U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-19-2015, 04:05 PM
 
6,722 posts, read 6,597,578 times
Reputation: 2386

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Who the heck is claiming to be an expert in Chinese culture? Not me. I only point out the Han dynasty to counter your assertion that dog meat eating is not a tradition. If not, it certainly is a habit for many people, clearly. The thread is about Yulin and the dog meat festival. Eating dog meat has been around for a long time, and if you say that the meat is considered base, then so be it...there are many base people in China indeed. Look at those picture and anyone can tell you that the unsanitary and filthy conditions reflect a very poor third world condition. The brutality and the unsanitary conditions are a true reflection of China today and you should be ashamed of it as a Chinese.
It is well documented in Chinese history books that humans eat humans at times.
A famous Chinese poem reads Moderator cut: English only (Heroes eat barbarians' meat when being hungry).
You want to claim cannibalism is a Chinese tradition? What's your point?

By the way, original Yulin people are Kam-Tai, not even Sinitic. Who knows where the "tradition" is from?

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-19-2015 at 08:09 PM..

 
Old 06-19-2015, 06:38 PM
 
268 posts, read 324,001 times
Reputation: 170
I think we have already come to the conclusion that eating dog is, for the most part, not a good thing. Animal cruelty is worse. It exists in China, and it's image is further tarnished because of it. Animal rights there are not as good as in first world countries, and the government should do more to improve them. Though the barbaric nature of *some* people in parts of the country does not reflect the nature of everyone, especially in a country so large. I don't think anyone can debate these facts anymore.

China is a massive developing country; unsanitary and filthy places will still be quite prevalent. No one should be surprised by this that would consider themselves worldly. There is a significantly large portion of the population that are uneducated and ignorant, and *some* places still carry customs and traditions that are considered backward to most. I think it requires a shift in ideas and morals, which does not happen overnight. Sure, the government could probably just shut it down if they wanted, but I'm guessing it's a bit more complex than that. Personally, I'd like to see more opinions about what can be done to change what is happening, rather than just country bashing. It would probably be more productive for everyone.
 
Old 06-19-2015, 08:13 PM
 
Location: Taipei
6,771 posts, read 5,114,752 times
Reputation: 4555
Quote:
Originally Posted by guawazi View Post
Personally, I'd like to see more opinions about what can be done to change what is happening, rather than just country bashing. It would probably be more productive for everyone.
I think we have also come to the conclusion that nothing can be done. CCP doesn't give a flying Moderator cut: language, and the majority of people in China, while don't encourage such dietary preference, simply don't care enough to do anything about it.

Moderator cut: off topic/against TOS

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-19-2015 at 08:30 PM..
 
Old 06-19-2015, 08:36 PM
 
Location: My beloved Bluegrass
14,724 posts, read 10,613,501 times
Reputation: 19896
No more personal attacks! You shouldn't be talking about other posters at all. This is a violation of the TOS and I am going to start issuing infractions for it instead of just deleting/editing.

EDITED TO ADD: I just handed out a slew of infractions for not only continuing personal attacks but also discussion of moderation. This is not up for debate. If you can not post and discuss the topic only, especially if it involves discussing other posters, please exercise self control and do not post at all on this thread. It is immaterial if you don't mind if other posters discuss you, it is against the TOS.
__________________
When I post in bold red that is moderator action and, per the TOS, can only be discussed through Direct Message.Moderator - Arkansas & subforums, Asia, Kentucky & subforums, Military Life, and P&OC

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-20-2015 at 07:28 AM..
 
Old 06-19-2015, 08:52 PM
AFP
 
6,898 posts, read 4,229,093 times
Reputation: 5878
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
It's shocking that Yulin's festival is NOT a time honored tradition, but some hyped up grotesque marketing ploy by the town folks and their local corrupt officials in 2009 to drum up tourism. I think they should all be punished by Beijing for ruining China's international reputation. I am still amazed that the Chinese higher authorities didn't intervene and shut it down, given its tremendous public health hazard, its brazen defiance of China's food safety laws and clear detriment to China's international image.

Friend or food? Dog meat festival divides China - CNN.com
Wow Just wow! Some of those Golden Retriever mix puppies in that awful video are so cute, they look like Comet on Full House.

https://fullhousereviewed.files.word...2011/03/23.jpg
 
Old 06-20-2015, 09:14 AM
 
117 posts, read 64,128 times
Reputation: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by guawazi View Post
I think we have already come to the conclusion that eating dog is, for the most part, not a good thing. Animal cruelty is worse. It exists in China, and it's image is further tarnished because of it. Animal rights there are not as good as in first world countries, and the government should do more to improve them. Though the barbaric nature of *some* people in parts of the country does not reflect the nature of everyone, especially in a country so large. I don't think anyone can debate these facts anymore.

China is a massive developing country; unsanitary and filthy places will still be quite prevalent. No one should be surprised by this that would consider themselves worldly. There is a significantly large portion of the population that are uneducated and ignorant, and *some* places still carry customs and traditions that are considered backward to most. I think it requires a shift in ideas and morals, which does not happen overnight. Sure, the government could probably just shut it down if they wanted, but I'm guessing it's a bit more complex than that. Personally, I'd like to see more opinions about what can be done to change what is happening, rather than just country bashing. It would probably be more productive for everyone.
Dog meat is also consumed in European alp countries e.g. Switzerland. Do you think they are barbaric too?
 
Old 06-20-2015, 09:40 AM
 
117 posts, read 64,128 times
Reputation: 119
Dogs were first domesticated in some region in southwest China. So are cows, chickens and pigs. They were domesticated probably for a permanent source of protein, before it spread worldwide and adopted by everyone else. It is a part of some folks' traditions in China for at least 5,000 or more years. Why people allow alp countries in Europe to consume dog meat and some parts in China can't? I mean it is their traditional festival for thousands of years. It is a kind of contradictory to me.
 
Old 06-20-2015, 10:35 AM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,366 posts, read 19,293,025 times
Reputation: 8478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
China has very few elephants to begin with. In ancient times, tusks were always traded in.

In recent two decades, some Chinese buyers may have caused the death of many elephants in Africa, but the effect is exaggerated. It is illegal in China anyway, and the black market is not as big as many people described.
Of course it has very few elephants, they used to have a lot actually, but guess why they are gone now?
That is why they import African ivory now. And unlike the official version, China's government is actively involved in the smuggling, they are pushing ivory carving as what they consider art. To that end there are more and more schools teaching it. I have seen a detailed documentary on how that whole smuggling works.


The Chinese are a bit like Europeans 50 years ago. Back then we didn't care much about animal rights here, either. Most Chinese still seem to lack that empathy for animals.


I agree, though, that it is a bit odd when people in the West complain about eating dogs. It seems a bit arbitrary to say dogs are taboo, but pigs, cows and even horses are not. They are all mammals, and none of them are endangered. Actually, there are way too many dogs in my view.

Unlike elephants and rhinos, whose numbers are dwindling. And elephants are a different league compared to those other species, they are, along with whales/dolphins and other big apes, on the human level in many ways.
 
Old 06-20-2015, 06:41 PM
 
268 posts, read 324,001 times
Reputation: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmun View Post
Dog meat is also consumed in European alp countries e.g. Switzerland. Do you think they are barbaric too?
No, not if they do it in a civilized way. Clearly people are outraged at the treatment of dogs in this festival, not necessarily the consumption of them. I doubt you'd see much uproar if the only images of the festival were of dog meat on a plate with vegetables and potatoes in a nice restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top