U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 11:54 AM

349 posts, read 341,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I can't imagine it anywhere in Northeast Asia - ESPECIALLY not South Korea.

If it has any chance, it'll be Southeast Asia - Philippines or Thailand...and even those, it's hard to imagine. But at least in Phils & Thailand, you actually visibly see people all the time who are feel comfortable enough to be gay in public.
I'm not as familiar with South Korea, but it's half non-religious, and getting more liberal.

In Japan homosexuality isn't that open or approved of, but there isn't as much violent homophobia or opposition there (part due to Judaeo-Christian legacy) as in Muslim and some Christian nations. But yes, it's still not out in the open.

Are you familiar with Taiwan? Taipei had the first Pride Parade in Asia, and it has a pretty open LGBTI community. It's surprising the number of ***** folk from Taiwan I've met/seen here.

I somehow feel Thailand's reputation is a bit overrated...I mean no, it's not homophobic, and krathooeys are open, but they don't represent the norm: mostly what you see in Bangkok, Pattaya.etc. Most rural Thais probably care more about surviving than things like marriage equality. I just don't see it as a huge priority for Thailand, but I don't see it as having a huge opposition.

In Asia it's more about family.etc than morality or sin.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:58 AM

6,776 posts, read 5,126,284 times
Quote:
Yeah, structurally, the Catholic Church is too strong in the Philippines. I mean, they won't even allow DIVORCE!

But, among the people, gays are extremely widely-accepted, as are gay male TEEN beauty pageants, and everything else that would absolutely shock the most liberal of westerners. Thailand as well, for that matter.

I can't imagine Nepal? Than again, it was 20 years ago that I was there. But, it felt very rural and conservative and everything else. I've heard it has been changing a lot in Kathmandu over the last 20 years, but I can't imagine it changing that much.
Well 20 years ago, even the Netherlands hasn't legalised gay marriage, I guess it's fair that they were rural and conservative back then.
Idk how the earthquake might affect the process though, considering how poor Nepal is.

In Taiwan(and I'd imagine in Japan and China as well) no one really cares if you're gay as long as it's not their own kids, the only difference is that people openly talk about SSM here all the time, like really, all the time, and the oppositions are usually seen as idiots(church groups and old farts et cetera).

The possibility of DPP winning the next election next year is high and they are generally in favor of legalising it, so that gives people some hope. However I'm still pretty pessimistic as all talk no action is typical Taiwanese style, unfortunately.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Well 20 years ago, even the Netherlands hasn't legalised gay marriage, I guess it's fair that they were rural and conservative back then.
Idk how the earthquake might affect the process though, considering how poor Nepal is.

In Taiwan(and I'd imagine in Japan and China as well) no one really cares if you're gay as long as it's not their own kids, the only difference is that people openly talk about SSM here all the time, like really, all the time, and the oppositions are usually seen as idiots(church groups and old farts et cetera).

The possibility of DPP winning the next election next year is high and they are generally in favor of legalising it, so that gives people some hope. However I'm still pretty pessimistic as all talk no action is typical Taiwanese style, unfortunately.
I don't think SSM is much of a priority in a place like Nepal, where basic infrastructural/survival is more of a focus. While I don't oppose SSM, sometimes I feel they make too big a deal over it. There are bigger issues imo.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:12 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,268,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I find that interesting I've seen some ads with Japanese male models and there seems to be a preference for more feminine soft features a drastic difference from what you see in the USA.
what does it have anything to do with homosexuality?
Men with more feminine soft features are not necessarily gay. Who says straight men have to look in a certain way?

On the contrary, I think American men live under constant fear of being thought to be gay/not masculine enough so they make every efforts to appear less feminine. For example, a guy should like football/baseball, instead of figure skating or dancing, a guy should wear baggy clothes (often two sized too big) instead of more fit ones, a guy should drink beer instead of cocktails. A guy shouldn't care too much about grooming and skincare, and wearing a scarf is equivalent to being gay. Europeans, Asians on the other hand are more free to do whatever they like. They can dye their hair or wear skinny jeans without constant feeling judged for not being masculine enough.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:16 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,175,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeeks View Post
I'm not as familiar with South Korea, but it's half non-religious, and getting more liberal.

