Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 06:24 PM

2,408 posts, read 2,432,851 times

Advertisements

When I backpacked throughout Asia in the 90's I always avoided Singapore thinking it a dreadfully boring, conservative, antiseptic authoritarian wasteland.

Well, I spent a few days in Singapore recently on route to Java and Sulawesi and have to say I was blown away.

Here is a gallery of my photos:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/sets/72157649782904849

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 07:51 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philmar View Post
When I backpacked throughout Asia in the 90's I always avoided Singapore thinking it a dreadfully boring, conservative, antiseptic authoritarian wasteland.

Well, I spent a few days in Singapore recently on route to Java and Sulawesi and have to say I was blown away.

yep, I always hear that 'stereotype' about Singapore from 'first timers to Asia'. I think a person has to become more familiar with Asia, to truly appreciate Singapore.

First-timers tend to want Thailand, Vietnam, types of places. So, they are disappointed to see some expensive multicultural first world city like Singapore.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:06 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
OP, I hope you stayed at Ali's Nest in Little India. In the 90s, it was one of the world's great backpacker destinations, and Ive heard that it still is.

Old 06-21-2015, 03:22 PM

317 posts, read 373,909 times
Singapore is one of the easiest places to travel to. We went there in February (coming from Northern China) and was amazed out how clean it was and how easy to get by with English. Lots of it looked like Honolulu. Too bad it is too expensive to live as an expat - I got the feeling you could do fine as an investment banker but for us International teachers it would be a stretch.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:19 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
For a westerner to visit Asia but end up in Singapore is like for a Chinese to visit America and spend most of his time in Chinatown.

Suffice to say Singapore is one of the less interesting places in Asia. Sometimes stereotypes hold a lot of truth. Japan is clean and orderly, but not nearly that boring. That's not to say Singapore is not a good place, it is a fantastic country IMO, just not a fantastic place to travel to.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:59 AM

440 posts, read 662,473 times
Singapore is still very Asian in cultures for being a mainly English country. Few people regard Singapore as a western country. The population is Asian by majority. It is also a very multicultural Asian country.
Singapore is more Asian than the more westernised Phillippines, both English speaking countries.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:49 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
This is the asian forum, probably most of the posters know what Singapore is like and go there regularly, quite a few posters here live there.

Yeah it's not the most exciting city. The culture is there, but you have to look for it and know where to find it away from the air conditioned malls on Orchard Road with there Gap, Neiman Marcus, and Louis Vouitton stores.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:53 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,580,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
This is the asian forum, probably most of the posters know what Singapore is like and go there regularly, quite a few posters here live there.

Yeah it's not the most exciting city. The culture is there, but you have to look for it and know where to find it away from the air conditioned malls on Orchard Road with there Gap, Neiman Marcus, and Louis Vouitton stores.
Come on - that IS the culture; that and hawker centers. Not saying that is a bad thing.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:56 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,580,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philmar View Post

Nice photos - you have talent.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:01 PM

440 posts, read 662,473 times
Singapore is a melting pot of different cultures.

It is not exciting, the feeling is more conservative, with less famous celebrities like in Japan, South Korea, Taiwan and HK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia