U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-20-2015, 07:46 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
4,376 posts, read 1,816,273 times
Reputation: 3301

Advertisements

Can it be done and how difficult would it be. I am looking to buy in the Tokyo area but I would like some advice on how best to go about it since I have never purchased real estate overseas before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-20-2015, 08:07 AM
 
Location: Airstrip 1, Oceania
1,008 posts, read 2,598,385 times
Reputation: 1132
Are you intending to live there or is it for investment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2015, 08:10 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
4,376 posts, read 1,816,273 times
Reputation: 3301
I am intending to live there any increase of the property would be a bonus, but it would mainly be a primary residence for at least five years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2015, 08:12 AM
 
Location: Airstrip 1, Oceania
1,008 posts, read 2,598,385 times
Reputation: 1132
So, have you determined that you qualify for a Japanese resident visa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2015, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
4,376 posts, read 1,816,273 times
Reputation: 3301
I do qualify however I do not plan on purchasing property for another year or so until my Japanese improves. I feel like I should be proficient in the language if I want to buy property and live over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2015, 09:02 AM
 
956 posts, read 1,547,698 times
Reputation: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I do qualify however I do not plan on purchasing property for another year or so until my Japanese improves. I feel like I should be proficient in the language if I want to buy property and live over there.
How can you become qualified for the Japanese resident visa? And do you have to take a Japanese proficiency test?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2015, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
4,376 posts, read 1,816,273 times
Reputation: 3301
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
How can you become qualified for the Japanese resident visa? And do you have to take a Japanese proficiency test?
Visa Information - The Consulate-General of Japan in Denver
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2015, 05:13 PM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,184,561 times
Reputation: 11619
OP, if you don't have a job offer already or a student visa, buying a property to live in for 5 years, if it is legal in the first place, will send red flags to the immigration officer that you do not intend on leaving Japan at the conclusion of your stay. Do you already have a visa on hand, or are you putting the cart before the horse, ish at the previous posters are saying and asking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2015, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
4,376 posts, read 1,816,273 times
Reputation: 3301
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
OP, if you don't have a job offer already or a student visa, buying a property to live in for 5 years, if it is legal in the first place, will send red flags to the immigration officer that you do not intend on leaving Japan at the conclusion of your stay. Do you already have a visa on hand, or are you putting the cart before the horse, ish at the previous posters are saying and asking
I do not have the visa yet no however reading the qualification list I do qualify for one. I do not intend on working but money is not exactly an issue I want to experience life over in Japan. The reason I made this thread was to get some insight into what buying property was like over in Japan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2015, 12:51 AM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,184,561 times
Reputation: 11619
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I do not have the visa yet no however reading the qualification list I do qualify for one. I do not intend on working but money is not exactly an issue I want to experience life over in Japan. The reason I made this thread was to get some insight into what buying property was like over in Japan.
As someone who's very experienced dealing with immigration officers, unless you are taking up work in Japan or are studying for a degree, buying a house in Japan and saying you as t to experience life there for several years is a surefire way of getting g yourself deported. Most likely you won't pass go and you won't get your $200 and go directly to jail until the first plane back to the U.S. leaves. Which visa do you qualify for that you haven't applied for yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top