U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 07:50 AM

653 posts, read 540,722 times

Advertisements

This is a Weird Question thread, only for Singaporeans or for people whom have lived in Singapore for long periods of time.

We all know that when we take the MRT, we need to give up our seats to the more deserving ones, for example:

1) the elderly
2) the injured
3) pregnant ladies
4) parents carrying babies

However, how do you determine how elderly is elderly?

I mean, it is very obvious that anyone whom is an Ah Pek or Ah Mah should be offered a seat.

But at what age do we draw the line?

I mean, if I am 30, I wouldn't offer a seat to a fit and healthy 35 year old.

I am asking this question because we always run the risk of offending the wrong person.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:15 AM

15,947 posts, read 36,185,822 times
Interesting that there is this an assumption that this only happens in Singapore? Unless you are implying that Singaporeans are less likely to adhere to this....or adhere to it in some really different way?

This is quite universal around the world...

Old 06-09-2015, 08:18 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,188,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Interesting that there is this an assumption that this only happens in Singapore? Unless you are implying that Singaporeans are less likely to adhere to this....or adhere to it in some really different way?

This is quite universal around the world...
Yeah seriously, I would have thought this would be very obvious? OP, you can't tell the difference between a 40 year old and a 60 year old? A 40 and a 60 year old look VERY different

Old 06-09-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
I mean, if I am 30, I wouldn't offer a seat to a fit and healthy 35 year old.
Unless Singapore is REALLY different! And I've been to Singapore, and they seem to have the same signs as everyone else in the world for MTR etiquette.

The general universal rule is the ELDERLY, particularly the Senior Citizens, or anyone who by eyeballing, you feel that that person should probably be sitting down. I'd say about 60 and above is a good age to stand up for.

A fit and healthy 35 year old should be standing. That isn't considered elderly in any society. I'm older than 35 myself, and it would feel downright bizarre if someone stood up and gave me their seat.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Unless Singapore is REALLY different! And I've been to Singapore, and they seem to have the same signs as everyone else in the world for MTR etiquette.

The general universal rule is the ELDERLY, particularly the Senior Citizens, or anyone who by eyeballing, you feel that that person should probably be sitting down. I'd say about 60 and above is a good age to stand up for.

A fit and healthy 35 year old should be standing. That isn't considered elderly in any society. I'm older than 35 myself, and it would feel downright bizarre if someone stood up and gave me their seat.

Hhhmmm, what about 50 years old or so????

I have always given my seat up to the elderly, the injured, children with toddlers etc.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:51 AM

6,776 posts, read 5,128,008 times
Quote:
Hhhmmm, what about 50 years old or so????

I have always given my seat up to the elderly, the injured, children with toddlers etc.
That's really sweet, I ignore everybody.

Jk, I usually choose not to sit on a priority seat as everyone else does, but I don't really give a **** when I'm sitting on a normal seat.

Anyway, I don't think anyone can assign a specific age. I guess just those who look old physically?

Old 06-09-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
That's really sweet, I ignore everybody.

Jk, I usually choose not to sit on a priority seat as everyone else does, but I don't really give a **** when I'm sitting on a normal seat.

Anyway, I don't think anyone can assign a specific age. I guess just those who look old physically?
I know what you mean by priority seating, we have those in Singapore too.

I always give up my seat to the deserving, regardless of what kind of seat I am in.

But the truth is, sometimes, I make different judgement calls, based on other factors. Age can sometimes be difficult to tell in certain circumstances.

Last edited by tigerbalm1985; 06-09-2015 at 09:20 AM..

Old 06-09-2015, 09:16 AM

6,776 posts, read 5,128,008 times
Quote:

I always give up my seat to the deserving, regardless of what kind of seat I am in.

Would their way of dressing affect your decision?

I know this sounds really strange but let us say you are really nor sure of a person's age, say, the person looks like maybe in her 40s. but dresses like a 20-year old..........
I don't think anyone in their 40s is old enough for anyone else to give up the seat, unless there's kids, pregnancy, or disabilities involved.

But that's a very gentlemanly thing to do so please carry on. I wouldn't do it though, I guess I'm just not that nice.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:

Would their way of dressing affect your decision?

I know this sounds really strange but let us say you are really nor sure of a person's age, say, the person looks like maybe in her 40s. but dresses like a 20-year old..........
For me, I ALWAYS give my seat up QUICKLY if I see anyone holding kids in their arms. Well, anyone with young kids. Let them sit. Chasing and holding kids all day is exhausting, being 40 is not exhausting at all.

For older people, 40s is still young. I'm in my 40s actually, and I can't imagine anyone giving up a seat for me. I'm a very healthy active person.

I can't imagine anything would slow me down until ACTUAL old age, which begins in the 60s and upward.

Regarding who I give seats up to. You can tell. If an ACTUAL old person comes on, looks a little feeble, like they might not be able to sustain the ups and downs of bus movements; they get my seat.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:51 PM

35 posts, read 34,540 times
I'm not singaporean but visit have visited singapore so many times just like other Indonesian that I don't need any map or gps anymore at singapore . I always give up my seat to elderly... mostly to ah-ma ah-kong . Never had the opportunity to give up my seat to pregnant ladies but for sure would give up my seat whenever they need it.

One thing that I noticed among some younger singaporean is that whenever there is an elderly in front of them they pretend to be asleep and magically awake when it's on their stop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or