U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 11:56 PM

63 posts, read 181,350 times

Advertisements

US Constitution's fundamenta rights (a' la John Locke) - LIFE, LIBERTY, PROPERT.

Violate your fellow citizen's rights (above), you should have yours removed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 01:46 AM

395 posts, read 1,250,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmanite View Post
We still kill people for crimes in America...

uh lethal injection is NOTHING like cutting off someones hand...and we generally only do injection to killers!

Old 01-27-2008, 05:26 AM

899 posts, read 1,710,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaJasMi View Post
uh lethal injection is NOTHING like cutting off someones hand...and we generally only do injection to killers!
Lethal injection? But that's murder. It can hardly be compared to cutting off someone's hand. So in the USA they murder people humanely compared to the inhumanity of Iran?

Old 01-27-2008, 06:29 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,594,575 times
Tajasmi said In the USA people get leathal injection for MURDERING others.... they said people got their hands cut off for stealing in other countries.....so what do they do to them if they murder someone??? In america you might get jail time for stealing....certainly noone is going to cut off your hand lol like a freakin barbarian

Old 02-01-2008, 06:13 PM

61 posts, read 232,190 times
America is way to soft on criminals, by far to soft and weak.

We have way to many people trying to save murders and alot less trying to save someone who got shot.

Yea good samaritan law my ass............................

Old 02-02-2008, 01:12 PM

170 posts, read 694,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsider View Post
Lethal injection? But that's murder. It can hardly be compared to cutting off someone's hand. So in the USA they murder people humanely compared to the inhumanity of Iran?

compared to ireland where they spend millions of tax payers giving around the clock protection to gangs so they dont murder each other

Old 02-02-2008, 01:16 PM

10,732 posts, read 31,781,541 times
This kind of punishment has been going on in countries for a long time. From what I understand Greece has a creative way of dealing with rapists. I used to work for a woman who spent a month in Greece every year. She said she could walk down the main street in town naked and no one would take a second glance and she was a beautiful woman.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich renter View Post
compared to ireland where they spend millions of tax payers giving around the clock protection to gangs so they dont murder each other
That's a perfect example of bending the truth. Why do that? We aren't discussing Ireland or crime in general. Do you have some kind of agenda?

To stay on topic, here in Ireland we abolished the death penalty a long time ago. Neither do we chop off hands.

But the countries that do inflict these obscene penalties are questionable societies at best.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:01 AM

8,180 posts, read 11,285,866 times
As an American, I can fully appreciate the desire for vengeance. After all, if someone kidnapped, raped and murdered my child I would gladly kill the cretin myself with a dull spoon. But if there is a minute chance that an innocent person could ever be executed, then the death penalty should be abolished. Can anyone imagine what it would be like, the days leading up to your execution for a crime you did not commit?
Back to Iran..........if I'm not mistaken, they recently hung two boys for being gay, which is odd considering Akmajenizhad (sp?) says there are no homosexuals in Iran. Guess if you keep hanging them, there wouldn't be right?!
Honor killings are also not unusual there. For the crime of talking to a boy you are not related to, you (if you were a female, that is) could be dragged to a drained pool and shot in the head by your father or brother. All for the good of the family name, of course.
So, no...I'm sorry but I don't see how the American justice system where it pertains to the death penalty (again, something I do disagree with) could in any way be compared to the 'justice' system of Iran or in any country that adheres to Sharia law.
Ask yourself this, what girl is going to be murdered today because her family doesn't think she behaves chastely enough?

Old 02-05-2008, 09:17 AM

Keep in mind that we're talking about two entirely different cultures here.

What would be considered to be 'normal' and acceptable punishment (or other way of life) in one might well be considered to be savage in the other.

When judging a strange (to you) culture don't judge by your standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or