Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 06:18 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,825,535 times

Advertisements

Singaporeans are not ready to accept same-sex marriages: PM Lee - Channel NewsAsia

No surprises here ...

Old 06-05-2015, 07:02 AM

349 posts, read 488,289 times
Well they'd have to make homosexuality legal before they start thinking about that...

Singapore might be conservative, but it's probably less than most of Asia. I don't really see SSM happening soon anywhere in Asia, except maybe Taiwan and then Japan, South Korea. Considering it's a minority of less than 10% evangelical Christians in Singapore seem quite active there in terms of opposing this.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:58 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,711,957 times
Just like stuff like democracy, westerners should realize that SSM isn't something all countries eventually will accept as some kind of superior institution. I wholly support SSM where it works well, but let's not pretend it is some sort of universal value.

Many countries have the option of not accepting it, ever. That's not to say gay rights will not advance, just that it does not culminate in same sex marriage.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:25 AM

8,862 posts, read 8,431,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeeks View Post
Well they'd have to make homosexuality legal before they start thinking about that...

Singapore might be conservative, but it's probably less than most of Asia. I don't really see SSM happening soon anywhere in Asia, except maybe Taiwan and then Japan, South Korea. Considering it's a minority of less than 10% evangelical Christians in Singapore seem quite active there in terms of opposing this.
I was like "how can Singapore be less conservative than most of Asia", then I remember how awful Asia is in terms of human rights lol.

Anyway I certainly hope that SSM will be passed here asap. I'm not optimistic, even though I do sense some considerable possibility as the wind is quickly moving towards to the pro side.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-10-2015 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: Against TOS

Old 06-05-2015, 10:58 AM

5,788 posts, read 5,098,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Just like stuff like democracy, westerners should realize that SSM isn't something all countries eventually will accept as some kind of superior institution. I wholly support SSM where it works well, but let's not pretend it is some sort of universal value.

Many countries have the option of not accepting it, ever. That's not to say gay rights will not advance, just that it does not culminate in same sex marriage.
Even China's NPC have considered it in small working groups almost every session. But of course, the delegates always vote it down as "China not ready yet for such a change."

Old 06-05-2015, 11:20 AM

16,256 posts, read 43,155,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeeks View Post

I can't imagine it anywhere in Northeast Asia - ESPECIALLY not South Korea.

If it has any chance, it'll be Southeast Asia - Philippines or Thailand...and even those, it's hard to imagine. But at least in Phils & Thailand, you actually visibly see people all the time who are feel comfortable enough to be gay in public.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:36 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,886,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I can't imagine it anywhere in Northeast Asia - ESPECIALLY not South Korea.

If it has any chance, it'll be Southeast Asia - Philippines or Thailand...and even those, it's hard to imagine. But at least in Phils & Thailand, you actually visibly see people all the time who are feel comfortable enough to be gay in public.

I find that interesting I've seen some ads with Japanese male models and there seems to be a preference for more feminine soft features a drastic difference from what you see in the USA.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I find that interesting I've seen some ads with Japanese male models and there seems to be a preference for more feminine soft features a drastic difference from what you see in the USA.
Yeah, that's true. That's culturally different, for sure.

Japan would have the quickest shot of anywhere in Northeast Asia. South Korea and China are in STRONG DENIAL that their respective countries even have gays. Korea seems to have the strong belief that Korea can't even produce a gay person.

Japan might have value soft-spokenness and cute attributes, but you don't really see many gays at all in Japan.

The Philippines, however, half of their tv feels like they have gay everything. They seem to dominate their TV industry. Thailand has so many ladyboys pretty much all over the place....Philippines as well, and no one even bats an eye there at all.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:40 AM

8,862 posts, read 8,431,105 times
Definitely not Philippines. It's too Catholic, like Vatican City type of Catholic.

Thailand...maybe, but I don't think it's gonna happen either, though it's one of the more gay-friendly countries in Asia.

Nepal seems like the best best tbqh, then Taiwan.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Definitely not Philippines. It's too Catholic, like Vatican City type of Catholic.

Thailand...maybe, but I don't think it's gonna happen either, though it's one of the more gay-friendly countries in Asia.

Nepal seems like the best best tbqh, then Taiwan.
Yeah, structurally, the Catholic Church is too strong in the Philippines. I mean, they won't even allow DIVORCE!

But, among the people, gays are extremely widely-accepted, as are gay male TEEN beauty pageants, and everything else that would absolutely shock the most liberal of westerners. Thailand as well, for that matter.

I can't imagine Nepal? Than again, it was 20 years ago that I was there. But, it felt very rural and conservative and everything else. I've heard it has been changing a lot in Kathmandu over the last 20 years, but I can't imagine it changing that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.