Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 09:30 PM

653 posts, read 743,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Who or what are "Eurasions"?
Eurasians are people of mixed European and Asian descent; if you want a narrow specific definition, it refers to people whom forefathers were European colonists and local Asians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 09:36 PM

653 posts, read 743,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityathrt View Post
It makes me sad when I see folks say Taiwan sucks. Yeah we have our pros and cons but so does every single country out there. Why focus on the cons in life everyone? I agree that the victimized, everyone is out to get us attitude and kneejerk reaction to everything Chinese gets rather tiring. However, try telling the southern Scots they belong to England, or that the States is still a British colony. You'd get equally emotional and vehement backlash. It's hard to understand if you didn't grow up with it, and seems nonsensical from the outside looking in.

Back to the topic at hand. I often hear rants from my HK friends with regards to "Chinese people coming and taking over our schools, using our hospital resources and buying up all our baby powder". So they're an epidemic right now, but they won't be in another generation or two.
I have always though of Taiwan as a role model of economic development; a clean, polite society with a sense of graciousness. That was my experience from interacting with Taiwanese.

Old 03-20-2015, 03:56 AM

788 posts, read 1,876,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepillow View Post
That's because the media loves to sensationalize stuff, especially stuff that they know would rile up the emotions of people who go into a seizure if they can't get their daily fix of gossip from the Internet and TV, and of people who conveniently generalize an entire country of 1.3 billion by treating the silly rant of a nobody like the gospel.

You know what, back when gutter oil was a thing in China, I thought all Chinese cooked and ate like that...until news broke that the Taiwanese are no different. Should I start disparaging all Taiwanese because I can't remember when was the last time I didn't see any ****ed-up culinary ethics from the Taiwanese on the Internet or on TV?

And why should the rest of the world follow that tiny Pacific islet's decision just to appease your not-so-subtle hatred for another country? Seriously...
Personally, I love China, Chinese people, and Chinese culture. I've lived in Shanghai and Hong Kong and have studied Chinese since high school. However, I'm not going to sugarcoat the average person's lack of shame when it comes to personal sanitation or general behavior. It is what it is.

When you are amongst a group of friends, Chinese people are well behaved and polite. Put them in a roomful of strangers and any sense of shame is gone. In a country with so many people it's necessary to look out for yourself and your own interests. Different groups/classes act in different ways. Some urinate in open, while others throw hissy fits about delayed flights. I'm not saying that all Chinese people do this, but there is a general disregard and lack of empathy for others. I think this is a result of the Communist Party's initial destruction of the economy and the dismissal of traditional Confucian values. It has made them survivalists.

Fortunately, the country is headed in a good direction. Back in 2010 very few people queued for the subways in Shanghai or Beijing. Now, the majority of people are willing to stand to the side to let others leave. It's changing rapidly and the world needs to learn how to cope with their newfound wealth. Ultimately Chinese prosperity is global prosperity.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:38 AM

5,788 posts, read 5,101,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhkshdcny09 View Post
Personally, I love China, Chinese people, and Chinese culture. I've lived in Shanghai and Hong Kong and have studied Chinese since high school. However, I'm not going to sugarcoat the average person's lack of shame when it comes to personal sanitation or general behavior. It is what it is.

When you are amongst a group of friends, Chinese people are well behaved and polite. Put them in a roomful of strangers and any sense of shame is gone. In a country with so many people it's necessary to look out for yourself and your own interests. Different groups/classes act in different ways. Some urinate in open, while others throw hissy fits about delayed flights. I'm not saying that all Chinese people do this, but there is a general disregard and lack of empathy for others. I think this is a result of the Communist Party's initial destruction of the economy and the dismissal of traditional Confucian values. It has made them survivalists.

Fortunately, the country is headed in a good direction. Back in 2010 very few people queued for the subways in Shanghai or Beijing. Now, the majority of people are willing to stand to the side to let others leave. It's changing rapidly and the world needs to learn how to cope with their newfound wealth. Ultimately Chinese prosperity is global prosperity.

I wouldn't blame the CCP so flippantly for the kind of selfishness and rude behavior of the Chinese. The selfishness comes from the Confucian focus on the family and clan as the most important unit of social organization. This makes the Chinese extremely devoted to their families and clans, yet incredibly cold and careless toward the idea of "we" as a collective group....so nationalism and civil awareness are both incredibly weak. Why should anyone care about how dirty the street is, or what one does in public when one doesn't give a damn about the civil world? Throwing trash is ok so long as it's not in your own house or yard and all you need to worry about is the survival of your own family and clan. I see this selfishness in many Chinese people today. To hell with country or community. To hell with natural conservation for the future because it's "none of my business". Confucianism is what made the Chinese so selfish and lacking in civic awareness. Couple that selfishness with centuries of depravity and want, and you have a group of greedy and selfish monsters who could care less about the world...they just want face for their families. Chinese prosperity is at this point the bane of global wildlife survival. Can the Chinese catch up in their civic awareness for nature conservation before all the animals go extinct?

Old 03-20-2015, 08:07 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,557,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I think Americans were voted to be the worst tourists (followed by Chinese)?
Yeah I would really love to know who voted Americans worse considering I have never heard of American tourists doing the things in other countries that the Chinese do.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:21 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
Yeah I would really love to know who voted Americans worse considering I have never heard of American tourists doing the things in other countries that the Chinese do.

I used to meet a group of American students on a train from Beijing to Xi'an. They drank beer and made noise for the whole night. They were just college kids though.

For the same behavior, people could be more tolerant if they are Americans. (Not to imply Chinese behave better.)

Old 03-20-2015, 10:25 PM

788 posts, read 1,876,399 times
Quote:
I used to meet a group of American students on a train from Beijing to Xi'an. They drank beer and made noise for the whole night. They were just college kids though.

For the same behavior, people could be more tolerant if they are Americans. (Not to imply Chinese behave better.)
By Western standards, Americans (and Australians in my opinion) are very loud and obnoxious travelers compared to their European counterparts. However, I also find these nationalities to be more outgoing, engaging, and interactive with locals due to their at times excessive friendliness.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:08 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
people say that a lot but I've seen equal amounts of loud, obnoxious behavior from British, Aussies, the French, and specifically the Dutch. This comes from being an expat and also from having worked hospitality for the better part of a decade in the US.

I think that part of this is that many non-English speakers, and especially non-Westerners, can't tell the difference between a Brit and an American or even a German or Swede for that matter, so if they have no context for the origins of a drunk foreigner loudly stumbling through his own urine on a bar street, they have to fill in their own blank for his nationality. Americans are typecast as being loud and rude while Brits are tyoecast as being affable and foppish, so peopke will assume he's a damn American rather than just a drunken rube.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:23 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
people say that a lot but I've seen equal amounts of loud, obnoxious behavior from British, Aussies, the French, and specifically the Dutch. This comes from being an expat and also from having worked hospitality for the better part of a decade in the US.

I think that part of this is that many non-English speakers, and especially non-Westerners, can't tell the difference between a Brit and an American or even a German or Swede for that matter, so if they have no context for the origins of a drunk foreigner loudly stumbling through his own urine on a bar street, they have to fill in their own blank for his nationality. Americans are typecast as being loud and rude while Brits are tyoecast as being affable and foppish, so peopke will assume he's a damn American rather than just a drunken rube.
When I traveled to Venice, Italy I stayed in a hostel. There were two Danes (two male students), two Americans (a young couple), some other Europeans etc. The two Danes spoke perfect English. Even though I am very familiar with American English, I could have thought they were Americans if they had not told me. They were also very extroverted and talkative. They are both blond with typical Germanic features, which was often stereotyped as "American" in some places (at least in China).

At night, the two Americans wanted to rest but all others including me were chatting in the kitchen. We were so loud and the two Americans decided to move out the next day.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:32 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
Quote:
When I traveled to Venice, Italy I stayed in a hostel. There were two Danes (two male students), two Americans (a young couple), some other Europeans etc. The two Danes spoke perfect English. Even though I am very familiar with American English, I could have thought they were Americans if they had not told me. They were also very extroverted and talkative. They are both blond with typical Germanic features, which was often stereotyped as "American" in some places (at least in China).

At night, the two Americans wanted to rest but all others including me were chatting in the kitchen. We were so loud and the two Americans decided to move out the next day.
That's because you pooped on the floor, betta!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia