U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 11:28 PM

55 posts, read 32,889 times

Advertisements

Most people in the world hardly know Goa except the Indians and the Portugese.

In Macau, most people, except the Portuguese, do not know Goa. East Timor is more famous, due to it being an independent country now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 09:12 AM

15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmodeb View Post
Most people in the world hardly know Goa except the Indians and the Portugese.

In Macau, most people, except the Portuguese, do not know Goa. East Timor is more famous, due to it being an independent country now.
..and the travelers and backpackers and rave scene and hippies and such.

It's a HUGELY popular place among all of those four scenes...they'd all know about it. Like a mecca.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:00 PM

352 posts, read 291,111 times
Everyone in the west knows Goa.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:15 PM

55 posts, read 32,889 times
Really?

I lived in a few big western countries in the past and don't think most westerners ans asians in asia know much about Goa.

Old 02-25-2017, 03:55 PM
BMI

7,262 posts, read 4,489,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Other than taking Porto last name and Catholic as the main religion in Goa, the answer is not at all. The real Goans in Goa choose not to speak Hindi. They speak their own language (Konkeni I think?). Most European tourists I encountered when I went there a few years ago were British. Apparently a lot of them spend the whole winter in Goa.

Food is good though, Goan dishes tend to use a lot of vinegar and coconut milk. The beach is not white. More like reddish brown and some parts are simply mud brown.

Also regarding beach wear, it's probably due to the Hippies' influence more than anything. I understand Goa was a popular European hippies hang out in the 60's.
True about 60s Hippies.
Mia Farrow hung out in Goa right after hanging out with the Beatles in Rishikesh in early 1968.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:08 PM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,229,093 times
Through communicating with Goans online it appears that the Indian government is really making a concerted effort to stamp out the Portuguese language and culture out of Goa. They also complain about people flooding in from other parts of India who have a habit of crapping on the street and just have different hygienic practices in general. It honestly sounds like it's going downhill.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Through communicating with Goans online it appears that the Indian government is really making a concerted effort to stamp out the Portuguese language and culture out of Goa. They also complain about people flooding in from other parts of India who have a habit of crapping on the street and just have different hygienic practices in general. It honestly sounds like it's going downhill.
I was in GOA recently.....Yeah, I don't know if the gov't is encouraging it, or if the demand by Indians to go somewhere to party is just immense.

I hated many aspects of it, and really liked other aspects of it. The parts I hated were the beaches. Just rows upon rows upon rows of loud music with predominately men drunk and dancing and behaving badly everywhere. It really felt like an Indian version of American Spring Break without any girls. I did see SOME females, but the vibe was so intimidating for Indian women, I could tell that most did not feel comfortable with the behavior of the Indian tourists. For that matter, I didn't feel comfortable with them either. That being said, I did see a small number of Russian or European tourists/females with their bikinis on. They made an impact being surrounded with crowds of clothed Indian people everywhere wading in and out of the ocean. You'd see a number of Indian men without pants, just walking around in their whitey-tighties.

What I did like quite a bit was the parts of GOA that were NOT anywhere near the beach. Particularly the capital city among others. I'd meet and see real Goans, some of which had some colonial Portuguese look or connection - either a little Portuguese or maybe a mix of Portuguese Africa, etc. That part I really liked a lot.

But, the beaches. No thanks, I wouldn't go back to them. But places like Panaji/Panjim, the capital city, was quite comfortable, with a nice quaintness to it. I could almost see myself potentially living in a city like that for six months or so. It wasn't a big place, but something was quite peaceful and relaxing about it.

That being said, knowing that I liked Panjim, it made me more curious about Kerala or Pondicherry that might also have that Panjim-vibe without Goa's beach tourists.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:30 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,431,836 times
What is it with feces on the beach? Everyone I know that has been to a beach in India complained about this. Not just Goa but in Kerela also. Is this done to **** the tourists off? India is becoming notorious for this.

I have also heard that Goa in general was much nicer and interesting 30 years ago and that it has lost it's hippie vibe.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
What is it with feces on the beach? Everyone I know that has been to a beach in India complained about this. Not just Goa but in Kerela also. Is this done to **** the tourists off? India is becoming notorious for this.

I have also heard that Goa in general was much nicer and interesting 30 years ago and that it has lost it's hippie vibe.
I found some of the hippie vibe in parts of Goa. It's still there.

There are some major spots that all of the Indian men go to party. Those are overtaken, basically. But the entire state is quite large. But that being said, most foreign tourists that were used to certain foreigner-dominated tourist areas, will now mostly find extremely large swaths of Indian tourists.

In many ways, it is inevitable being part of India.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:09 PM

9,876 posts, read 6,607,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmodeb View Post
Since Goa is in India, a country without a good image in the view of the Westerners, and it was taken by the Indians from the Portguese by force, and not easy to travel to, it receives very few foreign visitors.
Excuse me? The Portuguese occupied it as a colony. They weren't kicked out until the early 1960s, well after the whole of India became independent in 1947. Negotiations to settle the sovereignty issue with Lisbon were rebuffed throughout the 1950s. The Portuguese just refused to admit that imperialism was a thing of the past - hanging on to their colonial possessions way, way long after the French, British and others had largely ceded theirs. It's not surprising that the end of their rule in Africa didn't end very well either. Macao was a different story, and probably the exception to the rule, because by then, the Portuguese had wisely negotiated a set end date to their rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or