U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-15-2015, 06:48 PM
 
268 posts, read 324,729 times
Reputation: 170

Advertisements

As I mentioned before, I think some people forget that China is, in fact, still a third world country in many aspects. There will be barbaric behavior among a population so large. And the media (especially in the West) will do everything it can to expose the ugly side of a country which is rapidly stealing the lime-light. I think this is natural. You can probably find animal rights issues in other third world counties in Asia if you dig a little bit. But who cares about they are doing? Point is, barbarism can be found in every culture and society and abnormal for one person can be completely normal to another. You don't necessarily have to accept it, but I think it's important to make an effort to understand it first. And I don't pretend to defend such behavior at all, but c'mon, you can't be that shocked or surprised. Any person that has traveled and lived in poorer countries will have seen some deplorable stuff. At least there aren't religious fanatics running around cutting off people's heads every week.

 
Old 06-16-2015, 12:03 AM
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
18,677 posts, read 23,252,262 times
Reputation: 48869
China and some other countries in Asia, are incredibly and excruciatingly brutal in their treatment of animals. They seem to revel in it, and enjoy it.
 
Old 06-16-2015, 12:06 AM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,176,735 times
Reputation: 11619
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
China and some other countries in Asia, are incredibly and excruciatingly brutal in their treatment of animals. They seem to revel in it, and enjoy it.
 
Old 06-16-2015, 12:06 PM
 
4,687 posts, read 3,615,309 times
Reputation: 7382
Whatever respect and understanding that China gained from spending $50 billion on perhaps the most awe inspiring Olympics in 2008....well, completely forgotten as the world now just get ugly images of China as a land of horrific and barbaric traditions. What a waste of money and China wins the gold medal for the most skill at shootingf itself in the foot...bravo, China!

Ricky Gervais urges fans to help stop China dog meat trade | Fox News
 
Old 06-16-2015, 12:14 PM
 
4,687 posts, read 3,615,309 times
Reputation: 7382
Quote:
Originally Posted by guawazi View Post
As I mentioned before, I think some people forget that China is, in fact, still a third world country in many aspects. There will be barbaric behavior among a population so large. And the media (especially in the West) will do everything it can to expose the ugly side of a country which is rapidly stealing the lime-light. I think this is natural. You can probably find animal rights issues in other third world counties in Asia if you dig a little bit. But who cares about they are doing? Point is, barbarism can be found in every culture and society and abnormal for one person can be completely normal to another. You don't necessarily have to accept it, but I think it's important to make an effort to understand it first. And I don't pretend to defend such behavior at all, but c'mon, you can't be that shocked or surprised. Any person that has traveled and lived in poorer countries will have seen some deplorable stuff. At least there aren't religious fanatics running around cutting off people's heads every week.

China aspires to something better than being a Third World cesspool. Xi jinping has his "China Dream" and it is a blueprint for the building of a prosperous, developed and civilized nation. How is that consistent with the torture and beating of dogs and cats right out on the streets of rich cities in Guangdong China or Yulin's dog feast?
 
Old 06-16-2015, 12:19 PM
 
6,726 posts, read 6,607,688 times
Reputation: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
China aspires to something better than being a Third World cesspool. Xi jinping has his "China Dream" and it is a blueprint for the building a prosperous, developed and civilized nation. How is that consistent with the torture and beating of dogs and cats right out on the streets of rich cities in Guangdong China or Yulin's dog feast?
99% Chinese cities do not have news like that, but the media select extreme stories to report either to push some agenda or to make profits. If you ask random people in Beijing, most if not all will oppose such cruelty to animals, but the media will never do such surveys because nobody is interested in hearing "Chinese people care about animal welfare".

I can find some weird news from Florida or Texas every week too, but I won't say the US is all like that.
 
Old 06-16-2015, 02:12 PM
 
4,687 posts, read 3,615,309 times
Reputation: 7382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
99% Chinese cities do not have news like that, but the media select extreme stories to report either to push some agenda or to make profits. If you ask random people in Beijing, most if not all will oppose such cruelty to animals, but the media will never do such surveys because nobody is interested in hearing "Chinese people care about animal welfare".

I can find some weird news from Florida or Texas every week too, but I won't say the US is all like that.
That's absoluetly BS. Most Chinese are ambivalent because they simply do not associate animals' lives with any sort of importance. Plenty of Chinese still believe that animals do not feel pain, and that elephants shed their tusks like humans do with hair. A century after Dr Sun Yet Sen, Lu Xun and other progressive thinkers' hopes and dreams for a modern and advanced China, much of the country is still mired in backward superstition, disgusting traditions and third world poverty. The beating of the dog to death happened in Swatow (Shantou), which is a pretty prosprous city in Guangdong, not some backwater region. People just stood around, watching and giggling, smoking their cigarettes like it's a normal everyday thing for someone to beat a dog to death in China right out on the street. No police, no intervention, just a crowd watching like a stupid mindless mass of brain dead peasants.

Give me a break about 99% Chinese against cruelty. They don't even know what the word means. Pathetic "China Dream".

Last edited by pennyone; 06-16-2015 at 02:31 PM..
 
Old 06-16-2015, 03:58 PM
 
6,726 posts, read 6,607,688 times
Reputation: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
That's absoluetly BS. Most Chinese are ambivalent because they simply do not associate animals' lives with any sort of importance. Plenty of Chinese still believe that animals do not feel pain, and that elephants shed their tusks like humans do with hair. A century after Dr Sun Yet Sen, Lu Xun and other progressive thinkers' hopes and dreams for a modern and advanced China, much of the country is still mired in backward superstition, disgusting traditions and third world poverty. The beating of the dog to death happened in Swatow (Shantou), which is a pretty prosprous city in Guangdong, not some backwater region. People just stood around, watching and giggling, smoking their cigarettes like it's a normal everyday thing for someone to beat a dog to death in China right out on the street. No police, no intervention, just a crowd watching like a stupid mindless mass of brain dead peasants.

Give me a break about 99% Chinese against cruelty. They don't even know what the word means. Pathetic "China Dream".
Did you do any survey? And you claim "most Chinese are ambivalent"?
Your last paragraph twisted my words too.

If you can read Chinese, you can find a lot of discussions in Chinese forums. Although some Chinese support eating dog meat, few if any advocate cruelty to dogs or other animals.
Maybe you met some ignorant Chinese, depending on your circle of friends. I can also say none of my friends is that ignorant. So don't use your personal experience to replace the big picture.

Guangdong does not represent the whole China either. In fact it is one of the "strangest" provinces in China in terms of culture. Just ask any Chinese person and he will tell you that.
 
Old 06-16-2015, 05:44 PM
 
4,687 posts, read 3,615,309 times
Reputation: 7382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Did you do any survey? And you claim "most Chinese are ambivalent"?
Your last paragraph twisted my words too.

If you can read Chinese, you can find a lot of discussions in Chinese forums. Although some Chinese support eating dog meat, few if any advocate cruelty to dogs or other animals.
Maybe you met some ignorant Chinese, depending on your circle of friends. I can also say none of my friends is that ignorant. So don't use your personal experience to replace the big picture.

Guangdong does not represent the whole China either. In fact it is one of the "strangest" provinces in China in terms of culture. Just ask any Chinese person and he will tell you that.
You say, she says he says....whatever.

You may have some Chinese friends who are civilized, but the fact that China has these festivals and these eating habits and gruelsome traditions do absolutely nothing to further the image of China as a modern and civilized nation. In fact, they ruin China's reputation. Like I said before, just one Yulin festival destroys all the good PR that the Beijing Olympics ever did for China. Take a look at the video I posted above. How stupid of the Chinese that they do not rein in their ugly habits. Now everyone equates China with 10 million dogs and cats slaughtered a year as food, and nobody knows or remembers or cares what the "Bird Nest" is or looks like.

So much for all the money and energy spent on "One World One Dream" Beijing Olympics. It's replaced by the image of a buck tooth ugly Chinese bludgeoning a dog to death on a city street. This is the image of your "Big Picture New China"!
 
Old 06-16-2015, 06:11 PM
 
4,687 posts, read 3,615,309 times
Reputation: 7382
Here's another article, followed by the gruelsome video at the end.

You may blame the "bad" western media for portraying China in a poor light, but the fact is that the Chinese people, like the ones who steal pets for the dog meat trade, the people who stand by and watch the killing as entertainment, the ones who relish in the dog meat stew and the government officials who do nothing to stop this, are the ones who are ruining China's image around the world. China just shoot itself in the foot all the time.

There is a huge international campaign going on, led by the Humane Society Internationale, that will broadcast this gruesome festival and dog eating tradition in China for the whole world to see. Every Chinese walking around outside of China will be associated with this gruesome, barbaric and disgusting tradition. For a culture that cares so much about face (Lian), I frankly don't know how its people can survive the shame and the humiliation. The more publicity the better.

Ricky Gervais slams 'horrible' China dog meat festival, saying it 'breaks my heart' to see animals suffer - Mirror Online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top