Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,183 times

Advertisements

Hope some people can help,
I joined a dating website. First time ever. After completing the registration I did a search and saw a really incredible woman, I contacted her and we exchanged contact details. For the first two weeks contact was very sparse as she had her phone stolen. She eventually got a new phone, and emailed me. For now for the last 3 months we talk/message constantly. She works for a law firm in Manila. 9hrs a day. The reason for me writing this is that I constantly hear of Filipinos being scammers gold diggers. And it puts doubt in your mind. The one thing I will say she has never asked for a penny off me. In fact I offered to buy her a phone so we could Skype. She wouldn't talk to me that morning. I felt I really insulted her. But now we are getting closer, I've told her I will see her at Christmas time. I want people's opinions if she is genuine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 02:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,169 times
Not every Filipino is a scammer. Looks like u may have found a good girl

Old 03-24-2015, 02:38 PM

722 posts, read 1,327,629 times
I wouldnt trust anybody on an internet dating from a 3rd world country , especially from Manila Philippines, it doesnt matter how friendly they may seem to be, there are plenty of friendly scammers too

it's always the same story, they are looking for someone not in the Philippines, preferably a westerner from the US, it's always a scam, anything to get you to help them get their foot in the door and other relatives after they get in.

it's best to meet one thats already a permanent resident or citizen in the USA

Old 03-24-2015, 07:29 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupdragon View Post
Hope some people can help,
I joined a dating website. First time ever. After completing the registration I did a search and saw a really incredible woman, I contacted her and we exchanged contact details. For the first two weeks contact was very sparse as she had her phone stolen. She eventually got a new phone, and emailed me. For now for the last 3 months we talk/message constantly. She works for a law firm in Manila. 9hrs a day. The reason for me writing this is that I constantly hear of Filipinos being scammers gold diggers. And it puts doubt in your mind. The one thing I will say she has never asked for a penny off me. In fact I offered to buy her a phone so we could Skype. She wouldn't talk to me that morning. I felt I really insulted her. But now we are getting closer, I've told her I will see her at Christmas time. I want people's opinions if she is genuine
Filipinas LOVE LOVE LOVE the internet. Tons and tons of them chat online trying to meet a prospective husband. They are very family-oriented.

From everything you describe, you have met one of the MANY MANY normal ones.

There are scammers, but you can intuitively tell right away. There are also some desparate with kids, no husband, and no money, etc.

But, if she is who she says she is, and she most likely is, you're good. I mean, you still have to consider everything you would with any long-distance connection. But, Filipinas are generally VERY authentic and SINCERELY looking for a life partner.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:41 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
OP, make sure you meet her in person, and video Skype with her before then before doing anything drastic like marrying. Meet her entire family

Old 03-24-2015, 11:02 PM

12,382 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
OP, make sure you meet her in person, and video Skype with her before then before doing anything drastic like marrying. Meet her entire family
Technically speaking unless the OP's home state has a marriage by proxy, designed for deployed soldiers wanting the fiance back home to have protection and normally not available to others you can't just up and marry. The Philippines has a 10 day waiting period so he will have to meet in person to and have a couple of weeks before marrying and/or starting any immigration petition to be together.

So after chatting and in this age by video one has to decide if it is worth it to spend your vacation time and at least $2000 on a vacation to risk a meeting. Nobody here can give a definitive answer of a person's risk versus reward tolerance,

Old 03-25-2015, 02:45 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,252,433 times
Soupdragon you have gotten some good advice, slow and steady, meet her first in person, spend some time with her walking around her town, taking lots of photos of you two together and see how it goes and then if you BOTH still feel it is for real, then go meet her family.

To me it sounds like you may have met one of the many wonderful ladies, my wife is a Filipina and she has been a blessing for me, and I had dated many women from many cultures before her.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:06 PM

12,382 posts, read 8,136,596 times
One advantage you have is that in this day is if she is paying to be on a dating site then she is paying to be on Facebook and other places to keep up with family and batchmates many of whom moved to Manila or overseas to work. If there us not evidence of a real person with a real life then you can raise your alert level.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:16 AM

750 posts, read 643,527 times
Take things slow OP. Use your head. Try to find a woman that is within 10-15 years age difference. 20+ and she is probably only interested in you for other reasons beside true love.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:04 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDALLOKUYA View Post
Take things slow OP. Use your head. Try to find a woman that is within 10-15 years age difference. 20+ and she is probably only interested in you for other reasons beside true love.
10-15 years? that is so......stereotypical
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia