if you rely on that you may be stuck up there, I was for a couple days and was planning to walk out the 4 or 5 days to the nearest road.
As I said I also spent a lot of time in the Kathmandu valley - so I spent time in the capital city, also in Patan, and also in Bakhtapur (a particulary beautiful town). You cannot see Everest from Kathmandu, but there are hills outside of town where you can get a good view of all the peaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or