In Japan homosexuality isn't that open or approved of, but there isn't as much violent homophobia or opposition there (part due to Judaeo-Christian legacy) as in Muslim and some Christian nations. But yes, it's still not out in the open.

Are you familiar with Taiwan? Taipei had the first Pride Parade in Asia, and it has a pretty open LGBTI community. It's surprising the number of ***** folk from Taiwan I've met/seen here.

I somehow feel Thailand's reputation is a bit overrated...I mean no, it's not homophobic, and krathooeys are open, but they don't represent the norm: mostly what you see in Bangkok, Pattaya.etc. Most rural Thais probably care more about surviving than things like marriage equality. I just don't see it as a huge priority for Thailand, but I don't see it as having a huge opposition.

In Asia it's more about family.etc than morality or sin.
I'm not too familiar with Taiwan. But I don't see much of it at all in Macau or Hong Kong. I would assume Taiwan would be similar, maybe not.

Yeah, NOWHERE in Asia are they really potentially 'gay bashing' like people coming at from christian or muslim faiths.

South Korea. It's not the religion that would hold it back. It's that Koreans are just really really....NOT that open. They have so many extremely conservative ideas. Ideas like 'Korean's don't have AIDS - only foreigners get AIDS.' 'Koreans can't be gay' etc. Ah, I lived there for most of the years between 1996-2008...it MIGHT be changing. But I can't imagine it so much.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Men with more feminine soft features are not necessarily gay. Who says straight men have to look in a certain way?

On the contrary, I think American men live under constant fear of being thought to be gay/not masculine enough so they make every efforts to appear less feminine. For example, a guy should like football/baseball, instead of figure skating or dancing, a guy should wear baggy clothes (often two sized too big) instead of more fit ones, a guy should drink beer instead of cocktails. A guy shouldn't care too much about grooming and skincare, and wearing a scarf is equivalent to being gay. Europeans, Asians on the other hand are more free to do whatever they like. They can dye their hair or wear skinny jeans without constant feeling be judged for not being masculine enough.
Yes, it's ridiculous...I've noticed many K-pop stars go for a more 'androgynous look', but in Europe and Asia men are more fashionable than the US.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post

Netherlands. I visited there in 1996-1997, and I just remember seeing gay men only holding hands and kissing in public. So, I'm sure they had a very open tradition well-before they passed that law.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

On the contrary, I think American men live under constant fear of being thought to be gay/not masculine enough so they make every efforts to appear less feminine. For example, a guy should like football/baseball, instead of figure skating or dancing, a guy should wear baggy clothes (often two sized too big) instead of more fit ones, a guy should drink beer instead of cocktails. A guy shouldn't care too much about grooming and skincare, and wearing a scarf is equivalent to being gay. Europeans, Asians on the other hand are more free to do whatever they like. They can dye their hair or wear skinny jeans without constant feeling be judged for not being masculine enough.
That's very true. That goes to every aspect. Beach-wear in particular. An American guy MUST wear long surfer like pants, otherwise it's questionable. Yeah, it goes to crazy levels in the U.S.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:25 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,268,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeeks View Post
Yes, it's ridiculous...I've noticed many K-pop stars go for a more 'androgynous look', but in Europe and Asia men are more fashionable than the US.
Because American stereotype thinks fashion is a women/gay thing. Men should simply wear oversized clothes in blue, black or grey, drink beer, watch baseball games in a bar and look at women in a disrespectful way. Anything more sophisticated is a bit too gay.

Quote:
That's very true. That goes to every aspect. Beach-wear in particular. An American guy MUST wear long surfer like pants, otherwise it's questionable. Yeah, it goes to crazy levels in the U.S.
wearing knee length swim shorts is the most disgusting customs in Canada/US. A further piece of evidence of American men's insecurity about their sexuality. In fact, such swimwear should be banned (France bans it).

Old 06-05-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Despite being supposedly so progressive there is a lot of internalised homophobia in not only the US but say Australia, the UK.etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia