Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 05:52 PM

43 posts, read 68,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Perhaps they have better PRAGMATIC skills. This is knowing when and where to respond appropriately in the right context, despite the language.

For example, I used to live in South Korea, and I can't even begin to count the number of times I'd enter a PC-Bang (an Internet Cafe) and have the attendant have no clue whatsoever that I came in to the use the Internet. Another example is standing up in a restaurant, and looking for the bathroom, and the waiters not knowing why you are standing up and looking for something.

In most other countries, if a diner stands up, the waiter/waitress will automatically point towards the bathroom, assuming that is the reason they are standing up. If a person enters an internet cafe, they will assume they want to use the internet.

Perhaps the Vietnamese are just giving the illusion they know what is being said, based on the fact they know when to say 'yes' or 'no', or respond despite the language. I've met tons and tons of Vietnamese who can't speak English very well, despite being in the U.S. for many years even. So, it definitely isn't an English proficiency thing, as they don't have it. Probably just better pragmatics.

I see your point but I can see my vietnamese friends understand and speak English nicely with their accents already at first day of school. when I first came, I could understand literally 0. so I am surprised with vietnamese people's english skills....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 09:54 PM

21 posts, read 24,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Maybe its because Vietnam is less xenophobic and needs more tourist $$.
I don't think Vietnam has any xenophobia (maybe the only exception is Chinese people haha). but indeed they can speak English fluently. Like you see any teenagers on the streets and ask them something, at least one of them will give you answer in adequate English.

South Korea and Japan, hell, no.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:58 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,365,546 times
Again, these Vietnamese people who got into US school are mostly rich kids. Rich kids in poor countries are mostly outgoing. Rich people of 3rd world countries like Vietnam and Philippines prefer to send their kids in international schools, where they can hone their english proficiency.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:14 AM

375 posts, read 1,000,681 times
Vietnamese in general can not speak English, they can only speak vietnam language .. people who can able to speak English well is besides Singaporean are Filipinos , I'm in awe with a this country " philipines" because the people there able to pronounce English well ..^^^_

Old 10-27-2014, 06:38 AM

8,868 posts, read 8,336,655 times
The Asian nations that speak good English:
India, the Philippines, Singapore, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Brunei, Israel.

The rest all speak terrible English.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:01 AM

3 posts, read 6,414 times
Not sure if Kuwait, UAE and Qatar citizens can speak good English or not. English is also an important language in the Gulf states as there are many foreigners working there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
The Asian nations that speak good English:
India, the Philippines, Singapore, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Brunei, Israel.

The rest all speak terrible English.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:04 AM

3 posts, read 6,414 times
Rich kids in countries like Vietnam ,China and Thailand can afford to learn better english and even pick up an American accent.
Poor kids are rarely taught by Western teachers and do not pick up a western accent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Again, these Vietnamese people who got into US school are mostly rich kids. Rich kids in poor countries are mostly outgoing. Rich people of 3rd world countries like Vietnam and Philippines prefer to send their kids in international schools, where they can hone their english proficiency.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:06 AM

8,868 posts, read 8,336,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giodept View Post
Not sure if Kuwait, UAE and Qatar citizens can speak good English or not. English is also an important language in the Gulf states as there are many foreigners working there.
Add Gulf States to the list then. I don't know much about those countries.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:39 PM
JL

8,515 posts, read 14,454,235 times
I'll let you guys in a on secret...the reason is that English teachers are increasing rapidly in Vietnam especially in HCMC. You'll be surprised. Quite a few of the locals have never left the country, but have near perfect accents thanks to American, British, and Australian teachers. There is a demand for teachers who can assist in English prep test courses also. It still needs some catching up to do, but give it another 3-4 yrs and you'll see much more English being spoken by the younger Vietnamese. My sister visits Vietnam every 3 months due to work and is astonished at the changes every time she visits. Certain areas that were underdeveloped are now bustling with shops, malls, etc. Vietnam had over 1mil American tourists visiting last year.

Last edited by JL; 10-27-2014 at 08:47 PM..

Old 10-28-2014, 12:10 AM

9,255 posts, read 9,679,665 times
I heard college math and science are taught in English in Germany.
In East Asia, it is taught in Chinese, Korean, Japanese. And interestingly, many of the terms were translated from European languages to Japanese words with Chinese roots first, and then introduced to Chinese and Korean (which has all the Chinese roots too).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia