U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 04:33 PM

268 posts, read 326,136 times

Advertisements

Yes, many people in China do see certain parts of Guangdong and Guangxi as incredibly backward. I couldn't imagine any of my Chinese friends in China would ever touch dog meat. Having lived and traveled extensively in southwestern China, I never once saw anyone selling/buying/eating the stuff. Yulin "and other Chinese places" still represent a very small, small minority of the populace. Also, China is still a developing country after all. A massive developing country. There will be a rural/poor segment of the population that are slow to adapt to current cultural norms, or don't care to adapt at all. I imagine that overtime attitudes towards dog eating, and the approach to dog slaughtering, will change. But tradition is tradition, and a scolding or slap on the wrist from outsiders might not be enough to correct these "cultural flaws".

Old 06-14-2015, 09:03 AM

4,710 posts, read 3,631,706 times
Here, if you don't believe how barbaric some Chinese are, then just watch the picture caption from the link below. If you read Chinese, then even better.

Basically, there is a dog fight on a city street, and as the two dogs struggled, the weaker one was dragged out by its owner (presumably) and then beaten to death right there on the spot with a bat. That's the sad fate of a dog in China (and most other animals). So barbaric, and this happened in broad day light, out in the open, with people watching and no police intervention because it's just considered "normal" in China.

If this is normal, I wonder what is considered not normal in China! All of you who are Chinese cultural apologists should be ashamed of yourselves. The Chinese people should be ashamed that they allow this sort of things to happen in their own country (among other deplorable things). But I am sadly no longer all that surprised by these news from China.

This also happened in Guangdong province, where someone from Guangzhou (capital city of the province) proudly proclaimed in a previous post that he is so civilized and that it's the inland migrants who eat dogs. Well, it looks to me like the "prosperous" and "civilized" people of Guangdong province is not so kind and civilized after all. What's sad is that Guangdong is one of China's most advanced and prosperous province by GDP count.....

广东汕头血腥斗狗:狗输后遭主人当场活活摔死 -6park.com

Old 06-14-2015, 09:18 AM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,260,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Here, if you don't believe how barbaric some Chinese are, then just watch the picture caption from the link below. If you read Chinese, then even better.

Basically, there is a dog fight on a city street, and as the two dogs struggled, the weaker one was dragged out by its owner (presumably) and then beaten to death right there on the spot with a bat. That's the sad fate of a dog in China (and most other animals). So barbaric, and this happened in broad day light, out in the open, with people watching and no police intervention because it's just considered "normal" in China.

If this is normal, I wonder what is considered not normal in China! All of you who are Chinese cultural apologists should be ashamed of yourselves. The Chinese people should be ashamed that they allow this sort of things to happen in their own country (among other deplorable things). But I am sadly no longer all that surprised by these news from China.

This also happened in Guangdong province, where someone from Guangzhou (capital city of the province) proudly proclaimed in a previous post that he is so civilized and that it's the inland migrants who eat dogs. Well, it looks to me like the "prosperous" and "civilized" people of Guangdong province is not so kind and civilized after all. What's sad is that Guangdong is one of China's most advanced and prosperous province by GDP count.....

Despicable shame on China for tolerating this sort of abuse and also on the apologists for defending it.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:38 PM

18,680 posts, read 23,314,854 times
Well, until they DO have an animal cruelty law, I will be spending my travel dollars elsewhere.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:20 PM

1,101 posts, read 1,675,631 times
Quote:

I thought you said that this thread is about Yulin and dog eating only. Why has it now evolved to dog fighting somewhere else in another province? How you want to twist the facts. Nowhere does it say in that link you provided that this is normal. In fact, it says there at the bottom that netizens are furious and is calling the one who beat the dog shameless and barbaric. Anyway, for someone who defends the Chinese Communist Party, I don't know what your intentions are for these posts. I don't understand why you even insist that the PRC should be the environment protector of the South China Sea in the other thread.

Quote:

Dog fighting also happens in the US. Not so long ago involving a former NFL quarterback. Are we supposed to accuse every American too why dog fighting happens in another city or another state?

I believe the person you are talking about who lives in Guangzhou is 415_s2k who is actually American. And yes, please learn your geography too. The Pearl River Delta region, which includes Guangzhou in Central Guangdong, is advanced and prosperous. But both the western and eastern sides of Guangdong aren't exactly that prosperous and are sources of a lot of inland migrants to the Pearl River Delta.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:02 PM

90 posts, read 178,018 times
I am against animal cruelty but not against eating dogs. Just because dogs are companion animal for some does not mean it is for others. Heck I've seen pet pigs. Not that I'd ever eat a dog because I grew up in an environment where that is not something on the menu ever but I would not begrudge a friend for eating dog meat. The focus should be more on treatment of all animals rather than a select few species we deem superior than others.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:10 AM

9,784 posts, read 13,386,277 times
Quote:

how do you figure this is "normal?"

If you are referring to me, then yes, as goldentiger noted (and I believe you are aware), I'm an american, and I did say that I have seen dog meat here, but it was in the boonies, in a migrant-heavy factory district.

Guangong is a hugely-populous place. The PRD alone has more people than many nations, and is host to major, modern cities like GZ, SZ, ZH, HK, and Macau. It's like when people dump on Texas as being a backwards, redneck, ignorant, Paleo-conservative hole, even though it has modern and diverse places like Dallas, Houston, and Austin, where a majority of its people live.

In any case, I actually, you know, here. I live here every day. I know it from more than just viral videos that people share with an agenda. I haven't ever seen anyone beating their dog on the street. I see people walking their dogs everyday.

I really do find it weird how you defend Chinese culture and defend its actions towards its people and the world around it, but then blow a gasket and declare them to be disgusting and barbaric because a minority of people engage in repugnant behavior.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:27 AM

4,710 posts, read 3,631,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
how do you figure this is "normal?"

If you are referring to me, then yes, as goldentiger noted (and I believe you are aware), I'm an american, and I did say that I have seen dog meat here, but it was in the boonies, in a migrant-heavy factory district.

Guangong is a hugely-populous place. The PRD alone has more people than many nations, and is host to major, modern cities like GZ, SZ, ZH, HK, and Macau. It's like when people dump on Texas as being a backwards, redneck, ignorant, Paleo-conservative hole, even though it has modern and diverse places like Dallas, Houston, and Austin, where a majority of its people live.

In any case, I actually, you know, here. I live here every day. I know it from more than just viral videos that people share with an agenda. I haven't ever seen anyone beating their dog on the street. I see people walking their dogs everyday.

I really do find it weird how you defend Chinese culture and defend its actions towards its people and the world around it, but then blow a gasket and declare them to be disgusting and barbaric because a minority of people engage in repugnant behavior.
Pointless for me to continue to explain the difference between cultural flaws and political organization. But if you all want to bring this discussion to an attack on the PRC government, when the videos and the link are all about Chinese people doing grotesque things, then so be it. I wont waste my time arguing with you.

But I will continue to post barbaric actions and behaviors from China to prove show China's problems with animal cruelty and its cultural problem with having absolutely no sensitivity toward animals' plight.

Just as a review.....Yulin dog festivals where dogs are bludgeoned on the streets, dog fights in Swatow or whereever that place is where loser dog is directly bludgeoned by its owner on the street....both events done out in the open with no police intervention and with people watching and laughing. How is this normal?

How is this related to the Chinese with no vote for their government or China's "island grabbing" in the SCS? Maybe Xi Jingping should focus more on animals cruelty in China than trying to fix the dismal Chinese inability to play soccer.

Here is the case with the NFL player and dog fighting. He was famous (still is) and still severely fined and sat in prison for 18 months. Nothing will happen to this buck tooth Chinese man who beat his fighter dog to death in the clip. That's the difference.

http://aldf.org/resources/laws-cases...-michael-vick/

Last edited by pennyone; 06-15-2015 at 02:47 AM..

Old 06-15-2015, 09:46 AM

3,511 posts, read 1,713,952 times
I don't understand how this is babaric, Americans eat domesticated animals everyday like cows and pigs. I used to have a dog, not saying I would eat dogs but come on. Anyone who eats at any American fast food restaurant on a regular basis or eat fish from a fish farm can't talk.
I might as well say eating cows is the most babaric thing you could ever do, cows are animals to. Seriously what is even wrong with them eating dogs?

Old 06-15-2015, 10:33 AM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,260,993 times
[quote=NigerianNightmare;40026944]I don't understand how this is babaric, Americans eat domesticated animals everyday like cows and pigs. I used to have a dog, not saying I would eat dogs but come on. Anyone who eats at any American fast food restaurant on a regular basis or eat fish from a fish farm can't talk.
I might as well say eating cows is the most babaric thing you could ever do, cows are animals to. Seriously what is even wrong with them eating dogs?[/quote]

It's a cultural thing and yes most Americans will judge people that do eat dogs very harshly that's a fact and look down on them I'm fairly open minded but also do and have no qualm doing so and yes I do view dogs different than other species. It is the only species that if socialized generally prefers humans to it's own species I have two and view them as family members. Based on the portion of your statement that I highlighted you just won't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or