U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 12:29 PM

349 posts, read 341,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Because American stereotype thinks fashion is a women/gay thing. Men should simply wear oversized clothes in blue, black or grey, drink beer, watch baseball games in a bar and look at women in a disrespectful way. Anything more sophisticated is a bit too gay.
Sitcoms don't help. Men are these fat, beer-swilling slobs who sit on the couch...

Obviously nothing innately feminine about fashion or frilly or colourful clothes, or dresses or makeups. In nature it's males who tend to be more 'pretty' lol.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:30 PM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,234,023 times
Quote:
what does it have anything to do with homosexuality?
Men with more feminine soft features are not necessarily gay. Who says straight men have to look in a certain way?

On the contrary, I think American men live under constant fear of being thought to be gay/not masculine enough so they make every efforts to appear less feminine. For example, a guy should like football/baseball, instead of figure skating or dancing, a guy should wear baggy clothes (often two sized too big) instead of more fit ones, a guy should drink beer instead of cocktails. A guy shouldn't care too much about grooming and skincare, and wearing a scarf is equivalent to being gay. Europeans, Asians on the other hand are more free to do whatever they like. They can dye their hair or wear skinny jeans without constant feeling judged for not being masculine enough.
I don't believe that it does either but the culture that I live in largely does. I am aware of feminine appearing men that are straight and some fairly masculine appearing gay men that completely blend in. I have found that what you state to be true as well. I have found myself at times concerned that some clothing wasn't masculine enough even though i liked it I consider myself average appearing as far as masculinity goes. I just find it interesting that Japan is much more comfortable with (feminine) male images but appears to be less accepting of homosexuality.

Last edited by AFP; 06-05-2015 at 06:10 PM..

Old 06-05-2015, 09:15 PM

6,580 posts, read 3,634,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

The Philippines, however, half of their tv feels like they have gay everything. They seem to dominate their TV industry. Thailand has so many ladyboys pretty much all over the place....Philippines as well, and no one even bats an eye there at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Yeah, structurally, the Catholic Church is too strong in the Philippines. I mean, they won't even allow DIVORCE!

But, among the people, gays are extremely widely-accepted, as are gay male TEEN beauty pageants, and everything else that would absolutely shock the most liberal of westerners. Thailand as well, for that matter.

Perhaps but if it wasn't for the Fallen 44 President Aquino may have had enough political capital to push through divorce like he did birth control but is now a lame duck. Perhaps with the next administration and a second push back at the Conference of Bishops with divorce a broken dam will cause a floodgate to open, especially since the rest of the society like many Pacific Islanders is so open to alternative sexuality issues and peoples

Old 06-08-2015, 03:48 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,153,495 times
wearing knee length swim shorts is the most disgusting customs in Canada/US. A further piece of evidence of American men's insecurity about their sexuality. In fact, such swimwear should be banned (France bans it).
Right to the point! I'm French , and I LOVE my speedos. I even was made fun or looked at strangely wearing them on the beach in the US and at Vallarta. I don't care! it's so comfortable swimming in speedos!

Old 06-08-2015, 11:55 AM

21,941 posts, read 27,343,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
wearing knee length swim shorts is the most disgusting customs in Canada/US. A further piece of evidence of American men's insecurity about their sexuality. In fact, such swimwear should be banned (France bans it).
Right to the point! I'm French , and I LOVE my speedos. I even was made fun or looked at strangely wearing them on the beach in the US and at Vallarta. I don't care! it's so comfortable swimming in speedos!
And yet if you look at the trend speedos for me seem to be on the decline in Europe as well.

Go to a Mediterranean beach today in France, Italy, etc. and you do see speedos but a majority of men are not wearing speedos.

Not that I care either way. People can wear whatever they want.

Last edited by Acajack; 06-08-2015 at 12:52 PM..

Old 06-08-2015, 01:51 PM

21,941 posts, read 27,343,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
And yet if you look at the trend speedos for me seem to be on the decline in Europe as well.

Go to a Mediterranean beach today in France, Italy, etc. and you do see speedos but a majority of men are not wearing speedos.

Sorry. Meant speedos for "men" not speedos for "me".

Old 06-09-2015, 07:26 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,258,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

but it is really people wear whatever they want in North America? You mean, all men WANT to wear those long trunks (miraculously, all of them), not out of peer pressure or out of fear of being mocked at all?

European men do wear whatever they want. North Americans, not so much.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:22 AM

6,580 posts, read 3,634,743 times
Quote:
but it is really people wear whatever they want in North America? You mean, all men WANT to wear those long trunks (miraculously, all of them), not out of peer pressure or out of fear of being mocked at all?

European men do wear whatever they want. North Americans, not so much.
Isn't the fear of being mocked when functions are irrelevant the reason for all fashion choices? Why do women volleyball players wear skintight shorts while basketball players wear baggy pants like men have when gangster style took over first college then NBA basketball?

Old 06-21-2015, 01:34 PM

14,730 posts, read 10,622,245 times
Closed for moderator review.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia