U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-04-2015, 09:10 AM
 
15,739 posts, read 9,275,399 times
Reputation: 14228

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiegendesLicht View Post
Maybe Americans should bomb China next? You know, to save all the poor doggies.
Or put your money where your mouth is. Recently a group paid a lot of money to transition a Korean farmer from raising dogs to raising crops. The reality is these farmers are doing what they can to survive, and unless someone else helps them out, they have no means to change. It's a cruel world out there, when you're trying to put food on your table. If you're so committed to changing that, pony up the cash.

 
Old 06-04-2015, 11:20 AM
 
4,710 posts, read 3,629,460 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmei View Post
I do not disagree with you. However, I do find boiling live lobster and force fed duck for liver cruel and barbaric. Why do you feel that it's a Chinese only issue?
It's not a Chinese only issue. But this is a board for Asia and China is in Asia. And this dog festival in question (see link above) is in Yulin China during June every year. I absolutely detest the French love for diseased liver!! Disgusting! I never said the Chinese are the only barbaric crowd. But eating dogs the way the Chinese do is disgusting. But so is clubbing baby deals (Canadians) and butchering pods of dolphins in desolate bays and hunting whales for "science" (japanese).

The Viets love cat meat, for some reason, even more than the Chinese do.
 
Old 06-04-2015, 11:34 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,292,483 times
Reputation: 7587
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
China has many ugly cultural habits, and you know it. Pointing out these ugly habits is the only way China can get better because it is a closed society and its people prefer to wallow in their own complacent ignorance.
Of course I know. Many of its habits and customs are annoying, many downright disturbing.

But we are talking about two issues here: one is eating dog meat itself, the other is cruelty to animals, including dogs.

I don't condone the second and find the first not an issue. Let's not mix these two.
 
Old 06-04-2015, 04:17 PM
 
1,098 posts, read 1,674,436 times
Reputation: 971
Today is the Tian'anmen massacre anniversary. The OP does not even care about human rights and cruelty anyway. If she cares that much about animal rights, why not take her own advice and protest at the nearest Chinese embassy/consulate?
 
Old 06-04-2015, 04:33 PM
 
4,710 posts, read 3,629,460 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Today is the Tian'anmen massacre anniversary. The OP does not even care about human rights and cruelty anyway. If she cares that much about animal rights, why not take her own advice and protest at the nearest Chinese embassy/consulate?
Actually, the T incident has nothing to do with my post. Please stay on topic. It's like when someone tells you that she hates candy, and then you complain that she should have gone to church because it's Sunday. Your line of thinking makes no sense. If you want to discuss the T Incident, start another thread.
 
Old 06-04-2015, 06:57 PM
 
1,098 posts, read 1,674,436 times
Reputation: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Actually, the T incident has nothing to do with my post. Please stay on topic. It's like when someone tells you that she hates candy, and then you complain that she should have gone to church because it's Sunday. Your line of thinking makes no sense. If you want to discuss the T Incident, start another thread.
Don't you get that before anyone in a country would even think of advocating for animal rights, human rights have to be established first? Has nothing to do with candy or going to church.

I've been to ten Chinese cities and had been introduced and even tried a number of "weird" food, but never had I been offered or seen dog meat there. They might exist, but it's certainly as common as you make it out to be.

China had melamine milk, gutter oil and so many other food safety issues. Your animal cruelty concern is among the least of anyone's concern there. Food safety (for the daily types of food first) before anyone would even start talking about animal cruelty in the exotic food category (which is likewise still "safe" to eat anyway). If you also cannot understand that line of thinking, I don't think there's anything to discuss. You might as well try advocating using porn so people can notice animal cruelty as PETA does (or maybe you're their member already). Just figure out how to get porn go through the Great Firewall of China.
 
Old 06-04-2015, 08:21 PM
 
Location: Earth
4,537 posts, read 3,117,106 times
Reputation: 3373
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Don't you get that before anyone in a country would even think of advocating for animal rights, human rights have to be established first? Has nothing to do with candy or going to church.

I've been to ten Chinese cities and had been introduced and even tried a number of "weird" food, but never had I been offered or seen dog meat there. They might exist, but it's certainly as common as you make it out to be.

China had melamine milk, gutter oil and so many other food safety issues. Your animal cruelty concern is among the least of anyone's concern there. Food safety (for the daily types of food first) before anyone would even start talking about animal cruelty in the exotic food category (which is likewise still "safe" to eat anyway). If you also cannot understand that line of thinking, I don't think there's anything to discuss. You might as well try advocating using porn so people can notice animal cruelty as PETA does (or maybe you're their member already). Just figure out how to get porn go through the Great Firewall of China.
they don't understand these things. They're drinking the PRC's melamine milk.
 
Old 06-04-2015, 11:09 PM
 
Location: Denver
3,202 posts, read 2,654,240 times
Reputation: 2236
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmun View Post
Probably you guys don't know the issues in slaughterhouses. Here some some excerpt from WIKI. It is more or less still in practice today. I read some article about pigs recently. Pigs are boiled alive to save time.

"Within, she unveils the interviews of slaughterhouse workers in the U.S. who say that, because of the speed with which they are required to work, animals are routinely skinned while apparently alive, and still blinking, kicking, and shrieking"

"According to the HFA, Eiznitz interviewed slaughterhouse workers representing over two million hours of experience, who, without exception, told her that they have beaten, strangled, boiled, and dismembered animals alive, or have failed to report those who do. The workers described the effects the violence has had on their personal lives, with several admitting to being physically abusive or taking to alcohol and other drugs"


"The HFA alleges that workers are required to kill up to 1,100 hogs an hour, and end up taking their frustration out on the animals.[24] Eisnitz interviewed one worker, who had worked in ten slaughterhouses, about pig production. He told her:

Hogs get stressed out pretty easy. If you prod them too much, they have heart attacks. If you get a hog in the chute that's had the **** prodded out of him and has a heart attack or refuses to move, you take a meat hook and hook it into his bunghole. You try to do this by clipping the hipbone. Then you drag him backwards. You're dragging these hogs alive, and a lot of times the meat hook rips out of the bunghole. I've seen hamsthighs — completely ripped open. I've also seen intestines come out. If the hog collapses near the front of the chute, you shove the meat hook into his cheek and drag him forward.[25]"








Bingo. And the other posters said it best about US slaughterhouses. It's much more cruel to give an animal a horrible life in a pen than it is to torture it as it dies. That only takes like an hour or so, it's not that bad, its the lifetime of misery that's the real abuse.

If we cared more about animals, we'd be boycotting the meat industrial complex, not complaining about how some cat or dog was tortured, because a pig is as intelligent or more intelligent than those animals and should get the same treatment cats and dogs do.
 
Old 06-04-2015, 11:35 PM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,783 posts, read 13,381,493 times
Reputation: 11313
I've been vegetarian for 16 years and find eating a cow or pig to be as grotesque as eating a cat or dog. I have worked extensively in restaurants, and do a popular pop-up texmex kitchen here, so I have handled and prepared meat many times.

I've also worked for the county coroner's office and dealt with dead people in varying stages of deconstruction; they don't look a whole hell of a lot different from a dead animal.
 
Old 06-04-2015, 11:38 PM
 
6,730 posts, read 6,625,020 times
Reputation: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Absolutely untrue. I for one am hardly religious and have no attachment to any form of Judeo-Christian religions. These religions do not have a monopoly on kindness and humanity. By excusing China's barbaric cultural habits, you are doing a disservice to your own people. You also notice I do not support the usual "democracy gung-ho" crowd because I agree that Chinese authoritarianism is a necessity for China at this point. But cruelty is a social and cultural issue, not a political one. Don't confuse the issues.
It's just a tradition. The specific content can range from Christianity to human rights to animal welfare.
Westerners want to change other people's ideology.
Communism (derived from western culture too) is like that also.

Traditionally, Chinese cared little about what other people believe. It may or may not be a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top