U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 03:05 PM

722 posts, read 920,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
this thread is fascinating.

so, if you see a group of 30 som'n yr old unmarried vietnamese women what would you make of this?
they would be considered "old maids" back in Vietnam, and are most likely trying to marry a foreigner to help them get out of poverty for a better future.

thats the fastest way out, by marrying a westerner or US citizen.

I wouldnt do it , your their ticket out.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:20 PM

2,753 posts, read 1,973,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasva69 View Post
no, what?

It's a very old, and silly joke. An Asian person would be highly insulted by it. I can't think of a clean way to explain it, you'll just have to use your imagination. Or, ask someone.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:30 AM

4,849 posts, read 3,377,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
It's a very old, and silly joke. An Asian person would be highly insulted by it. I can't think of a clean way to explain it, you'll just have to use your imagination. Or, ask someone.
Use your imagination. By the way it isn't true.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:52 PM

2,753 posts, read 1,973,056 times
I know that, which is why I said it was a joke

Old 06-25-2015, 12:23 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I just find japanese women attractive nothing wrong with that.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

However, do you know what marrying a Japanese woman involve? Do you know their culture and mindset? Are you willing to learn Japanese? Can you even use chopsticks? Do you think Japanese women are all subservient and obey all your wishes? Do you know what the Japanese eat everyday? Don't tell me it is sushi.

And you find Japanese women attractive. But how? How are they different from say Korean or Chinese women. Can you even tell the difference? Attractive physically or mentally? Are you attractive to Japanese women or to the idea of having a Japanese wife?

I happen to know 2 American guys who married Japanese wives. Both of them studied Japanese culture and language in college and both can speak Japanese fluently, have been to Japan several times and know the Japanese culture quite well. That's successful cross culture marriage.

For most white Americans, however, wanting to marry a Japanese girl is nothing but an exotic idea, something they want to "try" in life. They don't plan to make much meaningful effort to understand her culture and tradition, or to learn her language. They just want a non-white wife, since Japan is a rich country with a good reputation and has sort of a strong overseas culture influence, then Japan it is! They plan to speak English to their wives all their lives, have no intention, or have no idea how to communicate with the wives' parents or relatives, and they intend to stick to their pure western lifestyle all their marriage and expect the wives to convert thoroughly to western tradition, although it would be nice to keep something "Japanese" at home just to feel different and bit "exotic".

In reality, unless you have strong interest in Japanese culture and plan to speak Japanese well, such marriages are bound to fail, and neither of you will be happy.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:28 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
they would be considered "old maids" back in Vietnam, and are most likely trying to marry a foreigner to help them get out of poverty for a better future.

thats the fastest way out, by marrying a westerner or US citizen.

I wouldnt do it , your their ticket out.
there are plenty of US citizens they are pis*ing poor.

I mean, how many American men between the age of 25 and 35 have enough cash or net asset that can last them without having a job for 6 month? many probably can't survive 4 weeks.

Of course Americans in general are wealthier than Vietnamese, but to marry someone to get out of poverty is sheer stupidity. Do they really expect those white Americans who pull them and their family out of poverty will treat as a complete equal in the marriage? Those white husband will always feel superior, explicitly or not, and it would be totally unrealistic for him to respect her Vietnamese tradition.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:31 PM

14,724 posts, read 10,616,557 times
Does not adhere to forum guidelines.

Thread closed

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-25-2015 at 07:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or