Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 06:16 AM

5,773 posts, read 5,055,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
But wait, aren't you a Scandinavian-descended, Mandarin-speaking American who is also an expert on China?
Yes, and your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 06:17 AM

5,773 posts, read 5,055,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
I don't claim to be a China expert.

I was, however, asked if I'd ever been to China.

You have a problem with my answer?
What made you think that?

Old 08-19-2015, 09:26 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,567,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
What made you think that?
I can't imagine...

Old 08-19-2015, 11:56 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,041,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
I've been to many places in China, many times, over the past 30 years. I have been speaking Mandarin for 30 years. I have family (in-laws) in China.
You said you married a Taiwanese. Now you have in-laws in China (meaning mainland)?

Oh, marrying a Taiwanese probably won't help you understand (mainland) China in a neutral way.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:22 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,622,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
China is not as developed on average. But China is ghastly? Maybe in Western propaganda.
I used to read articles about China on Yahoo News, and realized you would think China is hell if you only get information from there. I mean, at least 80% news are negative there. Not to mention CNN or Foxnews.

Have you been to China?
this is exactly why so many Americans have absolutely no knowledge about real China yet many have very strong opinions as if they were experts.

I feel sorry for those who are so brainwashed by the western propaganda machine, which is as strong as Chinese media but smarter, without realizing it. Reading the CNN makes me understand why so many people act like that.

The CNN is incredibly, unbelievably biased with its own set of agenda. Providing unadulterated facts, impartial analysis or just the complete picture never seems to be of any concern. I despise it from the bottom of my heart.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
You said you married a Taiwanese. Now you have in-laws in China (meaning mainland)?
My wife is obviously the daughter of waishengren parents in Taiwan. As such, she has family in China. Lots of family in China.

Quote:
Oh, marrying a Taiwanese probably won't help you understand (mainland) China in a neutral way.
Oh, but, studying China since the age of 12, traveling to China many times over the past 30 years, speaking Chinese, having business with Chinese entities over the past 20 years, having Chinese in-laws who I have known since 1989... That might give me some insights to China and the Chinese.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:28 PM

102,052 posts, read 106,836,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Does anyone know what cities in Taiwan have the strongest Japanese "feel?" I've only been to Taipei and a few rural areas but I don't see where that's coming from.
Strange question. Most Taiwanese don't think fondly of the Japanese, and wouldn't be interested in supporting a "Japanese feel" to any locale there. I've been in communities where the elders all spoke Japanese, not Chinese. They didn't have anything good to say about the Japanese.

Old 08-21-2015, 04:36 AM

8,868 posts, read 8,336,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Strange question. Most Taiwanese don't think fondly of the Japanese, and wouldn't be interested in supporting a "Japanese feel" to any locale there. I've been in communities where the elders all spoke Japanese, not Chinese. They didn't have anything good to say about the Japanese.
It obviously differs from person to person but I'd say the majority of Taiwanese population are fond of Japan, or at least not anti-Japan like how Koreans and Chinese are. There are various reasons behind such sentiment(the revisit of the colonial past, the massive Japanese cultural output, the fact that Japan is the most successful society in Asia, an obvious common enemy, and they weren't that cruel to Taiwanese in comparison with to Koreans etc.) but that's just the way it is.

It's also perfectly reasonable for those you met to dislike the Japanese though, the Japanese weren't exactly all cotton candy and bubble tea when they were colonising us.

Last edited by Greysholic; 08-21-2015 at 05:00 AM..

Old 08-21-2015, 06:06 AM

919 posts, read 832,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
At least I don't think eating dogs is allowed in taiwan. The taiwanese I know tend to be very kind to animals, which I really appreciate. The Chinese are not nearly as evolved in that respect and they are extremely cruel to animals.
I've brought my puppy from China to Japan. I don't want to see any dogs are eaten, however, I think that's only my ego.

If the Chinese who eat dogs are not evolved, so are the Swiss who eat dogs.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
If the Chinese who eat dogs are not evolved, so are the Swiss who eat dogs.
Of course. Anyone who eats dog is neanderthal-like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia