Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2015, 05:24 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,476,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
Drifted onto this thread, but OMG the Chinese what a dreadful nation, what purpose does it serve, except producing thousands of antiquated coal fired power stations, killing all African wildlife, copying everything ( cannot be creative),polluting their own land being rude abroad. We would be better off without these locusts.
Then we wouldn't have cheap electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
LOL!! You win! You found me out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 05:29 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,107,170 times
Your right cheap, says it all. I`m a quality not quantity man.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:53 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,202,970 times
Quote:
No, you really need to dig more deeply. The real reason for China's preoccupation of the SCS is for the safety of its nuclear deterrence triad. The SCS is the only near sea which is deep enough to hide its relatively unsophisticated nuke subs carrying the Julang II's. The Bohai and the ECS are both too shallow, and all CHN subs going through there are immediately picked up by the US and japanese navies. To have the nuke subs operate in the SCS without any foreign interference, and to have Sanya area completely safe is a huge strategic consideration. China has relatively few nuke missiles and even fewer nuclear subs and to maintain its minimal deterrence at sea and protect its credibility is a huge concern, given the US's ABM abilities in that region.

The energy and fishing resources in the SCS, while important, pale compare to this consideration.

Making this area into a Chinese controlled wildlife sanctuary will allow the Chinese subs to cruise here safely and unhindered, but keeping the area still open to merchant shipping but no foreign military assets that can potentially threaten Chinese nuke subs. This is the real reason for all this tussle in the SCS. Do some more research and you'll see what I mean.

Here are some good articles

Obama's 'Pivot' Policy Toward China In The South China Sea Sure To Backfire - Forbes

How the South China Sea could help Beijing level the nuclear playing field - The Washington Post
These two articles don't even say that this is China's primary objective. Chinese nuclear submarine base disguised as a Chinese wildlife sanctuary? What a way of protecting the animals! Made in China and nuclear! Fishermen will automatically stop fishing the area once radioactive and mutant fish are detected in the sea. Brilliant strategy on environmental protection!

Old 06-06-2015, 01:51 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,104,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
These two articles don't even say that this is China's primary objective. Chinese nuclear submarine base disguised as a Chinese wildlife sanctuary? What a way of protecting the animals! Made in China and nuclear! Fishermen will automatically stop fishing the area once radioactive and mutant fish are detected in the sea. Brilliant strategy on environmental protection!
Well genius, nuclear subs passing through an area does not make the area radioactive......you do know this?

Old 06-06-2015, 04:07 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,202,970 times
Quote:
Well genius, nuclear subs passing through an area does not make the area radioactive......you do know this?
Yes, but the submarines in discussion here are MADE IN CHINA. Besides, do you know that the area around Scarborough Shoal is among the most earthquake-prone and typhoon-prone?

Old 06-06-2015, 09:14 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,104,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Yes, but the submarines in discussion here are MADE IN CHINA. Besides, do you know that the area around Scarborough Shoal is among the most earthquake-prone and typhoon-prone?
No, and what's your point? No subs are slated to be parked at Scarborough. The nuke sub base is on Hainan. The point is a no-foreign military zone for the safety and security of Chinese subs. At the same time, no fising or oil drilling from anyone as it's a nature preserve.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:13 AM

549 posts, read 722,426 times
Penny, let me ask you if you believe China is justified in their claims to the SCS? I too can think of a million reasons why they're doing what they're doing.

I see you finding reason for this and that and just want to make sure I don't confuse their reasoning with legitimate justification.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:36 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,476,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat View Post
Penny, let me ask you if you believe China is justified in their claims to the SCS? I too can think of a million reasons why they're doing what they're doing.

I see you finding reason for this and that and just want to make sure I don't confuse their reasoning with legitimate justification.
His justification is having the downfall of the US and the rise of authoritarian oppression.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:37 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times
^He's a she. She'd accuse you for being sexist if you call her a he, just saying.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:39 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,133,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat View Post

China isn't justified in taking the South China Sea but it is in their interest to do so due to its strategic importance. The countries surrounding the South China Sea are weak both economically and militarily so China's time is limited since these countries might grow both militarily and economically in the future and provide more of a challenge. They (China) are doing the right thing for their country since they are a country of 1.3 billion and they need the resources. Whether they are violating international law doesn't really matter since a lot of countries such as Israel violate international law with no repercussion. China already has an arms embargo anyways and the West isn't interested in pursuing any other sanctions since the business leaders would be very angry (imagine how mad Sheldon Adelson would be if he loses a license in Macau as a form of retaliation).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia