U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 03:13 AM

6,773 posts, read 5,119,529 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/04/wo...lose.html?_r=0
South Korea MERS outbreak grows as 1,369 in quarantine - CNN.com

Quote:
SEOUL, South Korea — Fears of the deadly virus that causes Middle East respiratory syndrome enveloped South Korea on Wednesday as the authorities nearly doubled the number of quarantined people they say may have been exposed, temporarily closed more than 700 kindergartens and schools and refused to identify the six hospitals where infections had been confirmed.
Kinda surprised that nobody's talking about this, but well very few posters here actually live in Asia so I guess it's not surprising after all.

Obviously the situation is not good in Korea and a Korean guy actually went to Hong Kong(then to China) after being diagnosed with the virus like last week.

Anyway the possibility of MERS spread to the rest of East Asia is about 96%, so...yeah. I hope it won't be as bad as SARS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 05:14 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,271,551 times
I live in Asia, but well .. Nothing very much we can do about this sad situation

Old 06-04-2015, 06:31 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,154,437 times
I used to live in South Korea.

One of the big things I remember there was being routinely COUGHED ON. Many Koreans simply do not turn their heads when they cough. I can very distinctly remember MANY times where I'd be sitting on a bus, and have someone strongly cough on my back of my neck, and even turning around to give them the 'death stare', they were routinely completely unaware of why you were turning around to stare them down.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:36 AM

^Ew that's gross.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:40 AM

4,684 posts, read 3,612,199 times
Koreans are always touting how clean they are compared to the Chinese...well, I guess spitting out in the open and coughing into people's faces have about the same level of rudeness and filth.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:56 AM

15,734 posts, read 9,248,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I used to live in South Korea.

One of the big things I remember there was being routinely COUGHED ON. Many Koreans simply do not turn their heads when they cough. I can very distinctly remember MANY times where I'd be sitting on a bus, and have someone strongly cough on my back of my neck, and even turning around to give them the 'death stare', they were routinely completely unaware of why you were turning around to stare them down.
MERS isn't spread by merely being "coughed on". It's contracted by repeated, enclosed exposure. It's usually a caretaker or medical professional that is caring for a MERS patient that is infected.

I also wouldn't call this "raging". Once identified, it's easily controlled.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
MERS isn't spread by merely being "coughed on". It's contracted by repeated, enclosed exposure. It's usually a caretaker or medical professional that is caring for a MERS patient that is infected.

I also wouldn't call this "raging". Once identified, it's easily controlled.
Idk it seems quite serious already, people are quite freaked out here, probably because the horror of SARS is still haunting us.
Many who planned on travelling to Korea have cancelled their flights, and hospitals are now preparing for the worst.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:52 AM

15,734 posts, read 9,248,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Idk it seems quite serious already, people are quite freaked out here, probably because the horror of SARS is still haunting us.
Many who planned on travelling to Korea have cancelled their flights, and hospitals are now preparing for the worst.
35 confirmed cases in a country of over 50 million. While people are freaking out, it's also not serious by any stretch of the imagination. That's not to say that MERS couldn't mutate, but at the moment it is nowhere near the danger that SARS is. SARS is spread completely differently than MERS, and can become more widespread much more quickly. MERS is very slow moving, and mostly affects people that have prolonged contact with the infected.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
35 confirmed cases in a country of over 50 million. While people are freaking out, it's also not serious by any stretch of the imagination. That's not to say that MERS couldn't mutate, but at the moment it is nowhere near the danger that SARS is. SARS is spread completely differently than MERS, and can become more widespread much more quickly. MERS is very slow moving, and mostly affects people that have prolonged contact with the infected.
Well I guess it's always better to be cautious than to regret.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:37 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,154,437 times
...and a news story from inside Korea about the MERS-infected DOCTOR who refused to be quarantied, and went to many medical-related events exposing MERS to thousands of more people...

MERS-infected doctor contacted over 1,000 people: gov't - The Korea Observer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia