U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 02:22 AM

4,342 posts, read 2,269,183 times

Advertisements

I only have second-hand knowledge on this but I think it is impossible for you to buy property as a foreign individual. I have a colleague who has lived there 20+ years and is married to a Japanese woman and said he had to buy his house in his wife's name - despite the fact he makes the money and has residency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 09:06 AM

4,376 posts, read 1,817,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
I only have second-hand knowledge on this but I think it is impossible for you to buy property as a foreign individual. I have a colleague who has lived there 20+ years and is married to a Japanese woman and said he had to buy his house in his wife's name - despite the fact he makes the money and has residency.
Ah thanks for that. It is disheartening to hear but I guess I can just stick with renting you would think though that they would want foreign people to buy up property as it would push values and taxes up. Oh well

Old 06-21-2015, 10:39 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,188,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Ah thanks for that. It is disheartening to hear but I guess I can just stick with renting you would think though that they would want foreign people to buy up property as it would push values and taxes up. Oh well
Most countries in the world outside of white majority countries actually do not let foreigners buy property. Letting foreigners buy property is not how most of the world operates.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:28 AM

448 posts, read 500,055 times
It is possible to buy properties in Japan, for foreigners who do not live there.
People in Hong Kong are buying properties in Tokyo and Osaka in recent years and receiving rental incomes in Yen, as real estate in Japan is cheaper by comparsion, the Yen value is low and the Yen interest rate is very low.

However, this is not a very good return for investment, there are better investment options in Asia, particularly in HK, Macau and Mainland China.

US, Canada, UK, Australia, Mainland China and Japan real estates are frequently advertised in Hong Kong's and Macau's newspapers, there are agencies who are familiar with the foreign real estate markets and have close contacts with local agents overseas. Properties can be bought easily by foreigners without much trouble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Most countries in the world outside of white majority countries actually do not let foreigners buy property. Letting foreigners buy property is not how most of the world operates.

Last edited by lokeung); 06-22-2015 at 08:36 AM..

Old 06-22-2015, 08:41 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,188,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
It is possible to buy properties in Japan, for foreigners who do not live there.
People in Hong Kong are buying properties in Tokyo and Osaka in recent years and receiving rental incomes in Yen, as real estate in Japan is cheaper by comparsion, the Yen value is low and the Yen interest rate is very low.

However, this is not a very good return for investment, there are better investment options in Asia, particularly in HK, Macau and Mainland China.

US, Canada, UK, Australia, Mainland China and Japan real estates are frequently advertised in Hong Kong's and Macau's newspapers, there are agencies who are familiar with the foreign real estate markets and have close contacts with local agents overseas. Properties can be bought easily by foreigners without much trouble.
China and Japan are not "most of the world" lokeung. There's a difference between "all of the world" and "most of the world"

Old 06-22-2015, 08:54 AM

Let's say it this way. Owning properties itself does not give foreigners or non-locals the right to live there permanently.
Before, Non-locals could move to HK permanently by buying properties over 10 million HK dollars. Foreigners could also immigrate to Canada by investment. These are no longer possible by changes of governments' immigration policies.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:48 PM

Anyone know the home owenership rate in Japan or Tokyo?

The prices nowadays seem to be very affordable for most working Japanese couples, I mean if both the husband and wife are working, with the extremely low interest rate of Japanese Yen, it is not hard to own a medium size private housing even in central Tokyo.

Old 06-27-2015, 02:07 PM

4,376 posts, read 1,817,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
Anyone know the home owenership rate in Japan or Tokyo?

The prices nowadays seem to be very affordable for most working Japanese couples, I mean if both the husband and wife are working, with the extremely low interest rate of Japanese Yen, it is not hard to own a medium size private housing even in central Tokyo.
Main reason I wanted to buy is due to currency differences I was looking more for a loft or apartment preferably with a nice view .

Old 06-28-2015, 04:50 AM

919 posts, read 603,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Hi, I am a qualified realtor in Japan.

It IS possible for anyone who has enough Yen to purchase property in Japan. One of my clients, a Chinese citizen, made a contract to buy a house the day before yesterday with zero down payment.

I guess your friend does not have permanent residency(永住権) in Japan. If this is the case, he must have had a hard time in getting mortgage, unless he can prepare a 30% or more down payment.

Sorry for my poor English.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:01 AM

919 posts, read 603,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I, as a foreigner, can buy property in Beijing, Taipei or Hongkong if I have enough money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or