U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 07:30 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,721,222 times

Advertisements

Why is India letting them take their people and enslaving them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 08:50 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,525,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Dubai and other Arab cities are known for their homosexual activities and to the extent, harassment or rape.
Yes, and apparently being gay is against the law there, so it's quite ironic that it is a playground for homosexual activies in the middle east. In one of the documentaries I watched today, some gay men were commenting that the "underground" gay nightclub is a hot spot in Dubai. Another man also mentioned that many men (not just gay men) have same-sex encounters because the women are always sequestered and hidden away. What a paradoxical place, yes?

Old 10-28-2014, 12:41 AM

10,424 posts, read 12,425,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Why is India letting them take their people and enslaving them?
Because its only getting busier in India.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:22 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,787,244 times
Found these pieces on the author (and the article) while googling around that echoed some of my sentiments. They should at least be consumed by anyone looking for an opposing opinion on the subject.

Life in Dubai: The most vitriolic piece on Dubai so far

Life in Dubai: Johann Hari exposed

Old 10-28-2014, 02:13 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,525,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
Found these pieces on the author (and the article) while googling around that echoed some of my sentiments. They should at least be consumed by anyone looking for an opposing opinion on the subject.

Life in Dubai: The most vitriolic piece on Dubai so far

Life in Dubai: Johann Hari exposed
I read the articles above and they offered nothing to convince me that the article I posted was wrong or inaccurate. In fact, in many ways your dug-up articles confirmed the notions. Also, the article I posted was titled The Dark Side of Dubai so, of course, I did not expect a glowing, positive essay. My main question and reason for the OP was to ask people who have been there or lived there to share what it was like. Other than you posting these two articles, no one has come forward with anything that would dispel the notions in the Dark Side article. In fact, a few have confirmed them. I am assuming you have never been there based on both of your responses.

I know how PR firms work and what the uber-wealthy will do and say to protect their own interests. Anyone defending the gross labour practices and human trafficking issues in Dubai, or the underlying greed that built this city, is not interested in balance. At least the Johann Hari article is letting the world know about some of the ugly truths behind this fantastically fake paradise.

When a journalist exposes the ugly underbelly of what makes a city like this tick, I have to laugh at those who try to defend it.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:09 AM

83 posts, read 154,009 times
So wait. You mean to tell me that the Ethiopians, Pakistanis, Indians, Filipinos and other people who go to these areas don't know what is going on there? So why do they keep going?

Keep in mind that there is a huge industry of middlemen who keep the flow of workers to these countries going. And they are getting paid quite well while their country men get the short end of the stick. But this is the main economic system in that area of the world from the Gulf into China proper, which is seasonal migrant labor. There are villages and towns with multiple generations who have done the same type of work. When Saddam built his infrastructure with the help of the French and the West they used migrant laborers from South Asia.

But watching this video it seems that people in these places that are sending their children are HAPPY to send them off to get exploited. I understand this is the third world but you mean to tell me nobody has sent word back about the exploitation? You know what would end this? When the Nepalese and other folks stop shipping their children off to these other countries and demand better treatment and a better economy where they live. You mean to tell me you can have all your working age men off in foreign countries building modern infrastructure while you live in a hut? what kind of nonsense is that?
Revealed: Qatar's World Cup 'slaves' | Global development | The Guardian

And other than that the Gulf States are huge allies of the US and the West....
Saudi Arabia, Mysterious Ally | Open Source with Christopher Lydon

Saudi Arabia Has Stepped Up Public Beheadings, And Some See A Political Message - Business Insider

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLJAKp1pUO0

Last edited by GreyFox; 11-01-2014 at 07:21 AM..

Old 11-01-2014, 10:49 AM

3 posts, read 3,576 times
one thing for sure . Dubai is HOT desert. but admit it . no place like dubai. who can build metro town out of desert? only Dubai

Old 11-01-2014, 09:46 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,361,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tutp36 View Post
one thing for sure . Dubai is HOT desert. but admit it . no place like dubai. who can build metro town out of desert? only Dubai
Las Vegas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-03-2014, 01:07 AM

1,021 posts, read 897,734 times
^And also Phoenix, Arizona!

Old 11-04-2014, 03:45 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,823,111 times
This is not just Dubai it's all of the Middle East, Dubai is highlighted because it's more open, but the same if not worse happens in Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Oman, and Bahrain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or