U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 02:47 PM

4,710 posts, read 3,627,252 times

Advertisements

Every year we go through this. China's cultural barbarism on display. Just disgusting. Will it take a massive disease outbreak from dirty dog meat to make these Chinese stop eating dogs? What's with this addiction to dogs and cats?

I hear some Chinese believe dog meat guards against ghosts!!!????? And China wants to be a 21 century superpower? Right...

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-21-2015 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: soliciting

Old 06-02-2015, 03:01 PM

1,279 posts, read 2,120,363 times
Killing companion animals is very disturbing to me, especially the cruel, tortuous ways that they do it. I hope the growing number of animal lovers over there will eventually shut them down.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:27 PM

6,730 posts, read 6,621,256 times
Most Chinese have never owned a dog or cat, so they don't really have any attachment to them. In my whole extended family, both father and mother sides, only one relative had a dog. This is very different from western countries. But most Chinese have never eaten dog meat either. Even those who do eat dog meat only do that occasionally.

I just hope it can be outlawed because literally, meat without quarantine inspection is not allowed to sell.

I've never heard dog meat guards against ghost either. The common saying is dog meat is "warm" and is good for some "cold" body.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:22 AM

349 posts, read 342,752 times
It is very disturbing. Mostly the cruelty/torture more than just being dogs and cats.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:05 AM

4,710 posts, read 3,627,252 times
All part of the Traditional Medicine BS that's not only bringing cruel treatment to dogs and cats before they are slaughtered, but driving wild animals into extinction like rhinos and the like.

The Chinese are by nature a cruel and cold race. That's the one thing I absolutely find repulsive about the Chinese people. The government is much more enlightened, but faced with a cultural habit backed up by hundreds of millions of ignorant bumpkins, what can you do but pick your fight wisely?

This is why I personally have much less problem with Chinese authorianism for China simply because it's the only way to govern a huge and still ignorant population. Even the most educated and tech savvy ones are often pretty prudish, insular and conservative. So many people in China still think that elephant ivory are harvested without hurting the elephants. It gets really that stupid.

I had a grad student friend from China who believed that a baby was born from a woman's arm pit, and that eating dog bladder could ward off evil and cure insomnia. He was a graduate student from Nanjing University, no less!

Old 06-03-2015, 08:24 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,286,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeeks View Post
It is very disturbing. Mostly the cruelty/torture more than just being dogs and cats.
I agree with this.

It is not about dogs or cats, which is a cultural thing you can't force on other countries, but rather, civilized society should never conduct cruelty on any animal.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with eating dogs as long as it is done mercifully, just like with beef/lamb/pig etc. The Muslims consider eating pigs wrong, should the entire world give up on eating pigs?

Old 06-03-2015, 08:59 AM

6,730 posts, read 6,621,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post

I had a grad student friend from China who believed that a baby was born from a woman's arm pit, and that eating dog bladder could ward off evil and cure insomnia. He was a graduate student from Nanjing University, no less!
I'm 100% sure he was just joking, or you misunderstood something (he was just quoting the legend, for example). A physiology class is required at 9th grade in China, and a zoology class at 8th grade. One has to pass a province-monitored exam to graduate. Biology is also required in high school.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:44 AM

117 posts, read 64,469 times
Quote:
All part of the Traditional Medicine BS that's not only bringing cruel treatment to dogs and cats before they are slaughtered, but driving wild animals into extinction like rhinos and the like.

The Chinese are by nature a cruel and cold race. That's the one thing I absolutely find repulsive about the Chinese people. The government is much more enlightened, but faced with a cultural habit backed up by hundreds of millions of ignorant bumpkins, what can you do but pick your fight wisely?

This is why I personally have much less problem with Chinese authorianism for China simply because it's the only way to govern a huge and still ignorant population. Even the most educated and tech savvy ones are often pretty prudish, insular and conservative. So many people in China still think that elephant ivory are harvested without hurting the elephants. It gets really that stupid.

It is a cultural thing. In India, people do not eat beef. From India's viewpoints, eating cows is extremely barbaric.

I don't think it is Chinese's fault. It is rather the human population growing by leap and bounce. Maybe humans should reproduce less. Reproducing more will be encroaching on other animals' living space and destroy their ecology, which cause them to extinct. Africa lions, tigers, elephants, hippos and others are on the verge of massive extinction now because human population is too big and take lands away from them. A lot of fish species in the ocean are facing massive extinction too because of overfishing to feed humans. The replenish rate now is so low. If we don't stop overfishing, all the ocean resources will be drained in couple decades. The whole ocean will be dead.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:01 AM

15,739 posts, read 9,270,692 times
I personally find the practice disgusting, but I would never consider another culture's customs, in place for centuries, barbaric.

Remember, India holds the cow sacred, yet we consume them at fast food restaurants. Wouldn't we be considered barbaric as well?

Old 06-03-2015, 10:13 AM

117 posts, read 64,469 times
Quote:

Actually killing any animals is barbaric enough, because they feel pain and have sensories just like humans. Studies show they have full range of emotions and feelings too. Just we don't feel it and we think they don't have these. Have you ever been to a slaughterhouse? Have you ever watched how a cow or a pig is killed there? You shouldn't eat lobsters in a restaurant too. Lobster activists will think are a very cruel human being. I hope you are a vegetarian. Otherwise, you are a hypocrite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or