U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2014, 03:22 PM

43 posts, read 44,365 times

Advertisements

Hi, when I come to the US from Korea, I could not speak any english but it seems that every vietnamese who just came to US from their country immediately speak nice english which really surprise me.... Do general population of vietnamese speak nice english like that?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 07:07 PM

15,958 posts, read 36,315,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by good3352 View Post
Hi, when I come to the US from Korea, I could not speak any english but it seems that every vietnamese who just came to US from their country immediately speak nice english which really surprise me.... Do general population of vietnamese speak nice english like that?
The majority of the Vietnamese you have met in the U.S., have been there awhile.

In Vietnam, they have a very tonal, nasal sound to their English, and can be very difficult to understand, depending on the speaker. Anyways, it's not the norm for Vietnamese to have good English in Vietnam. They are trying, just like Koreans, but it isn't the norm.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The majority of the Vietnamese you have met in the U.S., have been there awhile.

In Vietnam, they have a very tonal, nasal sound to their English, and can be very difficult to understand, depending on the speaker. Anyways, it's not the norm for Vietnamese to have good English in Vietnam. They are trying, just like Koreans, but it isn't the norm.

no no I ve seen many vietnamese who just came 1month-12 month in my ESL class....they all speak nice enlgish....they understand pretty good 80 percent...when I first came to the US from Korea, I could not understand anything.....I think general population of vietnamese can speak and understand english nice already in their country....

Old 10-21-2014, 11:58 PM

1,707 posts, read 1,368,843 times
If you couldn't understand anything when you first came then how could you judge if they spoke English good? It might have sounded 'good' to you but the reality might have been different.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:59 PM

10,440 posts, read 12,497,491 times
Maybe its because Vietnam is less xenophobic and needs more tourist $$.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:00 AM

6,741 posts, read 6,652,627 times
Quote:
no no I ve seen many vietnamese who just came 1month-12 month in my ESL class....they all speak nice enlgish....they understand pretty good 80 percent...when I first came to the US from Korea, I could not understand anything.....I think general population of vietnamese can speak and understand english nice already in their country....
To be honest, Korean students are among the worst in terms of English proficiency. Chinese students are pretty bad too, but seem to be slightly better than Koreans.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:32 AM

4,294 posts, read 3,101,654 times
They do speak English but I cannot understand ,, it is the same when Japanese speak English too. May be that is only me..

Old 10-22-2014, 01:55 AM

15,958 posts, read 36,315,973 times
Quote:
Perhaps they have better PRAGMATIC skills. This is knowing when and where to respond appropriately in the right context, despite the language.

For example, I used to live in South Korea, and I can't even begin to count the number of times I'd enter a PC-Bang (an Internet Cafe) and have the attendant have no clue whatsoever that I came in to the use the Internet. Another example is standing up in a restaurant, and looking for the bathroom, and the waiters not knowing why you are standing up and looking for something.

In most other countries, if a diner stands up, the waiter/waitress will automatically point towards the bathroom, assuming that is the reason they are standing up. If a person enters an internet cafe, they will assume they want to use the internet.

Perhaps the Vietnamese are just giving the illusion they know what is being said, based on the fact they know when to say 'yes' or 'no', or respond despite the language. I've met tons and tons of Vietnamese who can't speak English very well, despite being in the U.S. for many years even. So, it definitely isn't an English proficiency thing, as they don't have it. Probably just better pragmatics.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:21 AM

722 posts, read 930,910 times
are you sure they are not Filipinos? some people mistake Filipinos as Vietnamese

Filipinos are the asians that always know how to speak English well

Old 10-22-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
are you sure they are not Filipinos? some people mistake Filipinos as Vietnamese

Filipinos are the asians that always know how to speak English well

no no they said they are from vietnam. when I see vietnamese people or filipinos for the first time, I mistake them as Korean so I talked to them in korean, and they said I don't understand I am from vietnam or filipin. I know filipinos people speak good english(even better than vietnamese) but I didn't know vietnamese people speak nice english too. I thought vietnamese people speak no english as korean people.

Last edited by good3352; 10-22-2014 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: correct the word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or