U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-10-2015, 09:45 PM
 
Location: Taipei
6,773 posts, read 5,121,205 times
Reputation: 4565

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepillow View Post
I had refrained from commenting in this thread until I saw what you wrote. It had to happen. I knew it.

Have you ever thought of opening that precious gold-laced mouth of yours to ask for a seat? Why do you see the need to play the victim's card when those people could genuinely be asleep? Heck, I could be one of those people who has had a rough day and just needed a quick shuteye on the train, and not knowing there is another passenger in front of me feigning muteness.

I have seen this far too often in the metro in Singapore, but it's usually the pregnant who would rather save that 5 or 6 muscles of the mouth from moving than to ask for a seat. And guess what they prefer to do on social media when they get home?

Geez, that's the reason why I choose to stand 99% of the time. For that 1% when I'm truly bushed and just had to sit down, I worry about being criticized by people like you, or by overzealous vigilantes who think that the needy who take trains are born mute.
That's kinda harsh. It must feel really awkward to ask a random stranger to give up the seat on a crowded train, I wouldn't ask if I was a pregnant woman or was carrying a baby.

 
Old 06-10-2015, 11:43 PM
 
Location: Macao
15,945 posts, read 36,159,509 times
Reputation: 9478
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepillow View Post
I had refrained from commenting in this thread until I saw what you wrote. It had to happen. I knew it.

Have you ever thought of opening that precious gold-laced mouth of yours to ask for a seat? Why do you see the need to play the victim's card when those people could genuinely be asleep? Heck, I could be one of those people who has had a rough day and just needed a quick shuteye on the train, and not knowing there is another passenger in front of me feigning muteness.

I have seen this far too often in the metro in Singapore, but it's usually the pregnant who would rather save that 5 or 6 muscles of the mouth from moving than to ask for a seat. And guess what they prefer to do on social media when they get home?

Geez, that's the reason why I choose to stand 99% of the time. For that 1% when I'm truly bushed and just had to sit down, I worry about being criticized by people like you, or by overzealous vigilantes who think that the needy who take trains are born mute.
Whoa! Talk about serious passive-aggressive.

It feels like you've been stirring on this, hating on all the standing mothers and such on your train rides. Harboring the hate.

Don't wait until someone posts about it, and then let all your emotions fly out. Just yell at the exhausted mothers directly on your train trips next time.
 
Old 06-10-2015, 11:49 PM
 
Location: Macao
15,945 posts, read 36,159,509 times
Reputation: 9478
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanindonesia View Post
Yep. I mean if you have the guts to seat at priority seat then why would you pretend to be asleep ? lol.
I heard that in Korea they take the priority seat seriously. I didn't have the opportunity to use subway during my stay in Seoul but I heard that no one especially younger people dare to seat at priority seats, because if you do, you will get stared a lot and at least a random elderly will scold and scream at you. I guess it has something to do with the strong influence of Confucianism in Korea ?

How about at Taiwan, Mainland China, and Japan ? any posters ?
Yeah, Koreans will take it very seriously. Usually the older Korean men will ALWAYS tell the teens and young adults to stand up. It's almost expected. Even if the Korean men aren't super old, they'll still expect it from anyone from ages 15-19. Mostly because of hierarchy of age. Of course you'd see tired sleeping young Korean kids passed out on the trains; but if the train was super crowded, it was usually expected that they'd stand.

Here in Macau. They will ALWAYS stand up for any older person, mother, pregnant person, etc. I think partly because Macau is not that huge, and people aren't commuting for 1-2 hours like they might in Japan.

I used to live in New York City. People are really good about giving up seats there as well.
 
Old 06-11-2015, 12:15 AM
 
Location: Phoenix
1,021 posts, read 896,670 times
Reputation: 736
I've seen the worst in Singapore. A mother carrying a baby yet nobody offered her a seat. There's an athletic guy infront of her who pretend clueless. I really stood up and told the man to offer the seat to this lady. I'm not generalizing, but that guy is really a moron.

Manila may not have that efficiency of transport system as in Singapore but seat is always being offered not only to the elderly but to the women in general. I myself couldn't take it, sitting when there is a girl standing infront me. It is not always the case though.
 
Old 06-11-2015, 08:20 AM
 
Location: Taipei
6,773 posts, read 5,121,205 times
Reputation: 4565
Lol I would never offer a seat to someone just because she's a girl. It's really sweet though, you are a real gentleman.
 
Old 06-11-2015, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Mount of Showing the Way
1,953 posts, read 2,069,946 times
Reputation: 615
 
Old 06-11-2015, 10:16 AM
 
Location: Singapore
653 posts, read 539,814 times
Reputation: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
I'm 70 and often visit with my wife who is Singaporean. I'm almost always offered a seat by a local whenever there is a standing room only situation. Singaporeans are courteous to seniors.
thanks for that!
 
Old 06-12-2015, 10:31 PM
 
Location: Macao
15,945 posts, read 36,159,509 times
Reputation: 9478
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
I've seen the worst in Singapore. A mother carrying a baby yet nobody offered her a seat. There's an athletic guy infront of her who pretend clueless. I really stood up and told the man to offer the seat to this lady. I'm not generalizing, but that guy is really a moron.

Manila may not have that efficiency of transport system as in Singapore but seat is always being offered not only to the elderly but to the women in general. I myself couldn't take it, sitting when there is a girl standing infront me. It is not always the case though.
At first, this thread sounded like ONLY Singaporeans stood for others; but as the thread progresses it appears that it is the opposite. Singaporeans routinely do NOT stand up for others.

Not just your post. But, specifically the Singaporean poster who harbors the hate on standing mothers who hold kids while standing; as that appears to be something he sees on a consistent regular basis.
 
Old 06-12-2015, 10:43 PM
 
Location: Singapore
653 posts, read 539,814 times
Reputation: 289
I wonder how it compares to other countries; I have been to Brisbane, Gold Coast, Adelaide and Cairns and it is a lot worst there, on public transport, young Australians rarely give up their seats to the elderly, the injured and pregnant ladies.

I have not been to North America or Europe, so I can't comment.
 
Old 06-12-2015, 10:54 PM
 
Location: Macao
15,945 posts, read 36,159,509 times
Reputation: 9478
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
I wonder how it compares to other countries; I have been to Brisbane, Gold Coast, Adelaide and Cairns and it is a lot worst there, on public transport, young Australians rarely give up their seats to the elderly, the injured and pregnant ladies.

I have not been to North America or Europe, so I can't comment.
There is very little public transportation in the U.S.

When I lived in New York City, I used the trains everywhere. I don't recall their being extremely crowded trains with anyone standing who shouldn't be. But, in NYC, I was always in Manhattan; and people seem more likely to stand if they have shorter commutes. When I went into the other boroughs - Queens, Brooklyn, a lot less people were on the trains, and I don't recall seeing them very crowded. But, I never went into other boruughs during peak commute times.

I noticed in Japan, many people had very long commutes, and they were less likely to give up their seat once they got them.

Korea, they seemed to give up their seats quite easily; without much thought about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top