Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 09:57 AM
JL JL started this thread

8,522 posts, read 14,532,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Yes, that's because much of their parents' wealth that they are enjoying would fall into the grey areas, at best, of Chinese law. Most may very well be illegal. Corruption is endemic, and this is why their parents are so afraid. This money is parked outside because of China's governance weakness, and it's not something to be proud of, especially for a third world country with endemic poverty among huge portions of its population. You couldn't possibly expect all this money to come from clean sources when the national GDP per capita of China is only around $10,000 a year....GIve me a break!

China is working very hard with the US and Canada to develop a way for Chinese officals to be able to investigate corrupt money flowing into the two latter countries from China. Hopefully, Xi's effort to clean up China will put a dent in all this.

I find it amusing that the Chinese real estate agent is all smiles and giggles. At a low end of 4% commission, a 5 million dollar property she sells sight unseen to some Chinese from the mainland would net her how much in commission? That's a lot of money for doing practically nothing.
I would be all smiles and giggles too if i was selected as their realtor. You know how it goes. Once one Chinese buyer likes you, all the other Chinese buyers will like you too. The word will spread. Good for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 10:11 AM

5,790 posts, read 5,103,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
That is true, but even so, they should make every effort to try; some of the first-generation immigrants i've met in Australia sometimes can't even be bothered tl try. English is the lingua franca of the US; at the very least, they can do more to mix around with the wider US society at large instead of forming their own club of "super-rich" Chinese immigrant kids.
Wherever the Chinese go, they tend to coalesce together into their cliques. They help each other, and just as often, they kill and commit crimes against each other in these cliques. Hence you have those tongs and triads who only victimize Chinese. These rich kids have no desire to succeed through hard work because they don't need to. There were several incidents of these people driving drunk and killing innocent people. I am just waiting for one of them to scream at a US cop while getting handcuffed and saying..."I am the son of XYZ!".

Old 03-22-2015, 10:33 AM

1,274 posts, read 978,776 times
Chinese or not, they just happen to have money. It would be the same with Americans as well.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:12 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,753,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Wherever the Chinese go, they tend to coalesce together into their cliques. They help each other, and just as often, they kill and commit crimes against each other in these cliques. Hence you have those tongs and triads who only victimize Chinese. These rich kids have no desire to succeed through hard work because they don't need to. There were several incidents of these people driving drunk and killing innocent people. I am just waiting for one of them to scream at a US cop while getting handcuffed and saying..."I am the son of XYZ!".
You seem to have a lot of stereotypes.
Many young Chinese with rich parents are still well-educated and well-behaved. The same as in all other countries.

In the past, westerners spread all over the world and took advantages of locals. Now some Chinese do that. No big deal.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:25 PM

5,790 posts, read 5,103,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
You seem to have a lot of stereotypes.
Many young Chinese with rich parents are still well-educated and well-behaved. The same as in all other countries.

In the past, westerners spread all over the world and took advantages of locals. Now some Chinese do that. No big deal.
It's not stereotype, and I think it is a big deal. Though you are right that the Chinese are not alone in bad behavior. By virtue of their numbers, their actions tend to magnify. This is what makes China so important in the world, and it also gives the Chinese a much bigger share of the responsibility to take care of this world than other people.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:04 PM

105 posts, read 169,551 times
I live in Los Angeles and we had a rich Chinese international USC grad student as an intern last summer and she would drive her Tesla to work. She was really nice and wanted my company to sponsor her by hiring her but we did not. Many of my co-workers said that she wanted to be sponsored so she could stay in the USA after finishing grad school and not because she needed a job. She was HOT though.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNHot75 View Post
I live in Los Angeles and we had a rich Chinese international USC grad student as an intern last summer and she would drive her Tesla to work. She was really nice and wanted my company to sponsor her by hiring her but we did not. Many of my co-workers said that she wanted to be sponsored so she could stay in the USA after finishing grad school and not because she needed a job. She was HOT though.
After she graduates, her student visa expires and she must have a job to keep her legal status. This is what H1B visa is about. H1B visa has a cap, 65,000 each year.

However, H1B visas are not only issued to those who studied in the US. In fact over 70% of them went to Indian nationals last year, and most of them were not in the US.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:00 AM

440 posts, read 662,139 times
Mainland Chinese has become the largest source of ethnic Chinese people living in many countries. In the 1990s, most ethnic Overseas Chinese originated from Taiwan, HK and SE Asia. Most Chinatowns were originally dominated by Cantonese and Taishanese.

Nowadays, there are 2 types of immigrants from Mainland China, rich ones and poorer ones.
A third type is birth tourism in the US, those who can afford this type are mostly middle class.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
Mainland Chinese has become the largest source of ethnic Chinese people living in many countries. In the 1990s, most ethnic Overseas Chinese originated from Taiwan, HK and SE Asia. Most Chinatowns were originally dominated by Cantonese and Taishanese.

Nowadays, there are 2 types of immigrants from Mainland China, rich ones and poorer ones.
A third type is birth tourism in the US, those who can afford this type are mostly middle class.
Many Chinese immigrants came here as students, especially graduate students, and then found a job after they finished.

The poor ones you mentioned are usually from Fujian, and some from the northeast. Not a lot now.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:55 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,492,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
As immigrants, they want to get out of China, that should be fine; but they should do more to integrate with the rest of the US if they are migrants to the US; I see zero integration (admittedly from only a few videos) and that is not a good thing.
Why is it not a good thing? they can do what they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia