U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 10:11 PM

451 posts, read 1,081,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
And yet, someone knew to hit your apt., and not your neighbors'. Odd. And the thieves knew when you were away. What did your neighbors say, after the incident?
The thieves hit the guest apartment my friend was staying at, not the one I was staying at. And I agree that the thieves knew my friend was away. Somebody was watching and knew we were foreigners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 04:13 AM

192 posts, read 127,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I have also noted how cost-effective Turkish Arlines can be, especially their domestic flights. I was looking at flying from Istanbul to Van, right near the Iraq border, and hitchhiking my way back to Western Turkey as a possible trip option last year. I don't think the fare I saw was more than $50. I think the trick is to look at leaving Istanbul from SAW airport, rather than the main one.
That would be a terrible idea. Van is pretty safe(unless another riot breaks out, which is unlikely), but hitchhiking through Southeastern Turkey is very dangerous, especially right now.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:30 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,336,032 times
Just a quick update, I've now been in Karakol, in far eastern Kyrgyzstan for three days, and I cant think of anyplace Ive ever felt safer. But getting by with no Russian is very trying, mitigated by the peoples patience and open warmth.

Kyrgyzstan, even in the capital, seems to have no post-Soviet development at all, and even has a pre-Sovie, Czarist era aspect. A real treasure, without the ugly clutter of the modern centurt. Yet very clean and vicaly maintained.

Ive found a complete absence of obesity, smoking, and plastic water bottles…

Sorry about the inescable Android gibberish, try nicely for vically

Old 06-29-2015, 08:27 AM

3,402 posts, read 4,452,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabanci View Post
That would be a terrible idea. Van is pretty safe(unless another riot breaks out, which is unlikely), but hitchhiking through Southeastern Turkey is very dangerous, especially right now.
Prove it rather than just assuming because SE Turkey is confidently in the Middle East. I found no such evidence at any point. Hitchwiki is nothing but raves over Turkey.

Old 06-29-2015, 04:47 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,336,032 times
"Dangerous" in terms out political volatility is not at all the same as "dangerous" to the casual traveler visiting the area. I would not hesitate to place myself at the mercy of the hospitality of the people in far east Turkey, as there is no risk of being mistaken for a political adversary.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Prove it rather than just assuming because SE Turkey is confidently in the Middle East. I found no such evidence at any point. Hitchwiki is nothing but raves over Turkey.
The majority of comments about Turkey which are found on message boards are full of prejudice and devoid of knowledge, so you are right to be suspicious. I, however, have years of experience with the country.

One of the main reasons I advised the poster to avoid hitchhiking in Southeastern Turkey in general is the potential for serious injury or fatality through a car accident. Generally speaking, drivers in Turkey are terrible. Combine that that with the poor conditions of the roads in the East and the relative paucity of decent emergency medical care in the East, and the possibility of a traffic fatality is above average.

In terms of avoiding it now, I was thinking of the increasing presence of (Anatolian) Hizbullah (not connected with the Lebanese one). While I don't think they are officially allied with ISIS, they have much in common with them. Also, it is widely believed that there are ISIS cells throughout Turkey.

For the sake of thoroughness, though, I asked a friend of mine from Southeastern Turkey what she thought of the idea of a foreigner hitchhiking in the area. Her (unedited) response was: "Saçmalara demelisin. Kız erkek farketmez tecavüze uğrama olasılığı bile var." Which roughly translates as 'You should tell them not to be absurd. It doesn't matter if you are female or male, there is a possibility of being raped.' That was something which had not even occured to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
"Dangerous" in terms out political volatility is not at all the same as "dangerous" to the casual traveler visiting the area. I would not hesitate to place myself at the mercy of the hospitality of the people in far east Turkey, as there is no risk of being mistaken for a political adversary.
If you were just talking about PKK sympathizes and the Turkish military, you'd mostly be correct(although you could become 'guilty by association' depending on whom you were riding with). But the current tensions in the Southeast seem to be between (presumed) PKK sympathizers and the political party affiliated with Hizbullah. Since the latter is hardcore Islamisist, who knows what their attitude towards a Westerner might be.

If you want to enjoy Eastern Anatolian hospitality, don't do it on the road. Go to a city and you should have no problem meeting locals willing to help you. There is a traditional (and unwritten) rule dating from at least the Seljuk era that a visiting stranger should receive three days lodging for free. The more modern and developed a place is, the more likely they are to have forgotten this rule.

Old 07-03-2015, 12:18 AM

3,402 posts, read 4,452,621 times
I'm still weary of your advice. I understand that you have some sort of first degree connection here, but I really see no compelling evidence for not doing so other than an anecdote on the internet. Most people where I live think hitchhikers have a death wish and are practically guaranteed to be kidnapped, but it doesn't make it so.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:06 AM

Quote:
I'm still weary of your advice. I understand that you have some sort of first degree connection here, but I really see no compelling evidence for not doing so other than an anecdote on the internet.
As best as I can tell your reason for thinking that hitchhiking in (Eastern) Turkey would be a good idea is based on internet anecdotes (hitchwiki).

I would hesitate to ride with anyone, even a good friend, unless I knew he was a cautious driver. One can never be sure about the quality of the roads, there are long stretches of road between population centers, and the distance between decent hospitals is even greater.

In terms of the people, I know many people from the East, and I wouldn't think twice about riding long distances (in Western Turkey) with most of them, but there are a few I would never consider sharing a vehicle with. To be fair, the ones I know I met in Istanbul, and I've been told told that the city brings out the worst in some people.

The quote I shared was from a woman from that area, so she has more insight into the region than most. That said, she sees things from a woman's perspective, and what is a terrible idea for women in that region could be perfectly safe for a man.

Quote:
Most people where I live think hitchhikers have a death wish and are practically guaranteed to be kidnapped, but it doesn't make it so.
I would imagine that hitchhiking in Canada is safer than crossing the street in Istanbul.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:48 PM

6,066 posts, read 10,859,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twnxn View Post
What you plan to do in Taiwan? I am Taiwanese-American. But, have been to Kyrgyzstan.
Me, and my traveling companion are planning out the itinerary. There is lots of realistic options on travel activities optimally available.

Our travel journey to Taiwan includes Taipei, rural mystical Taiwanese village towns (Jiufen is one example), Suao Hualien coastline(Even better than Big Sur California equivalent), Yushan mountains, Taroko National Park, Taichung(Taiwan's second major city after Taipei), and maybe Kaohsiung.

Elaborate Taiwanese Temples, Tea Houses, Temple Pagodas, Nightlife(Luxy Nightclub of Taipei is one of them), Night Markets(Shilin & Liuhe Night Market are some of them), Only Independent Business Stores(No chain stores), Liberty Square, Chiang Kai-Shek Memorial, and National Palace Museum are all on the world class travel agenda.

Research before travel is always essential.

We are probably catching an airplane flight from Turkey, or Central Asian Caucasus Republic country of Georgia towards Taiwan right after a Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey, and Georgia Black Sea road trip.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:51 PM

6,066 posts, read 10,859,454 times
Quote:
I have also noted how cost-effective Turkish Arlines can be, especially their domestic flights. I was looking at flying from Istanbul to Van, right near the Iraq border, and hitchhiking my way back to Western Turkey as a possible trip option last year. I don't think the fare I saw was more than $50. I think the trick is to look at leaving Istanbul from SAW airport, rather than the main one.
Quote:
Quote:
I'm still weary of your advice. I understand that you have some sort of first degree connection here, but I really see no compelling evidence for not doing so other than an anecdote on the internet. Most people where I live think hitchhikers have a death wish and are practically guaranteed to be kidnapped, but it doesn't make it so.

Your travel question on Turkey reminds me of my own investigation on visiting. Istanbul, and the Turkish Black Sea, including the high mountains next to them(North Anatolian Mountains Turkish: Kuzey Anadolu Dağlari), and some obscure sea side Turkish towns on the route to Batumi Georgia is where me, and my traveling companion are going if we visit Turkey.

Many people, and websites, including official sources of information claim 90-95%+ of Turkey is a relatively safe travel destination. Turkish Black Sea is unanimously ranked as safe, and even some areas(not all) of Southeastern Turkey gets the same title, including around the province of where Van is situated. A travel map on Turkey: https://assets.digital.cabinet-offic...urkey_jpeg.jpg

When in the Van Turkey area, maybe venture out to Armenia rather close by, and offering another stark contrast of scenery rather quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or