U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 10:38 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,250,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac110 View Post
i dunno. Sex is like money. If you have as much as you need, it's not a big deal, and it's tough to see why it's a big deal for those who don't have it. If you don't need it and don't have it, it's not a big deal, either, and you might wonder why other people are so hung up on it. But if you need it and don't have it, it's a big deal.

qft
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 11:02 AM

2,806 posts, read 3,048,504 times
From the article:

""There is no need to be so pessimistic," he said. "After all, being a virgin isn't fatal."

It is fatal to the future of your genes, which is the main motivating factor to having sex in the first place. Of course you can rationalize it by saying how the world is such a horrible overpopulated place, you wouldn't want your genes to have a future in this world anyway. And this lines up with the notion of how pessimism about the future is sapping their confidence and creating all these virgins.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:03 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,250,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
It is fatal to the future of your genes, which is the main motivating factor to having sex in the first place.

Reproduction hasn't been in the top 100X motivating factors for me having sex. In fact, it is something I and a many of my peers have worked super hard to avoid despite the desire for lots of sex.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:31 AM

60 posts, read 47,960 times
For me it is kind of worrisome that so many men have not had the simplest thing that a person can enjoy in life. I mean think about it, when we didn't have this technology that we have today, what did people do?

Sex was one of the few things that people could do then. It was either that, work or travel.

I'm not saying its something that can define a persons' existence however I will say that it is a persons' natural right to at least get some.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:47 AM

8,581 posts, read 7,163,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananas84 View Post
For me it is kind of worrisome that so many men have not had the simplest thing that a person can enjoy in life. I mean think about it, when we didn't have this technology that we have today, what did people do?

Sex was one of the few things that people could do then. It was either that, work or travel.

I'm not saying its something that can define a persons' existence however I will say that it is a persons' natural right to at least get some.
The whole culture regarding sex and sexuality is just what we are born in to and come to understand as "normal" here.

It's neither bad or good...just different than what we know

Old 06-22-2015, 01:32 PM

8,018 posts, read 6,615,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
I dunno. Sex is like money. If you have as much as you need, it's not a big deal, and it's tough to see why it's a big deal for those who don't have it. If you don't need it and don't have it, it's not a big deal, either, and you might wonder why other people are so hung up on it. But if you need it and don't have it, it's a big deal.
Good point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
From the article:

""There is no need to be so pessimistic," he said. "After all, being a virgin isn't fatal."

It is fatal to the future of your genes, which is the main motivating factor to having sex in the first place. Of course you can rationalize it by saying how the world is such a horrible overpopulated place, you wouldn't want your genes to have a future in this world anyway. And this lines up with the notion of how pessimism about the future is sapping their confidence and creating all these virgins.
To sum up you simply despise virgins. It doesn't matter why these people are older virgins they just are. Accept it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananas84 View Post

If you don't have someone else's consent to do it then it isn't a right.

I have to wonder why this thread was made in the first place. Need someone to pick on OP?

Old 06-22-2015, 06:00 PM

10,026 posts, read 9,254,765 times
I'd rather date a virgin than a promiscuous man. Decent women would.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:23 PM

2,753 posts, read 1,981,376 times
I never understood the obsession with virginity, or "losing it". I wish we were in a time when people kept these things to themselves. Think about it: Unless someone is exceedingly attractive, do you really want to think about them copulating? A good way to put it out of your mind is to imagine an unattractive person(like Rosanne Barr or Hilary Clinton) nude, or body parts that turn you off, like anuses or smelly feet and armpits.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:52 PM

7,964 posts, read 5,065,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Reproduction hasn't been in the top 100X motivating factors for me having sex. In fact, it is something I and a many of my peers have worked super hard to avoid despite the desire for lots of sex.
While I wholeheartedly agree with this view, as far as volitional and rational personal choices go, is it not the case that on a subconscious level, the desire to copulate stems from a desire to breed, and is inextricably intertwined with it? And further, do we not value in potential sex-partners precisely those anatomical characteristics that are most conducive to successful conception, gestation, birth, lactation and so forth? That is from the male side. And presumably from the female side, is it not the case that women who harbor zero interest in motherhood or conventional family nevertheless would find themselves attracted to potential mates who are well-suited to successful fatherhood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
I never understood the obsession with virginity, or "losing it". I wish we were in a time when people kept these things to themselves.
This is because in the modern West, we lack a credible coming-of-age ritual. Losing one's virginity serves as surrogate for that function, especially for males.

Consider: it is entirely possible to graduate from high school while still a "child", or to struggle in school and to earn one's GED much later in life. Likewise with a driver's license (many people attain one while very much still children, while many middle-aged or outright elderly persons lack one) or starting a professional career or even buying a house. A true coming-of-age ritual has to have something physiological about it. It probably has to be gender-segregated, mysterious, profound, transformative, seeped in cultural lore. Is there anything in modern society that fits this rubric, other than losing one's virginity?

Old 06-23-2015, 02:19 PM

2,753 posts, read 1,981,376 times
How about achieving something good and productive, like college or a job, or financial independence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia