U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2014, 02:26 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,448,583 times

Advertisements

I've been reading a Lonely Planet guide to Nepal for a trekking trip I'd like to do this spring coming. I was surprised, that even after looking for it in the index, there is zero mention of the British in the book.

I understand that they must have had some involvement in Nepal, but why does it seem so relatively shallow compared to India or Myanmar, for example? There's not even really anything that geographically bars Nepal's land from India's up until the Himalayas. Most of the population and industry is located on the plains which is basically about as arbitrary a sliver as can be when it comes to what seperates the two countries.

Why was their occupation so minor? And if it wasn't, why is it given such little attention? I wonder how the Nepalese dealt with the situation in comparison to the Indians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 09:10 PM

9 posts, read 11,554 times
Nepali Gurkhas is the only non-Commonwealth people working in the British Army, they have this tradition for over 100 hundred years.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:47 PM

12,293 posts, read 18,417,176 times
Nepal had it's conflict with the British during the colonial hayday, and then later became an ally with the British in it's colonial conflicts with India, so by that they gained some semblance of Independence. If you go to Nepal, in Kathmandu's old square, you will see some building with definitive European colonial influence, alongside old temples and more traditional medieval Hindu architecture.
The Gurkahs, as was mentioned, are still active in the commonwealth army.
With the semi-Maost republic today, those elements are somewhat down-played today. I also visited during the monarchy (still have some currency with the king on it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or