U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 02:03 PM

15,554 posts, read 13,546,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Aint some of those places very dangerous? It is close to Afghanistan. I am sure there are some taliban there trying to wheel and deal outside of afghanistan.
No, they are not dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 04:13 PM

451 posts, read 1,080,417 times
Quote:
Aint some of those places very dangerous? It is close to Afghanistan. I am sure there are some taliban there trying to wheel and deal outside of afghanistan.
When I was in Kyrgyzstan, I did not feel immediately threatened by terrorism, but that was in 2004- 3 years after 9-11. We landed at Manas Airport in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, at that time there was actually a U.S. Military Base that served as a transit center for supplies, etc to Afghanistan. As of June 2014, it is no longer as U.S. Military Base. I think especially near the Kyrgyz-Uzbek border, if anything, the concern would be with the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan rather than the Taliban (though, there are Uzbek members of the Taliban). Uzbekistan and Tajikistan directly borders Afghanistan. Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan does not directly border Afghanistan. But, again, in general, don't believe there is as an immediate threat of terrorism or danger. But, you just have to be vigilant. The worst thing that happened somebody broke into the guest apartment where my friend was staying and somebody stole her backpack which had money, passport, and plane tickets.
See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism_in_Kyrgyzstan

https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Isla..._of_Uzbekistan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transit_Center_at_Manas

Old 06-22-2015, 06:55 PM

78,813 posts, read 70,635,877 times
Quote:
Good grief, no. You don't know much about that part of Central Asia. I have several friends (female) who have been there recently, travelling alone. They had a great time. One goes every year on work-related business. No problems at all.

However, regarding the post about having a hotel room broken into & stuff stolen; whenever I travel to Russia (or ex-Russia), I always take a hard-case piece of luggage that has a built-in combination lock. I keep extra cash in there. Always carry your passport on your person, under your clothes.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:33 AM

8 posts, read 5,675 times
Caucasus republics are great! Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Abkhazia, Russian Caucasus... Beautiful nature, ancient traditions, friendly people and great mountain air to breathe!

Old 06-23-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
However, regarding the post about having a hotel room broken into & stuff stolen; whenever I travel to Russia (or ex-Russia), I always take a hard-case piece of luggage that has a built-in combination lock. I keep extra cash in there. Always carry your passport on your person, under your clothes.
I usually care all my important items with me. I guess she let her guard down. The break in happened while we went to town with friends and came back later that evening. This happened in Jalalabad, Kyrgyzstan in the southern part of the country closer to the Uzbek border. We immediately contacted the credit card company to cancel the credit card, the US Embassy in Bishkek and the airline (at the time we flew a subsidiary of British Airways). When we got to the capital, she got a new plane ticket and temporary valid passport. When we went through customs, they held my friend up with the temporary valid passport. This hold up held up our flight. Fortunately, our translator was looking across the glass and wrote in Kyrgyz and Russian that my friend "had cash." We gave them 30 som which is close to one month's salary in Kyrgyzstan and then they let her through (despite the fact that they should have let her through even with a legitimate temporary passport). So, the point is you could also experience a little corruption. But, as for dangers from terrorism, probably not anywhere like Afghanistan, but just be vigilant.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twnxn View Post
I usually care all my important items with me. I guess she let her guard down. The break in happened while we went to town with friends and came back later that evening. This happened in Jalalabad, Kyrgyzstan in the southern part of the country closer to the Uzbek border. We immediately contacted the credit card company to cancel the credit card, the US Embassy in Bishkek and the airline (at the time we flew a subsidiary of British Airways). When we got to the capital, she got a new plane ticket and temporary valid passport. When we went through customs, they held my friend up with the temporary valid passport. This hold up held up our flight. Fortunately, our translator was looking across the glass and wrote in Kyrgyz and Russian that my friend "had cash." We gave them 30 som which is close to one month's salary in Kyrgyzstan and then they let her through (despite the fact that they should have let her through even with a legitimate temporary passport). So, the point is you could also experience a little corruption. But, as for dangers from terrorism, probably not anywhere like Afghanistan, but just be vigilant.
What kind of hotel were you staying in? Was it a more upscale one, that catered to foreigners? Those can be targets. Better to stay in one that locals stay in.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:28 PM

6,066 posts, read 10,851,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I booked a flight today for a visit to Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Georgia and Armenia. Have any of you been to those places lately? I've never been to that part of the world, so I thought I'd go and backpack around a little and have a look.

I'll fly to Bishkek, go and do some volunteer work on a project in a village in Kazakhstan (and hopefully learn a little Russian), have a week to poke around in Kyrgyzstan, then fly to Istanbul and take the bus to Tbilisi, to spend a couple of weeks in Georgia and Armenia.

I don't speak any Russian at all, so language might be an even bigger challenge than my blindness and old age, which I know how to deal with..
They are all extremely exotic, and like another World. Is there any reason why you don't want to visit Azerbaijan, or is there simply not enough time in the travel vacation?

Batumi Georgia is a magical fairytale town seaside resort right along the Black Sea. Underrated hidden treasure rarely known with foreigners. Unique version of architecture, very European, a blend of native Georgian, Russian, and even Italian because of Italian architects investing with the area. A vibrant destination town. I rather go to Batumi actually before I visit Tbilisi.

Around Kyrgyzstan land, there is Issyk-Kul Biosphere Reserve with a massive lake resembling a mini-ocean and surrounded by ultra high mountains. Not too far away outside of Bishkek city.

This summer, me and my traveling companion are planning an epic, ultra adventure along Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey, and Georgia Black Sea, including Istanbul in between. We are then planning to take a plane from Istanbul Turkey to Taiwan.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What kind of hotel were you staying in? Was it a more upscale one, that catered to foreigners? Those can be targets. Better to stay in one that locals stay in.
It was actually a guest apartment. We stayed with local Kyrgyz and most people living in the apartment around were Krygyz. We just lived blended in. It was not a hotel catered to foreigners.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
They are all extremely exotic, and like another World. Is there any reason why you don't want to visit Azerbaijan, or is there simply not enough time in the travel vacation?

Batumi Georgia is a magical fairytale town seaside resort right along the Black Sea. Underrated hidden treasure rarely known with foreigners. Unique version of architecture, very European, a blend of native Georgian, Russian, and even Italian because of Italian architects investing with the area. A vibrant destination town. I rather go to Batumi actually before I visit Tbilisi.

Around Kyrgyzstan land, there is Issyk-Kul Biosphere Reserve with a massive lake resembling a mini-ocean and surrounded by ultra high mountains. Not too far away outside of Bishkek city.

This summer, me and my traveling companion are planning an epic, ultra adventure along Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey, and Georgia Black Sea, including Istanbul in between. We are then planning to take a plane from Istanbul Turkey to Taiwan.
What you plan to do in Taiwan? I am Taiwanese-American. But, have been to Kyrgyzstan.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twnxn View Post
It was actually a guest apartment. We stayed with local Kyrgyz and most people living in the apartment around were Krygyz. We just lived blended in. It was not a hotel catered to foreigners.
And yet, someone knew to hit your apt., and not your neighbors'. Odd. And the thieves knew when you were away. What did your neighbors say, after the incident?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or