Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 09:49 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times

Advertisements

New Delhi's air is reportedly twice as polluted as Beijing. The terrible air quality, coupled with a breakdown in sanitary facilities, have become so life-threatening that westerners are leaving now in droves, says this reporter, whose family were traumatized living there.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/31/op...-in-india.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 10:32 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,536,326 times
Yeah, it's pretty bad but not really surprising. I had a layer of soot on my face and especially in my nose from just a couple of hours outside in Chandni Chowk. Granted, that was summer, but it must be difficult to stay there full-time if you are a transplant.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:35 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Ew.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:42 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
We lived in Jakarta.
My little brother had horrible asthma.
We moved to LA. His asthma continued.
Moved to Texas and he has been problem-free for decades.

This stuff matters.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:35 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
No suprise, seems to get worse after the monsoon season's when the rains aren't available to "wash the air" out. Then that burnt orange dust and dirt just seem to blow in, dust from the Gobi, etc.
And those polluted rivers - I read in an English speaking Indian paper that people were getting sick just living next to the rivers, not bathing or drinking the water, just breathing the fumes from it.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:27 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,107,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
New Delhi's air is reportedly twice as polluted as Beijing. The terrible air quality, coupled with a breakdown in sanitary facilities, have become so life-threatening that westerners are leaving now in droves, says this reporter, whose family were traumatized living there.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/31/op...-in-india.html
Yeah, but India is a democracy!!!! And that alone makes it a shining example for the whole world!!!!! Who cares if everyone poop out in the open and die from black lungs?!

What's even more worse for the Indians, is that, given such huge and crippling environmental damage, India's economic development, social indexes and general living standard and size of the GDP are still so miserable and paltry (only about 1/8 of China's total gdp). Such huge cost and so very little to show for it. You got to love Indian democracy at its best.

Last edited by pennyone; 05-31-2015 at 09:37 AM..

Old 05-31-2015, 09:50 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Yeah, but India is a democracy!!!! And that alone makes it a shining example for the whole world!!!!! Who cares if everyone poop out in the open and die from black lungs?!

What's even more worse for the Indians, is that, given such huge and crippling environmental damage, India's economic development, social indexes and general living standard and size of the GDP are still so miserable and paltry (only about 1/8 of China's total gdp). Such huge cost and so very little to show for it. You got to love Indian democracy at its best.
You certainly love american democracy. I'm sure PRC Authoratarism will treat you even better.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:08 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
"Democracy is the worst form of government!
Except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time."
-Winston Churchill, 1947

India is simply where China was about ten or fifteen years ago. They get there act together and watch out, the potential is there to be a world class power.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:00 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,107,664 times
I think all talk of BRIC countries taking over the economy, also with Nigeria,Mexico is an absolute joke, all are destroying their history, environment and populace for a quick, dodgy buck. Backhanders galore. The rich from these places are already taking flight. These like most muslim countries ( not Jordan), I would not invest or deal, or holiday in any. Europe beware.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:22 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,536,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
I think all talk of BRIC countries taking over the economy, also with Nigeria,Mexico is an absolute joke, all are destroying their history, environment and populace for a quick, dodgy buck. Backhanders galore. The rich from these places are already taking flight. These like most muslim countries ( not Jordan), I would not invest or deal, or holiday in any. Europe beware.
Ahem. The industrial age doesn't sound familiar to you and this at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia