Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 07:49 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
That is too extreme.

What Asian country is the most relaxed when it comes to pot?
Well to be fair that would be the second strike in the Philippines for smoking pot, the first would be rehab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 12:49 PM

23,527 posts, read 24,011,889 times
Singapore, in my opinion. Flying there, the first time, for me (1994), I filled out the arrivals card while on the aircraft and there was a statement in bold lettering: Warning, if you are caught with illegal drugs in Singapore, it is punishable by death.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:05 PM

417 posts, read 445,009 times
Singapore and Malaysia both have "death to drug smugglers" signs in their airports. I don't know about the legality, but in Nepal weed and hash were sold somewhat openly.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:07 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,771,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Singapore, in my opinion. Flying there, the first time, for me (1994), I filled out the arrivals card while on the aircraft and there was a statement in bold lettering: Warning, if you are caught with illegal drugs in Singapore, it is punishable by death.
Back in the 1960s there were signs coming into Las Vegas that said if you caught with drugs it is life in prison.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:32 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,367,944 times
Quote:
I remember seeing that sign also at the airport in Singapore when I arrived there for a visit in about 1996. I also remember seeing a poster with photos, names and dates of people that had been put to death near that sign, just to prove they were not kidding.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:26 AM

23,527 posts, read 24,011,889 times
I visited Singapore again in 2007 and 2009 and this statement is still in bold red on the arrival cards that visitors must fill out! They really want to make the point loud and clear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I remember seeing that sign also at the airport in Singapore when I arrived there for a visit in about 1996. I also remember seeing a poster with photos, names and dates of people that had been put to death near that sign, just to prove they were not kidding.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:41 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times
Quote:
I think their(or say our, as the penalty of drug trafficking here could be life imprisonment or capital punishment as well.) obsession of harsh penalties is silly, but it's really not that hard to obey. Just suck it up for a couple of days then fly to Amsterdam if you really want to get high.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:11 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I think their(or say our, as the penalty of drug trafficking here could be life imprisonment or capital punishment as well.) obsession of harsh penalties is silly, but it's really not that hard to obey. Just suck it up for a couple of days then fly to Amsterdam if you really want to get high.
I agree that obsessing about such harsh penalties is not worth it, but it makes me question a society that seemingly has so little respect for human life.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:46 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,950,547 times
Drug users are to Asian countries, like how gay people are to Muslim countries.

Singapore, no matter how modern and liberal it acts, it's still as primitive as Iran and Saudi Arabia. Seriously, not just a death penalty, but even canning?

What's more disgusting is that they don't cane female criminals. Sure, I'm not condoning this, but at least Saudi Arabia and Iran are ballsy enough to to punish BOTH genders?

Old 02-28-2015, 03:00 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
Drug users are to Asian countries, like how gay people are to Muslim countries.

Singapore, no matter how modern and liberal it acts, it's still as primitive as Iran and Saudi Arabia. Seriously, not just a death penalty, but even canning?

What's more disgusting is that they don't cane female criminals. Sure, I'm not condoning this, but at least Saudi Arabia and Iran are ballsy enough to to punish BOTH genders?
I don't think Singapore has been acting liberal, it is known as a very conservative country, but nowhere near the level of Saudi Arabia or Iran.

Quote:
I agree that obsessing about such harsh penalties is not worth it, but it makes me question a society that seemingly has so little respect for human life.
I think it's gonna move towards the right direction as time gone by, eventually. It is already changing, actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia