U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 03:14 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,599,126 times

Advertisements

For some jobs, it is impossible to work just 40 hours per week.
For example, I've never seen any new software engineer working 8 hours per day only. You can't complete much with such a schedule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 03:15 PM

55,647 posts, read 74,585,953 times
not so 50 years ago we were just like them. what changed? what now strikes you as some sort of mental illness was the norm 50 years ago here. the asians have never lost work ethic, we have. that is why we import or export all our labor.

Old 10-19-2014, 03:53 AM

2,897 posts, read 5,276,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
It is culture. And in the end, the countries where people work harder are most likely to win.
Not quite true. How that work gets used and how the benefits are distributed matter more. Smart work and enthusiastic play seem to be the ideal combination.

Working so hard as to make life itself miserable makes no sense and is counterproductive for most.

S.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:47 AM

6,576 posts, read 3,631,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
not so 50 years ago we were just like them. what changed? what now strikes you as some sort of mental illness was the norm 50 years ago here. the asians have never lost work ethic, we have. that is why we import or export all our labor.
I remember a study found it, that suggest that the hours worked per week by Americans remained steady over the last half of the 20th century. What was credited with bringing down the average was more women entering the workforce in the post WWII era on a part time basis and then leaving for extended periods of maternity leave.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:06 AM

2,189 posts, read 4,713,431 times
This thread is full of people whining and ranting.
Work conditions is most Asian countries are appalling, and you are lucky if you earn 1 Dollar per hour.

Quote:
It is culture. And in the end, the countries where people work harder are most likely to win.
Why don't you tell this bull**** to my friend in Vietnam ?
Working every single day for 8 hours. 50 cents per hour, no breaks, no vacation, no health insurance, no sick leave, no nothing. You're lucky if you earn 1 Dollar per hour. And I'm talking about Sai Gon and not some rural area.
That's your definition of "win", isn't it ? Sounds to me more like a clueless rant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
I like how they take their work seriously, and have great respect for having a job. Even they hold a professional demeanor in public service work, such as 'fast food" establishments.
They are generally groomed for work when they have jobs that serve the public.
Care to tell me which country you are supposedly talking about ?

Quote:
They know serving the public is a strong source of jobs stability and personal integrity to be known as a good worker and to do good work.
And where's that ?

Quote:
These traits continue to make them ideal places where business moves to, even though it makes economic hardship in western countries that loose the jobs. The Asian people who get those jobs have no problem following the guidelines set forth within the job. They come to work, ready to work.
Sorry, but don't take this personally. Maybe you just don't know any better. But that is complete bull****. They move there so they can exploit the inhumane working conditions. Only there you can pay someone 50 cents with no benefits and let them work as much as you want and you don't even have to pay overtime.

Quote:
Unless we in American re-learn these traits, we will result to loose more jobs.
Why don't you set an example and be the first. Let me know how working 8 hours/7 days per week for less than 1 Dollar with zero benefits is working out for you.

What a bunch of stereotypes in this thread.... You think they want to work 60 hours per week ? They do this because it is a necessity, because they are being forced to do it.

And it just takes a quick search on the Internet...

Working time - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
South Korea has the fastest declining working time in the OECD,[31] which is the result of the government's proactive move to lower working hours at all levels to increase leisure and relaxation time, which introduced the mandatory forty-hour, five-day working week in 2004 for companies with over 1,000 employees. This expanded to companies with 300 employees or more in 2005, 100 employees or more in 2006, 50 or more in 2007, 20 or more in 2008 and a full inclusion to all workers nationwide in July 2011.[32] The government has continuously increased public holidays to 16 days in 2013, more than the 10 days of the United States and double that of Britain's 8 days.
Quote:
Work hours in Japan are decreasing, but many Japanese still work long hours.[citation needed] Recently, Japan's Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare (MHLW) has issued a draft report recommending major changes to regulations that govern working hours. The centerpiece of the proposal is an exemption from overtime pay for white-collar workers.[citation needed]Japan enacts an 8-hour work day and 40-hour work week (44 hours in specified workplace). The overtime hour limits are: 15 hours in a week, 27 hours in two weeks, 43 hours in four weeks, 45 hours in a month, 81 hours in two months and 120 hours in three months. They get around this by working several hours a day without 'clocking in' whether physically or metaphorically.[34] The overtime allowance should not be lower than 125% and not more than 150% of normal hourly rate.
It's funny how western countries and others can work less and still have a higher standard of living, isn't it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
For some jobs, it is impossible to work just 40 hours per week.
For example, I've never seen any new software engineer working 8 hours per day only. You can't complete much with such a schedule.
What are you talking about ? That depends on your workload, obviously. Maybe you're right if you are self employed.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 10-20-2014 at 04:55 AM.. Reason: Fixed formatting

Old 10-20-2014, 02:23 AM

28 posts, read 23,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichig View Post
it seems that most countries in Asia tend to be workaholic, how many hours per day do people work in average in the developed countries of Asia?

Japan
China
South Korea
Hong Kong
Singapore
Taiwan
Malasya

Logically, people should work more hours when their countries have less technology, but most of these countries are highly modernized, in your opinion why do most of these countries tend to work much more hours, then Europeans countries?
I like your post...

Old 10-20-2014, 05:56 AM

6,773 posts, read 5,116,323 times
Quote:

source: OECD

http://c0.thejournal.ie/media/2011/12/table-486x500.jpg

According to you South Korea, Chile, Greece, Russia, and Hungary are winners, while the Netherlands, Germany, Norway, France, and Denmark are dead bodies.

Face it, those that work for the longest hours are always the most miserable ones.

Quote:
Yeah, Europe seems to enjoy a good life, but 1) it is based on wealth accumulated in the past few centuries, self-created and by robbing. 2) the most lazy countries are already lagging behind with little productivity improvement and stagnant or deteriorating living standard.
You probably have forgotten how disastrous WWII was to Europe. Industrial areas were bombed into dust and tens of millions of people died. That was about 70 years ago, not that ancient, wasn't it?
What Germany did to Europe was about as bad as what Japan did to China. Everything was ruined, they had to build their homes from scratch. Based on wealth accumulated in the past few centuries? A giant NO.

I think the charts above cracked down your statement #2, the "laziest" countries are pretty much those that score the best productivity per hour, while the "hard working" ones generally have the poorest productivity.

That's exactly Asia's problem. Long working hours, poor productivity, and horrendous quality of life. It applies to pretty much every single country in this region, including South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, and China. South Korea has been trying to improve though.
Japan is the only country in Asia with normal working hours, and that reflects on the quality of life of Japanese citizens.

Last edited by Greysholic; 10-20-2014 at 06:41 AM..

Old 10-20-2014, 08:51 AM

6,795 posts, read 11,763,458 times
China is more of a work hard, play hard culture, especially for white collar workers in the cities. Sure, they work more hours but they usually enjoy more time off (due to national holidays and paid time off) than Americans.

I wouldn't be surprised if work hours in China becomes similar to those in Germany today in several decades, especially after they become a developed country.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:29 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post

According to you South Korea, Chile, Greece, Russia, and Hungary are winners, while the Netherlands, Germany, Norway, France, and Denmark are dead bodies.

I actually discussed this with my Greek friend.
His response was that the numbers are misleading. You could come to office at 8 and leave at 6, in theory it is a long 10 hour work schedule, without realizing that lunch hour is 11-2pm and there is another two hour coffee break between 3 and 5, and after 5, nobody is really doing anything. Long hours, seemingly so, productive, hardly.
To say the Greeks work harder than the German sounds like fantasy.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:33 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post

Why don't you tell this bull**** to my friend in Vietnam ?
Working every single day for 8 hours. 50 cents per hour, no breaks, no vacation, no health insurance, no sick leave, no nothing. You're lucky if you earn 1 Dollar per hour. And I'm talking about Sai Gon and not some rural area.
That's your definition of "win", isn't it ? Sounds to me more like a clueless rant.
And how the Vietnam workers' living standard will be dramatically improved if they work less and take more vacations?

Wage is determined by the macroeconomy. You can't choose to raise it arbitrarily. You need to give it more time so that technology and productivity can increase.

What's your solution, pay everyone $20 an hour, give 4 weeks of paid vacation plus benefits? It will do nothing although sounds incredibly nice. Vietnam can't have that now, period.

Vietnam probably is not winning anything but by working harder I am sure they are better off than if they don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or