U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-16-2015, 06:20 PM
 
6,725 posts, read 6,601,290 times
Reputation: 2386

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
You say, she says he says....whatever.

You may have some Chinese friends who are civilized, but the fact that China has these festivals and these eating habits and gruelsome traditions do absolutely nothing to further the image of China as a modern and civilized nation. In fact, they ruin China's reputation. Like I said before, just one Yulin festival destroys all the good PR that the Beijing Olympics ever did for China. Take a look at the video I posted above. How stupid of the Chinese that they do not rein in their ugly habits. Now everyone equates China with 10 million dogs and cats slaughtered a year as food, and nobody knows or remembers or cares what the "Bird Nest" is or looks like.

So much for all the money and energy spent on "One World One Dream" Beijing Olympics. It's replaced by the image of a buck tooth ugly Chinese bludgeoning a dog to death on a city street. This is the image of your "Big Picture New China"!
I was born in Sichuan, a poor province even by Chinese standard. However I have never seen ANY person in my family or neighborhood eat dog meat, not even once. Not to mention making dogs fight for fun or gambling. I have never seen dog meat in any market there either.

When you claim Chinese blah blah blah, you are over-generalizing and people will be misled if they are not familiar with China.

 
Old 06-16-2015, 07:19 PM
 
1,099 posts, read 1,668,250 times
Reputation: 971
I don't know where the OP gets her surveys and statistics. Not sure why facts have to be twisted when forums, captions say that other Chinese were similarly outraged by animal cruelty, she posts here that it is "normal." The new normal in China's large cities is like this:
Top dog: China's newfound passion for pets is big business | Reuters

What does a Shanghai bank employee who spends 20% of her salary on her pet dog have anything to do with a dog eater in Guangxi or a dog beater in Guangdong? This is like complaining about redneck behavior of the Alabama hillbillies to a student in Boston. There's no such thing as lobbying or writing to Congress in China. If you want new laws in China, you talk to the Communist Party members, not label all the rest of the nation as barbaric. After all, it was also the CCP who once labeled pet owners as bourgeois and discouraged pet dogs.
 
Old 06-16-2015, 07:27 PM
 
4,683 posts, read 3,610,867 times
Reputation: 7381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I was born in Sichuan, a poor province even by Chinese standard. However I have never seen ANY person in my family or neighborhood eat dog meat, not even once. Not to mention making dogs fight for fun or gambling. I have never seen dog meat in any market there either.

When you claim Chinese blah blah blah, you are over-generalizing and people will be misled if they are not familiar with China.

Clearly, Yulin and other places in China have lots of gruesome dog killing festivals. This is a fact. Who cares about Sichuan or your experience? At this point, China is associated with Yulin and other barbaric places. They are China. If you are so worried about people getting a misconception about China, maybe you should get together with other Chinese inside and outside of China and try to stop these horrific festivals from happening instead of trying to defend them with lame excuses. They are barbaric and uncivilized, and they are Chinese, period.

You and all Chinese are now associated with these gruesome images of dog killing. Nobody remembers how beautiful the Beijing Olympis was. Seriously, nobody does. What the world sees is China and these scenes of dogs getting killed with incredible brutality. Just look at those pictures in the link I provided. Are you proud of the "New China"? Who can you blame but the Chinese people themselves.

I am posting the links and videos in as many forums as I can. All Chinese should be ashamed of all this, just like they should be ashamed of that little 8 year old girls who was hit multiple times by vehicles and lying there dying on the streets and nobody even bothered to do anything to help her. If the Chinese people don't even care about a little girl dying on the street, I guess they won't find the bludgeoning of a dog right on the street all that bad. Same callous and uncivilized cultural manifestation.
 
Old 06-16-2015, 07:36 PM
 
4,683 posts, read 3,610,867 times
Reputation: 7381
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
I don't know where the OP gets her surveys and statistics. Not sure why facts have to be twisted when forums, captions say that other Chinese were similarly outraged by animal cruelty, she posts here that it is "normal." The new normal in China's large cities is like this:
Top dog: China's newfound passion for pets is big business | Reuters

What does a Shanghai bank employee who spends 20% of her salary on her pet dog have anything to do with a dog eater in Guangxi or a dog beater in Guangdong? This is like complaining about redneck behavior of the Alabama hillbillies to a student in Boston. There's no such thing as lobbying or writing to Congress in China. If you want new laws in China, you talk to the Communist Party members, not label all the rest of the nation as barbaric. After all, it was also the CCP who once labeled pet owners as bourgeois and discouraged pet dogs.
So what? For one article like that one, you have 200 gruesome videos of dogs bludgeoned to death for food in China. Which narrative do you think is going to win? So long as Yulin's festival and other festivals like it exist, China's reputation will be pelted with crap. It's no one's fault but the Chinese themselves.
 
Old 06-16-2015, 07:46 PM
 
1,099 posts, read 1,668,250 times
Reputation: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
So what? For one article like that one, you have 200 gruesome videos of dogs bludgeoned to death for food in China. Which narrative do you think is going to win? So long as Yulin's festival and other festivals like it exist, China's reputation will be pelted with crap. It's no one's fault but the Chinese themselves.
Do you actually have 200 gruesome videos? Because there are millions of photos and videos of Chinese pet dogs. I'm not one who defends China's reputation at all, but I have to fair, and it shows in your post that there's some problems with your intentions here. So what good to all dogs does it do if you call someone in Beijing and Shanghai barbaric for the actions of those in Yulin?
 
