U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 10:13 AM

3,044 posts, read 4,013,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
From my experience in college, Vietnamese students are way more open to talk to other people than other groups from East Asia. It's almost much impossible to get into a group from Korea, China, or Hong Kong (ESPECIALLY Hong Kong). Vietnamese people here still tend to chill with other Vietnamese, but like, they don't limit themselves. Is there a reason as to why Vietnam is generally more accepting?
I've always worked strongly with Vietnamese anywhere. My computer guy, my hair cutter, my co-worker in Calgary, etc.

I suspect one reason is that we forget before the Vietnam war they were the strongest exporter in SouthEast Asia. Their economy, even based on fishing and resources, looked outward.

Having said that, there can be very real differences between people from the south and north, at least at home in Vietnam. In another thread I may comment on my co-workers parents being arrested when he blew to Canada! He went back and did his military service, pretty hard core.

It's one of the safest countries to visit, and while that may be due to military control, look at the options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 08:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,610 times
I suppose you are talking about colleges in the US. Vietnamese studying in the US are mostly second generation children of immigrants, born and raised in the US. They are open, no different from young Asian Americans of Chinese and Korean ancestries. Few students raised in Vietnam come to the US as Vietnam is still very poor. But there are many Korea, China and HK born and raised students in Western countries. I think you are talking about this group vs American born Vietnamese.

And the reasons for Vietnamese to immigrate to the West were Vietnam War, Communist takeover of South Vietnam and poverty. The reasons are very different from the South Koreans, Mainland Chinese and HK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
From my experience in college, Vietnamese students are way more open to talk to other people than other groups from East Asia. It's almost much impossible to get into a group from Korea, China, or Hong Kong (ESPECIALLY Hong Kong). Vietnamese people here still tend to chill with other Vietnamese, but like, they don't limit themselves. Is there a reason as to why Vietnam is generally more accepting?

Old 10-20-2014, 08:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,610 times
As said you won't see a lot of Vietnamese students actually coming from Vietnam in western countries. Most families in Vietnam cannot afford a trip overseas. People who can afford to study overseas are considered rich in developing countries.

For Mainland China, there are about 1 billion people who can afford to study in the West. Most students in South Korea, HK and Singapore can afford to study in the West, they are developed countries. The popularity of studying overseas is lower among the Japanese.

For students originating from China, Korea and HK, they usually stick with themselves if their student population in a college is not too small. If their population is small, they are forced to interact more with western people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
There are many students from China and Korea. Basically they don't have to make friends with others.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:53 AM

7 posts, read 7,294 times
There is an obvious difference between South and North Vietnam, history reasons.

You must be joking Vietnam is a safe country, crimes are higher than China and Thailand, but better than the Phillippines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Having said that, there can be very real differences between people from the south and north, at least at home in Vietnam. In another thread I may comment on my co-workers parents being arrested when he blew to Canada! He went back and did his military service, pretty hard core.

It's one of the safest countries to visit, and while that may be due to military control, look at the options.

Old 10-25-2014, 02:46 AM

10,422 posts, read 12,412,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontstaryy View Post
There is an obvious difference between South and North Vietnam, history reasons.

You must be joking Vietnam is a safe country, crimes are higher than China and Thailand, but better than the Phillippines.
I wouldn't call it a "safe country" either but if you look at the crime in all the 195 countries of the world, i think Vietnam is more on the safe side.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:35 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,149,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
I think almost all of the Buddhist-inspired and Confucian-influenced countries are generally safer countries to visit on any comparable scale.

So, I don't think it would be due to military control. Lots of countries have a strong military control, but it doesn't make them safe to visit.

Old 10-26-2014, 02:11 AM

2 posts, read 1,949 times
i'm is vietnamese, i talk with any ones so i like,

i think a people, themselves is important

vietnamese very friendly

Old 10-26-2014, 08:51 PM

43 posts, read 43,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seovietdigis View Post
i'm is vietnamese, i talk with any ones so i like,

i think a people, themselves is important

vietnamese very friendly

this is nice english.....you are one more example added to my observation that general population of vietnamese speak nice english already at their country.....

Old 10-27-2014, 01:29 AM

1,020 posts, read 895,825 times
The OP probably meet Vietnamese who were born and raised in the US?

I see 2 reasons:

1. Vietnamese who manage to study in the US must be very rich back home. Rich kids more often than not, are more outgoing. People from developed countries like Japan, Singapore and Hongkong who manage to study in the US, can be a middle class back home.
2. There are only few Vietnamese in the west hence they have to associate themselves with other nationalities.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:35 PM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,879,106 times
Vietnam is likely the safest 3rd world country. Very few violent crimes against tourists over the years. A very charming country. Nightly fun. If you want to get an idea of Vietnam...watch some videos from Kyle Le and Troy Nguyen. Construction is booming and areas that were barren are now filled with buildings, malls, etc. within weeks. Never a dull moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiTt...seOUJcRz9ACjfQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaEivJsTN3s

Last edited by Oldhag1; 10-28-2014 at 06:38 AM.. Reason: No more than 2 videos per post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or