U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-19-2015, 11:15 AM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,366 posts, read 19,297,224 times
Reputation: 8483

Advertisements

China's backwardness and superstition are really a problem for the world due to the size of the Chinese population. Even if many Chinese were breaking with their outdated traditions, the remaining ones are just too many for entire species to survive. 95% of the butchering of elephants in Africa is directly China's fault as they pay/bribe those barbarians in Africa to kill the elephants for their stupid ivory carving:

http://cdn1.spiegel.de/images/image-...eryV9-jvli.jpg

Entire clans of those highly intelligent animals are left behind traumatized for life.


Even worse is the situation of rhinos, they will likely die out thanks to the Chinese.

 
Old 06-19-2015, 12:59 PM
 
6,722 posts, read 6,599,126 times
Reputation: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
China's backwardness and superstition are really a problem for the world due to the size of the Chinese population. Even if many Chinese were breaking with their outdated traditions, the remaining ones are just too many for entire species to survive. 95% of the butchering of elephants in Africa is directly China's fault as they pay/bribe those barbarians in Africa to kill the elephants for their stupid ivory carving:

http://cdn1.spiegel.de/images/image-...eryV9-jvli.jpg

Entire clans of those highly intelligent animals are left behind traumatized for life.


Even worse is the situation of rhinos, they will likely die out thanks to the Chinese.
Killing dogs or elephants is not a Chinese tradition.
China had never had any dog meat festival or anything alike in 4000 years of history.
 
Old 06-19-2015, 01:05 PM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,366 posts, read 19,297,224 times
Reputation: 8483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Killing dogs or elephants is not a Chinese tradition.
China had never had any dog meat festival or anything alike in 4000 years of history.
Where do the Chinese think ivory comes from? The Chinese know it comes from butchered elephants. Thus, by buying ivory products they are guilty of murdering elephants.

You are defending irresponsible, bad people there...
 
Old 06-19-2015, 02:00 PM
 
268 posts, read 324,137 times
Reputation: 170
You might actually be surprised (or not) by the opinion of some Chinese in China that Americans also have a culture of violence and barbarism, based solely off of what's constantly in the media. It seems every month or so there's a shooting rampage somewhere, or a violent protest of some sort. Not to mention the amount of homicides where a gun was used, and the fact that America has the largest incarceration rate of any country in the world. Simply looking at gun-violence statistics, who's to say these people in China are wrong? Fact is, it goes both ways. And while this dog festival certainly might be an issue in some sense, you cannot pretend like there isn't worse going on, much closer to home.

Basing your opinions entirely on what is being portrayed in the media is often not the best idea for a well-rounded picture either. Any person who is American, or who as lived in America for a long period of time, knows that although gun-violence is an increasingly important problem, it does not represent the entire culture. Similarly in China, this dog festival represents a small minority, and does not represent an entire culture.
 
Old 06-19-2015, 02:08 PM
 
4,678 posts, read 3,609,147 times
Reputation: 7380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Killing dogs or elephants is not a Chinese tradition.
China had never had any dog meat festival or anything alike in 4000 years of history.
Do you not read any of the links that I posted? Anyone with a basic understanding of Chinese history knows that dog eating has been around since the Han dynasty. Dog meat was very popular and widely available even in 1949, and the grisly dog butchering right outside in Beijing's suburbs were only put out of business just 10 years ago. Get real! A famous dog meat restaurant in Guangzhou was only shuttered recently (so much of Guangzhou people being civilized and sophisticated...all BS).

As for rhino horns, go look up what it supposedly does in the annals of Chinese Traditional Medicine (which is a crock of BS, to be polite). And ivory carving has been around since forever. In fact, my mother has a set of ivory mah-jong set given to her by some old friends of the family from China. Grotesque attempt at refinement.

China is definitely the end- driver of the killing of elephants and rhinos, though to be fair, international pressure is working and China is being shamed into step by step cutting back and limiting iveory use. The hope is that the country will ban ivory use completely soon. Rhino horns are already illegal in China. What you do need to remember is that there are millions of Chinese who live in SE Asia, and they drive alot of the trade in ivory and rhino horns, and they do not live under Chinese jurisdiction.

Here are the countryes responsible for the decline of the rhinos...it's not just China, but also Korea, Japan, Vietnam and Taiwan.

https://www.savetherhino.org/rhino_i...for_rhino_horn

and progress being made...

WildAid | Consumer Awareness of Ivory and Rhino Horn Trade

There are some educated Chinese who are dedicated to saving these animals. But they are working against the weight of thousands of years of Chinese cultural arrogance and stupidity, along with the Chinese instinct to cling to their old and outdated ways for their own sense of comfort and safety, just like it took decades to eliminate foot binding in the 20th century.
 
Old 06-19-2015, 02:17 PM
 
4,678 posts, read 3,609,147 times
Reputation: 7380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Where do the Chinese think ivory comes from? The Chinese know it comes from butchered elephants. Thus, by buying ivory products they are guilty of murdering elephants.

You are defending irresponsible, bad people there...
Not completely true. A good number of Chinese think the tusks are from elephants who drop their tusks like we lose hair every so often to grow new hair. That's how ignorant some are. The rest just don't care, or get all defensive when they know full well it's wrong to kill elephants for their tusks.

Last edited by pennyone; 06-19-2015 at 02:43 PM..
 
Old 06-19-2015, 02:50 PM
 
Location: Earth
4,509 posts, read 3,092,720 times
Reputation: 3355
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Not completely true. A good number of Chinese think the tusks are from elephants who drop their tusks like we lose hair every so often to grow new hair. That's how ignorant some are. The rest just don't care, or get all defensive when they know full well it's wrong to kill elephants for their tusks.
see what happens when you don't have the free exchange of information.
 
Old 06-19-2015, 03:16 PM
 
6,722 posts, read 6,599,126 times
Reputation: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Do you not read any of the links that I posted? Anyone with a basic understanding of Chinese history knows that dog eating has been around since the Han dynasty. Dog meat was very popular and widely available even in 1949, and the grisly dog butchering right outside in Beijing's suburbs were only put out of business just 10 years ago. Get real! A famous dog meat restaurant in Guangzhou was only shuttered recently (so much of Guangzhou people being civilized and sophisticated...all BS).

As for rhino horns, go look up what it supposedly does in the annals of Chinese Traditional Medicine (which is a crock of BS, to be polite). And ivory carving has been around since forever. In fact, my mother has a set of ivory mah-jong set given to her by some old friends of the family from China. Grotesque attempt at refinement.

China is definitely the end- driver of the killing of elephants and rhinos, though to be fair, international pressure is working and China is being shamed into step by step cutting back and limiting iveory use. The hope is that the country will ban ivory use completely soon. Rhino horns are already illegal in China. What you do need to remember is that there are millions of Chinese who live in SE Asia, and they drive alot of the trade in ivory and rhino horns, and they do not live under Chinese jurisdiction.

Here are the countryes responsible for the decline of the rhinos...it's not just China, but also Korea, Japan, Vietnam and Taiwan.

https://www.savetherhino.org/rhino_i...for_rhino_horn

and progress being made...

WildAid | Consumer Awareness of Ivory and Rhino Horn Trade

There are some educated Chinese who are dedicated to saving these animals. But they are working against the weight of thousands of years of Chinese cultural arrogance and stupidity, along with the Chinese instinct to cling to their old and outdated ways for their own sense of comfort and safety, just like it took decades to eliminate foot binding in the 20th century.

I know much more about Chinese culture than you do. 100% positive.

Yes, people ate dogs at times, just like in any other nation. However dog is NEVER a common source of food in Chinese history. In fact there is a famous Chinese saying Moderator cut: English only (every Chinese person knows this idiom btw), which means dog meat is considered low-class food and only uncultured people eat it.

There is also another famous Chinese saying Moderator cut: English only. In this context, dog killers are the opposite of intellectuals. Although this idiom actually says dog killers can often be loyal friends, and intellectuals can often be traitors.

Again, you know nothing about traditional Chinese culture and should stop acting like an expert.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-19-2015 at 08:06 PM..
 
Old 06-19-2015, 03:22 PM
 
6,722 posts, read 6,599,126 times
Reputation: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Where do the Chinese think ivory comes from? The Chinese know it comes from butchered elephants. Thus, by buying ivory products they are guilty of murdering elephants.

You are defending irresponsible, bad people there...
China has very few elephants to begin with. In ancient times, tusks were always traded in.

In recent two decades, some Chinese buyers may have caused the death of many elephants in Africa, but the effect is exaggerated. It is illegal in China anyway, and the black market is not as big as many people described.
 
Old 06-19-2015, 03:25 PM
 
4,678 posts, read 3,609,147 times
Reputation: 7380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I know much more about Chinese culture than you do. 100% positive.

Yes, people ate dogs at times, just like in any other nation. However dog is NEVER a common source of food in Chinese history. In fact there is a famous Chinese saying Moderator cut: English only (every Chinese person knows this idiom btw), which means dog meat is considered low-class food and only uncultured people eat it.

There is also another famous Chinese saying Moderator cut: English only In this context, dog killers are the opposite of intellectuals. Although this idiom actually says dog killers can often be loyal friends, and intellectuals can often be traitors.

Again, you know nothing about traditional Chinese culture and should stop acting like an expert.
Who the heck is claiming to be an expert in Chinese culture? Not me. I only point out the Han dynasty to counter your assertion that dog meat eating is not a tradition. If not, it certainly is a habit for many people, clearly. The thread is about Yulin and the dog meat festival. Eating dog meat has been around for a long time, and if you say that the meat is considered base, then so be it...there are many base people in China indeed. Look at those picture and anyone can tell you that the unsanitary and filthy conditions reflect a very poor third world condition. The brutality and the unsanitary conditions are a true reflection of China today and you should be ashamed of it as a Chinese.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-19-2015 at 08:08 PM.. Reason: Edited quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top