Old 06-16-2015, 08:08 PM
 
4,683 posts, read 3,610,867 times
Reputation: 7381
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Do you actually have 200 gruesome videos? Because there are millions of photos and videos of Chinese pet dogs. I'm not one who defends China's reputation at all, but I have to fair, and it shows in your post that there's some problems with your intentions here. So what good to all dogs does it do if you call someone in Beijing and Shanghai barbaric for the actions of those in Yulin?
I promise you that nobody outside of China is familiar with cute pet dog pictures from China. All they see are the videos and footage from major media sources about Yulin. That's a fact. Whether it's fair or not, the fact is that Yulin exists and the Chinese are allowing it to exist.

It is not enough for someone from Guangzhou or Beijing or even Sichuan to just say..."I have never...nor have my family ever..." Lame excuses are cheap. The fact is that because Yulin's festival exists, that becomes China, whether you like it or not. Maybe those people from Beijing and Shanghai should insist that their representatives in the NPC pass an anti-cruelty law. Shutting that festival down would be a good start too. Otherwise, all Chinese will be associated with Yulin.
 
Old 06-16-2015, 08:15 PM
 
1,099 posts, read 1,668,250 times
Reputation: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
I promise you that nobody outside of China is familiar with cute pet dog pictures from China. All they see are the videos and footage from major media sources about Yulin. That's a fact. Whether it's fair or not, the fact is that Yulin exists and the Chinese are allowing it to exist.

It is not enough for someone from Guangzhou or Beijing or even Sichuan to just say..."I have never...nor have my family ever..." Lame excuses are cheap. The fact is that because Yulin's festival exists, that becomes China, whether you like it or not. Maybe those people from Beijing and Shanghai should insist that their representatives in the NPC pass an anti-cruelty law. Shutting that festival down would be a good start too. Otherwise, all Chinese will be associated with Yulin.
As I said earlier, the government in the People's Republic of China does not work that way.
 
Old 06-16-2015, 09:57 PM
 
6,725 posts, read 6,601,290 times
Reputation: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
I promise you that nobody outside of China is familiar with cute pet dog pictures from China. All they see are the videos and footage from major media sources about Yulin. That's a fact. Whether it's fair or not, the fact is that Yulin exists and the Chinese are allowing it to exist.

It is not enough for someone from Guangzhou or Beijing or even Sichuan to just say..."I have never...nor have my family ever..." Lame excuses are cheap. The fact is that because Yulin's festival exists, that becomes China, whether you like it or not. Maybe those people from Beijing and Shanghai should insist that their representatives in the NPC pass an anti-cruelty law. Shutting that festival down would be a good start too. Otherwise, all Chinese will be associated with Yulin.
So you ignore the fact the vast majority of Chinese people do not abuse dogs, and many activists in China are working hard to improve animal welfare (no matter they are widely supported or not), but keep reporting some behaviors that are criticized in China too. What's the point then? To push people in China against you?
 
Old 06-16-2015, 11:15 PM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,779 posts, read 13,351,665 times
Reputation: 11309
I don't think that the dog festivals are the first things that pop into the minds of people when they think of China.

The government system doesn't have a mechanism like western nations do which allow citizens to directly petition their representatives, who are assigned by the state to represent the people in that area, but may be from another region altogether... even if they are natives of that area, they are more concerned with the party line than anything else, and may have divergent interests from the people altogether (think of the anticorruption trials).

You have china boosters, people who are somewhat down on china, people who live there or have lived there etc saying its not as pervasive a problem as you're being led to believe it is by activists... that spread should tell you something. Most Chinese people find it backwards and revolting. Millions more Chinese people own dogs than eat them. Dog thieves have been caught and beaten within an inch of death by owners. That also should tell you something...
 
Old 06-17-2015, 03:04 AM
 
4,683 posts, read 3,610,867 times
Reputation: 7381
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I don't think that the dog festivals are the first things that pop into the minds of people when they think of China.

The government system doesn't have a mechanism like western nations do which allow citizens to directly petition their representatives, who are assigned by the state to represent the people in that area, but may be from another region altogether... even if they are natives of that area, they are more concerned with the party line than anything else, and may have divergent interests from the people altogether (think of the anticorruption trials).

You have china boosters, people who are somewhat down on china, people who live there or have lived there etc saying its not as pervasive a problem as you're being led to believe it is by activists... that spread should tell you something. Most Chinese people find it backwards and revolting. Millions more Chinese people own dogs than eat them. Dog thieves have been caught and beaten within an inch of death by owners. That also should tell you something...
I have no idea what you're talking about. Yulin does exist and the festival is going on right now. It is not a figment of some activist's imagination. I have never heard of dog thieves being beaten. I have read plenty of dog merchants torturing dogs right in front of anti-dog meat activists trying to get them to buy the dogs at huge premium so that they can make money.

The only way to make China's government to take action and make change is to shame them into losing face. Like I said before, the image of Chinese bludgeoning a dog to death is the main narrative, no matter what the "truth" is. This all starts with Yulin and its barbaric cultural habit so don't blame the western media for this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top