Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 11:01 AM

5,772 posts, read 5,065,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmun View Post
Actually killing any animals is barbaric enough, because they feel pain and have sensories just like humans. Studies show they have full range of emotions and feelings too. Just we don't feel it and we think they don't have these. Have you ever been to a slaughterhouse? Have you ever watched how a cow or a pig is killed there? You shouldn't eat lobsters in a restaurant too. Lobster activists will think are a very cruel human being. I hope you are a vegetarian. Otherwise, you are a hypocrite.
It's not right to say eating this is fine when it's one's culture. The way the Chinese kill animals is absolutely atrocious, and I am generally a China supporter. Cruelty and total callous attitude toward living things are two very bad cultural habits of the Chinese. Save me the PC crap about other cultures. We are humans and we are supposed to be evolved enough to kill humanely, not desire to incur severe pain so that the meat will have great "heat" and "flavor". That is simple barbarism, which, in China's 5000 years of history, it seems unable to shed. China can be so advanced and yet so primitive that it's just stunning.

As for common education about science in China, you would find it amazing that so many still follow and believe in traditional medicine, which is completely unproven and actually do not work. Apparently all those required science courses in the Chinese educational system are total failures, given how many ignorant people there still are in China today.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:21 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,648,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post

Remember, India holds the cow sacred, yet we consume them at fast food restaurants. Wouldn't we be considered barbaric as well?
Hope more Americans can think like you before passing habitual judgements on practices in other countries with different customs.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Hope more Americans can think like you before passing habitual judgements on practices in other countries with different customs.
China has many ugly cultural habits, and you know it. Pointing out these ugly habits is the only way China can get better because it is a closed society and its people prefer to wallow in their own complacent ignorance.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:41 PM

510 posts, read 606,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Remember, India holds the cow sacred, yet we consume them at fast food restaurants. Wouldn't we be considered barbaric as well?
And pigs are, by most measures, more gentle and intelligent than dogs, yet we treat them just as bad, if not worse in the USA, than dogs are treated in China.

It seems to me to be entirely subjective to single out how one culture treats one animal you happen to like while ignoring how your own culture treats animals that you do not have any particular affinity for.

Granted the US technically probably has more laws than China regarding humane treatment of animals, but they are generally weak and constantly being weakened (if not just downright ignored) by the food industry.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:26 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,099,143 times
I would swap all the Chinese for all the Rhinos, Dogs, cats, and elephants. Mind you I wouldn't eat a Chinese

Old 06-03-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
And pigs are, by most measures, more gentle and intelligent than dogs, yet we treat them just as bad, if not worse in the USA, than dogs are treated in China.

It seems to me to be entirely subjective to single out how one culture treats one animal you happen to like while ignoring how your own culture treats animals that you do not have any particular affinity for.

Granted the US technically probably has more laws than China regarding humane treatment of animals, but they are generally weak and constantly being weakened (if not just downright ignored) by the food industry.
This is not true. In the US, the campaign to eliminate sow crates for birthing piglets are already in place in many states. There are anti-cruelty laws being applied to domestic animals such as pigs, cows and chickens. There is a huge movement for free range chickens and many farms are switching to open air chicken containment areas instead of small wired crates. China's domestic animals are even more miserable than the dogs and cats. You do not know what you are talking about.

Of course given the way Chinese peasants are cruelly treated by their political superiors for centuries, it's no wonder they have no compassion for animals. It's like an abused kid growing up to be a wife beater or a serial killer, except for a whole miserable country. Probably the worse curse in the world is to wish that someone die and to reincarnate as an animal in China....

Old 06-03-2015, 06:59 PM

7,644 posts, read 6,426,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Every year we go through this. China's cultural barbarism on display. Just disgusting. Will it take a massive disease outbreak from dirty dog meat to make these Chinese stop eating dogs? What's with this addiction to dogs and cats?

I hear some Chinese believe dog meat guards against ghosts!!!????? And China wants to be a 21 century superpower? Right...

China's annual dog meat festival under growing pressure as 200,000 sign petition - Telegraph
How dare you criticize the PRC!

Old 06-03-2015, 07:30 PM

17,876 posts, read 15,773,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
It's not right to say eating this is fine when it's one's culture. The way the Chinese kill animals is absolutely atrocious, and I am generally a China supporter. Cruelty and total callous attitude toward living things are two very bad cultural habits of the Chinese. Save me the PC crap about other cultures. We are humans and we are supposed to be evolved enough to kill humanely, not desire to incur severe pain so that the meat will have great "heat" and "flavor". That is simple barbarism, which, in China's 5000 years of history, it seems unable to shed. China can be so advanced and yet so primitive that it's just stunning.

As for common education about science in China, you would find it amazing that so many still follow and believe in traditional medicine, which is completely unproven and actually do not work. Apparently all those required science courses in the Chinese educational system are total failures, given how many ignorant people there still are in China today.
Have you ever been to Western slaughterhouses then? It is not all rosey there either.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:32 PM

127 posts, read 108,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Most Chinese have never owned a dog or cat, so they don't really have any attachment to them. In my whole extended family, both father and mother sides, only one relative had a dog. This is very different from western countries. But most Chinese have never eaten dog meat either. Even those who do eat dog meat only do that occasionally.

I just hope it can be outlawed because literally, meat without quarantine inspection is not allowed to sell.

I've never heard dog meat guards against ghost either. The common saying is dog meat is "warm" and is good for some "cold" body.
Agree. Dog meat is very rare in China. I don't know why people make a big fuss out of it. When I traveled in China to many cities and towns, I never saw any restaurant selling dog meats. China has thousands and thousands of local customs and festivals. This one is one of them. Most Chinese actually are quite intrigued about this too. Why people want it to be banned? Do they want every local customs and cultures to be alike? That will be very boring. We need diversity. You just don't want to travel to another country in which everything is exactly the replicate of your own country.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:59 PM

9,240 posts, read 9,697,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmun View Post
Agree. Dog meat is very rare in China. I don't know why people make a big fuss out of it. When I traveled in China to many cities and towns, I never saw any restaurant selling dog meats. China has thousands and thousands of local customs and festivals. This one is one of them. Most Chinese actually are quite intrigued about this too. Why people want it to be banned? Do they want every local customs and cultures to be alike? That will be very boring. We need diversity. You just don't want to travel to another country in which everything is exactly the replicate of your own country.
People of Abrahamic religions always want to convert other people. In fact, it is required in the doctrines.
"Democracy" is an extension of that.

It's not necessarily bad, but a tradition to notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia