U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2015, 04:49 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,201,625 times

Advertisements

Eating, drinking and smoking in daylight are punishable offences in UAE, and many other parts of the Gulf...

I'm imagining that Malaysia doesn't care so much...but just curious what others might have to say about it...

But, how about the MALAY in Malaysia? Different set of standards for them, at least culturally, on some level?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 06:11 AM

4,342 posts, read 2,272,131 times
I can't say exactly except to comment that it seemed to make no difference (or inconvenience) to me when I traveled there for working. I ate and drank on a normal schedule.

Except that I did notice there were many people from the Middle East in my hotel there during Ramadan.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:11 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,201,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
I can't say exactly except to comment that it seemed to make no difference (or inconvenience) to me when I traveled there for working. I ate and drank on a normal schedule.

Except that I did notice there were many people from the Middle East in my hotel there during Ramadan.
I am not sure...BUT with all of the Indian and Chinese populations in Malaysia, I'd guess it would be easier for a Malay to hit one of those restaurants....I mean, the only other people who are going to be in them, are those other Malays who are also breaking that rule!

Not sure though.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:28 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,002,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Eating, drinking and smoking in daylight are punishable offences in UAE, and many other parts of the Gulf...

I'm imagining that Malaysia doesn't care so much...but just curious what others might have to say about it...

But, how about the MALAY in Malaysia? Different set of standards for them, at least culturally, on some level?
I cant say for certain ( I have never been there).

But... I have heard that each Malaysian states enjoys alot of local autonomy. Likewise, how stringent Ramadan observances are kept by the public, and whether or not social taboos regarding Ramadan are enforced by the police can evidently vary from state to state.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:14 PM

2,850 posts, read 3,941,769 times
I spent 17 years in Malaysia with 12 of those in a pre-dominantly Malay area. I worked at a college that was 98% Malay, staff and students. Here is what I experienced during Ramadan.

Although the Malays go through the motions and outward appearance of fasting, I would say 70-80% cheat. Of course, women are allowed to eat and drink on their menses week so that eliminates 50% from doing the entire monthly fast. They are supposed to make up that lost week later in the year, but who's counting, eh?

My Indian colleague and I saw many Malay men cheating, not openly of course, but entering Indian or Chinese restaurants and being shown into a back room where plates of food were brought by the waiters.

Rich and royal Malays often travel out-of-country during the fasting month so that they can avoid doing the fast. Also, people go home at lunch time and who's to know they aren't eating and drinking there.

Islam really is an external-show religion; you can cheat in private but must show how sanctimonious you are in public.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:30 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,336,032 times
I spent Ramadan in Indonesia, and it was pretty invisible. It seemed business as usual just about everywhere. I can't think of any reason Malaysia would be much different. To be sure, there were people keeping fast, but there were so man y who were not, that there wasn't even anything conspicuous, and there was never any problem finding a place eat.

I also spent Ramadan in Jordan. It was apparent, but most people went about their usual business, fasting according to their own conscience. It was usual in the busy streets to see tea and coffee boys running about serving clients in shops, and during Ramada, they just carried the tea trays through the streets concealed in cardboad boxes. I drove though Saudi, Kuwait, Iran and Turkey during Ramadan, and I can't recall ever being inconvenienced by the fast. Most Muslims nowadays fast openly in public, but in private may or may not break the fast. It is considered bad manners to eat or drink in front of someone who might be fasting during Ramadan (or who has nothing to eat at any time, without offering them some), so it is impossible to tell how many people are actually doing it.

In Indonesia, the huge feast at the end or Ramadan is eagerly looked forward to, even by those who did no fasting at all. This is a much bigger event in Indonesia than in Jordan.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:21 AM

653 posts, read 541,263 times
I have been to Malaysia during Ramadan.

At night, during ramadan, I saw a couple chugging down Tiger Beer at the Malaysian resort I was staying in, and smoking their way through through an entire pack of cigerattes,

Last edited by tigerbalm1985; 06-26-2015 at 11:58 AM..

Old 06-26-2015, 11:40 AM

653 posts, read 541,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
I have been to Malaysia during Ramadan.

At night, during ramadan, I saw a couple chugging down Tiger Beer at the Malaysian resort I was staying in, and smoking their way through through an entire pack of cigerattes,

In case anyone was wondering, they were watching "Piranha 3DD" while gulping down Tiger Beer.

Last edited by tigerbalm1985; 06-26-2015 at 11:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or