U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 09:39 AM

8,180 posts, read 11,298,431 times

Advertisements

Very true, about judging other cultures. I cannot have a true appreciation of living under Sharia law, as I never have (and hopefully never will).

Nonetheless, I can appreciate murder whether it be from a stranger after my money or my father hoping to save our families honor.

Just because its a different culture doesn't negate the horror of certain offences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 11:02 AM

3,703 posts, read 4,278,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmanite View Post
We still kill people for crimes in America...
I'm opposed to capital punishment, but to compare executing people like Ted Bundy and John Wayne Gacy to cutting off hands for theft, its a bit of a stretch.

People who support the execution of retarded criminals on the other hand...

Old 02-05-2008, 11:49 PM

14,341 posts, read 15,163,888 times
Quote:
northsider;2730208]What would be considered to be 'normal' and acceptable punishment (or other way of life) in one might well be considered to be savage in the other.

When judging a strange (to you) culture don't judge by your standards
I guess in the interests of being non-judgemental we could refer to those that rule with, and live under, the brutality of 12th century laws and social customs (particularly with girls and women) as simply being "quaint" or "charming".

Make's me feel all warm and fuzzy already

Old 02-06-2008, 02:01 PM

899 posts, read 1,712,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I guess in the interests of being non-judgemental we could refer to those that rule with, and live under, the brutality of 12th century laws and social customs (particularly with girls and women) as simply being "quaint" or "charming".

Make's me feel all warm and fuzzy already
Sarcasm being the lowest form of wit.

Some would see the sentencing to death of a man (or woman of course) and then incarcerating them for several years before institutionally murdering them to be quite uncivillised.

Or how about that practice of "the brutality of 12th century" of torturing human beings? Kidnapping them and taking them away from their homes and families to a nation that allows the practice of torture?

Or locking people up in for years without bothering to give them the basic right to due process of law?

As I said.... comparing the practices of certain cultures is walking on very thin ice.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:42 PM

14,341 posts, read 15,163,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsider View Post
Sarcasm being the lowest form of wit. .
Not if it's done well.

Since you brought it up, however, I would say name calling is, IMO.

Quote:
Some would see the sentencing to death of a man (or woman of course) and then incarcerating them for several years before institutionally murdering them to be quite uncivillised.
Yes, dealing with a person convicted of a vicious murder isn't easy. I'm not sure I'm in favor of a quick execution over the lengthy process of appeals prior to execution, I have to admit.

Quote:
As I said.... comparing the practices of certain cultures is walking on very thin ice.
Maybe. I have no problem with people that will state their convictions though. Actually, I prefer them over the wishy-washy.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:00 AM

253 posts, read 498,495 times
I am from a western country and things like chopping off arms, hands, legs etc seem wrong to me.

But so does the death penalty. I guess most people would agree that there are individuals out there who don't deserve to live. I wouldn't think twice to execute some criminals if there would be absolutely no doubt whatsoever about them being guilty.

And that is the problem, I think. No legal system is pefect. Humans are not perfect. We all make mistakes. What a mistake it is to kill someone for a crime he/she has not committed. That's why I am against death penalty.

To me, how somebody is executed isn't all that important. An injection just seems less barbaric than an electric chair or hanging somebody. It just makes the society feel better. The real cruelty in death penalty lies in having to wait for years before it is your turn to die. Imagine having to walk to the room were you are about to die. Imagine you are innocent. Can there be anything worse?

Old 02-07-2008, 08:11 AM

8,180 posts, read 11,298,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsider View Post
Sarcasm being the lowest form of wit.

Or how about that practice of "the brutality of 12th century" of torturing human beings? Kidnapping them and taking them away from their homes and families to a nation that allows the practice of torture?

Or locking people up in for years without bothering to give them the basic right to due process of law?

OK, Let me try this again without offending!
Bottom line, when laws are cruel by nature and intent and are embraced by the citizenry (or the citizens are too afraid to attempt reform) the society itself becomes violent and innured to mercy.
To compare this with, say the US judicial system is like comparing a snowflake with a blizzard. In the US laws are scrutinized and challenged all the time for fear of any unfairness or undue harshness to the citizenry. Criminal or not. In fact, we have a national organization devoted to such purpose called the ACLU.
Now compare that with the lawyer in Saudi Arabia who succussfully defended a woman who was raped from getting a more severe punishment then her attackers. The lawyer ended up losing his license for it.

Different cultures? Absolutely. But intent cannot be overlooked nor can the improbability of overturning unjust laws by the citizens of a country. Its called human rights, and that cannot flourish under a system that allows for no dissent.

Hopefully this is not too political!!

Old 02-07-2008, 03:03 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 761,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
In America, we coddle the criminal
Is that why we incarcerate more people per capita than any other nation on earth? Because we're so "soft on crime"?

Really people like you are a classic example of why we need a system in place to protect people from what amounts to lynchings.

Frankly, people who murder with premeditation should be killed. I have no problem with that. I have no problem with extremely harsh sentences for predatory sex offenders... but it's people like you and mentalities like the one you have that cause the pendulum of justice to swing a bit too far the other way.

Anyone who commits a violent crime should be killed?
Give me a break. That's borderline retarded.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:07 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 761,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_from_Germany View Post
I wouldn't think twice to execute some criminals if there would be absolutely no doubt whatsoever about them being guilty.

And that is the problem, I think. No legal system is pefect. Humans are not perfect. We all make mistakes. What a mistake it is to kill someone for a crime he/she has not committed. That's why I am against death penalty.
I agree that we must be extremely careful about who we put to death.
In a glaring way, the US fails here as I believe we are too cavalier in applying the death penalty. With that said, you will find that virtually every death penalty case in the modern era (with a few exceptions) is 100% certain about guilt.

Still, I believe that there should be clear-cut standards in order for a case to even be considered for the death penalty. The presence of incriminating DNA evidence, clear video tape, multiple eye-wittiness testimony or something else that ensures absolute certainty. Where we fail is when two people are arrested for an armed-robbery/murder, they each blame each other for pulling the trigger, one is sentenced in one court to death while the other gets life.

THAT is a failure, and that is what can and has happened.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:45 PM

4 posts, read 7,050 times
The realistic and fair debates about the death penalty aside( I am against it.) It is more than a bit cowardly to say that we shouldnt judge the Iranian justice system because we a westerners dont understand the culture. It somewhat sickens me to see how weak people have become these days.. Nearly every language in the world has a word or words that mean moral or immoral ( right or wrong ) . We absolutely can judge them as barbarians for while Europe and the rest of the western nations culturally intermingled and evolved as societies many persian nations did their best to insulate themself from progress both technological and cultural..

Case and point the cartoon South Park has aired numerous episodes with Jesus as a comedic character.
. Technically I as a Catholic should be outraged and offended but amazingly there was no outcry from Rome about the semi blasphemous depiction of our lord( Incidentally I love southpark)... Now the INSTANT someone tries to make a cartoon with a loose depiction of Mohammed the Muslim world explodes... I have one thing to say to the Muslim world GROW THE F UP and join the 21st century learn to settle your disagreements with words instead of barbaric honor killings or beheadings. Many radical muslims behave as stupid children who are afraid to become an adult well guess what you dont have a choice.

This debate/discussion is not about the flawed US justice system which while far from perfect does give protections and freedoms found in no other country.. As the saying goes it may not be perfect but its the best thing we have.. If you dont wish or are to weak to comment on Iran's barbarity then please stay out of the conversation vs changing the topic to something that doesnt make you uncomfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or